Inverted Boxer Sle -- After hindenburging -- How to prevent

Forum for kitesurfers
makalu
Rare Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Inverted Boxer Sle -- After hindenburging -- How to prevent

Postby makalu » Wed Jul 11, 2007 7:02 pm

Yesterday was the second time it happened.
I was on my 9 boxer sle. (absolutely love this kite)
Jumped in a gust and then there was a lull. As well as
the kite got behind me in the window.

It dropped down with the leading edge
facing the wind. Suddenly another gust came
and invered it. :o

After inverting, I somehow got it flying the right
way again, but the leading and trailing lines got
crossed on each side.

It would be good to know some technique to prevent
this. Or atleast get the lines uncrossed without having
to come onto the beach. Anybody have any ideas :?:

Windrider
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Location: Kailua, Hawaii, currently riding EH and OR kites (2013 Razor rocks!)

Postby Windrider » Wed Jul 11, 2007 7:11 pm

I'm betting that prevention is the only cure....

Sounds like you are describing a case where the kite has basically done a roll either forward or backwards through its lines. It inverted, then uninverted by completing a roll through the lines. I've never heard of a way to do this type of roll on purpose which is what would be required to undo it. I had that happen to me once, and the kite flew fine enough in that weird position to get back to shore, to land it and fix it.

ScottM
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ScottM » Wed Jul 11, 2007 7:18 pm

If I get caught out and I figure I'll get under it, just loop it hard while it's still got speed and things should be good. Otherwise oversheet and stall it, if it's slightly overflying.

Depending on the kite, usually it'll tumble forward and roll through the lines. So I guess if you could land it tail first and then roll it back, it could work.

Depending on the conditions I'll self sort or bring it to the beach and sort if I do tumble the kite. You should be able to tumble a fair bit and relaunch no problem.

Experimental player
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Experimental player » Thu Jul 12, 2007 3:36 am

I have seen kites with bridles have one wing tip flip over bow tie and start working like a propeller.

Once I actually saw a rider pulled all the way out of the water connected to suicide leash and had to release the kite into the car park.

5th line would have saved this stupid accident.

MissionMan
Very Frequent Poster

Postby MissionMan » Thu Jul 12, 2007 5:41 am

Experimental player wrote:
5th line would have saved this stupid accident.
I saw a North get torn in two by its 5th line when it inverted. When they do, you're royally &*#% with a kite that will get torn apart by the 5th line. I'd rather have a swim to shore than have to replace my kite.

Do us a favor, stop all this crap. You sound like a 2 year old playing the same episode of Barnie the dinosaur 20 times in a row and its starting to get really boring now.

You pissed off cause your mommie won't buy you the latest bow kite? Or just pissed off because your favorite c kite was replaced with a bow?

surfingwithkites
Very Frequent Poster

Postby surfingwithkites » Thu Jul 12, 2007 6:47 am

you can un do an inversion in the water if your bar is simple and has minimal tangle points, bells, whistles, stopper balls, doo-dads, toggles, hooks and horns. You just disconnect leash if you are wearing one and pass bar through the center lines quickly before that wind comes back too strong. The trick is to correctly weave the bar on the first go and not make things worse. It is not a "safe" procedure of course but fairly easy with a fixed bar set up. Long depower ropes and chicken loops make it much more dangerous although I did it once with a naish shockwave 9. I also failed more than a few times and ended up making a bad situation worse and swimming in. In general the best solution is to relaunch inverted and kite to the beach to fix it. I sometimes see guys kite for hours with inverted lines when the waves are good but this leads to worn out lines.

I have seen a few riders untangle some crazy shit out in the water doing multiple weaves of bar through lines, launching and looking, crashing and weaving some more, etc. Pretty dangerous thing to do though so I wouldn't recommend it. Some guys are amazingly good at it. Tophat could be the potential world champion deep water line untangler. Or maybe Reo.

ScottM
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ScottM » Thu Jul 12, 2007 12:37 pm

Yeah SWK is right about being careful with the weaving bit, kites with pulley bars are trickier and you have to really make sure you've got it in your mind what needs to be done, cause it can easily go wrong or you end up with a more complex twists. If it's quicker to go in and sort I'll do that, otherwise just be sure what you need to do before you do it!

Al_Kiter
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Guincho
Style: Surf
Gear: Wave SST 9m, 7m, 5m
Airush Converse 6'1'', FW EVO 5'3''

Re: Inverted Boxer Sle -- After hindenburging -- How to prev

Postby Al_Kiter » Fri Jul 13, 2007 10:43 am

makalu wrote:It dropped down with the leading edge
facing the wind. Suddenly another gust came
and invered it.
I currently fly SS Turbodiesels and the few times thes Kites have inverted was exactly in the same situation you describe: I blow a jump, the kite flies over the window and falls from the sky with the leading edge facing the wind, then a gust inverts it.

Every time this has happened to me I have managed to bring the kite immediately back to shape simply by pushing the bar away and tensioning the front lines.

If you then bring the kite up again and find that the lines are crossed because the kite has rotated horizontally, it's really not a problem because the kite can still function this way. Just come back to the beach and reconnect the lines.

makalu
Rare Poster

Postby makalu » Mon Jul 16, 2007 6:24 pm

Every time this has happened to me I have managed to bring the kite immediately back to shape simply by pushing the bar away and tensioning the front lines.
Will be giving this a try next time it happens. Looks like the consensus
is to get back to the beach with the crossed lines to fix it
up.

rafjaf
Medium Poster

Postby rafjaf » Tue Jul 17, 2007 4:36 pm

Have to say that it's ahpening to me quite a lot.
I have boxer 9 and 12 (do love them too :D ).
But I'm starting to loop now and crash more often than before :roll:
Hapenned to me up to four time in a session to have the kite flying inverted, usually i just crash it in the water on the LE and try to either pull hard on the front lines and then let the kitedrift and roll over, I sometimes try to put more pressure on one of the back line(like if I was relaunching and it works too sometimes.
What worries me is the tension on the stitches.
" weeks ago while i was DELFATING my 9 the stitches of one of the struts just ripped apart :(
And during that session the kite inverted.
I can't say that it's related but was just wondering if it could.
Kite in repair now.

Return to “Kitesurfing”