Anyone tried swim goggles?

Forum for kitesurfers
Kiterzee
Rare Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Kiterzee » Tue Aug 07, 2007 4:28 pm

Check this brand out! A bit pricey but design looks awesome.

I'm trying to get some myself here in Asia.

http://www.triggernaut.com/english/start.htm

docuk
Medium Poster

Postby docuk » Tue Aug 07, 2007 4:38 pm

Bud i wouldnt rule out glasses entirely even thop u have had little success.

Perhaps u need smaller glasses that let tonnes of air in and around them.

i just buy a "nice" pair of sunglasses from tesco for a fiver and put tape on the arms and use them.

If they cloud up i just put them down me nose just a bit more till they clear no problem

And if you lose them then just get another pair.

With contacts ur still not getting protection from squinting ur eyes and the crows feet you will ineviatably get.

So i think glasses are the superior choice if you can get a pair to work for you.

They also deflect a lot of the water spray to boot.

Kiterzee
Rare Poster

Postby Kiterzee » Tue Aug 07, 2007 5:29 pm

A picture says a thousand words. Essentially all the benefits of goggles without the disadvantages, keeps water out but doesnt fog up.

http://www.triggernaut.com
Attachments
triggernaut system.jpg
triggernaut system.jpg (122.98 KiB) Viewed 784 times

spork
Very Frequent Poster

Postby spork » Tue Aug 07, 2007 5:53 pm

Kiterzee wrote:A picture says a thousand words. Essentially all the benefits of goggles without the disadvantages, keeps water out but doesnt fog up.
While I would generally agree with that notion, I'm not sure what message that picture offers. Those don't appear to be water-tight (goggles would keep water from splashing in my eyes). What keeps them from fogging up just as much as any other sunglasses?

daft
Frequent Poster

Postby daft » Tue Aug 07, 2007 9:32 pm

Bron-Yr-Aur wrote:I spend a ton of dough on disposable contacts cuz I have to chuck 'em after every sesh, otherwise I risk eye infections which I've had a couple and they can cause some pretty inconvenient side effects like permanent blindness if you don't treat right away. I wear Sea Specs to provide some protection for the contact lenses I wear (can't see the kite without contacts, need to keep 'em in!).
Why not get the prescription version of Seaspecs? They add a ridiculous $150 to the cost, but it sounds like contacts are more trouble and expense anyway. BTW I don't see why these sunglasses makers charge so much for prescriptions when you can get prescription regular glasses for only $8 online http://zennioptical.com/cart/home.php?cat=20

Bron-Yr-Aur
Rare Poster

Postby Bron-Yr-Aur » Tue Aug 07, 2007 11:50 pm

Yeah I'm planning to pick up some RX sunnies this year. My eyes are -8.0 which is really freakin bad and I have always had better vision with contact lenses cuz glasses are such a high refraction things invariably get distorted. Contacts give me kick ass 20/20 vision plus great peripheral vision which glasses do not. I think it's just simpler to refract light with a lens right on your eye versus looking thru a lens sitting 1/4" or so away.

I have worn contacts for over 20 years and my eyes are used to them, using glasses for a few days actually makes my eyes feel uncomfortable. That's one reason I would not recommend using plano contacts cuz it takes a while for your eyes to adjust to having something in there.

New contact models are super comfy and I typically don't have issues losing them especially with Sea Specs on. I exaggeratd a little on the cost... they are less than $10 a pair and my insurance picks up some of the cost. Still it adds up over time but not really too bad. You can also scrub 'em up real good and get another day or two but just be careful. I'm lazy so I just toss em out.

Also I have only had one bonafide "infection" where my eyesight was at risk & treated with anitbiotics. I've had another 2 "irritations" that could have become infections if I didn't stop wearing contacts for a few days and treated with steroids. These were all due to wearing lenses in the water and not replacing or cleaning soon enuf (like several days, not too smart!).

Way too much info and kinda hijackin Spork's thread, but definitely pays to take care of the peepers especially on the water!

knyfe
Very Frequent Poster

Postby knyfe » Wed Aug 08, 2007 12:35 am

Spork, did you try something else than the spit on your goggles? I always use some type of water repellent stuff on mine which makes sure that they stay clean. Works reasonable well that stuff if you spent some time upfront.

I always have my bottle with me so I can give it to you the next time I see you at 3rd.

CU G

alpower
Very Frequent Poster

Postby alpower » Wed Aug 08, 2007 4:00 am

I've been using the Oakley Water Jackets and if you treat them with the solution that comes with it before each session the water spots and salt don't build up. If you don't treat them it gets tough to see after a while but you will have the same problem with googles. When I used to race dingy's I used a google that was purposely made for sailing, it looks like a swim google but much bigger lenses. Fogging was an issue though but I'm sure they've come a long way in 25 years!

spork
Very Frequent Poster

Postby spork » Wed Aug 08, 2007 4:28 am

knyfe wrote:Spork, did you try something else than the spit on your goggles?
Haven't tried goggles yet when kiting - only sunglasses. I haven't tried spit, or anything else on them yet. Today I put a little bottle of de-fog (50% dish soap, 50% water) in the car. But I kited late in the day, so I haven't tried it yet.

That works OK on my dive mask, but I wonder how well it'll hold up with repeated splashes and inverted body drags.

Windrider
Very Frequent Poster
Location: Kailua, Hawaii, currently riding EH and OR kites (2013 Razor rocks!)

Postby Windrider » Wed Aug 08, 2007 4:38 am

alpower wrote:I've been using the Oakley Water Jackets and if you treat them with the solution that comes with it before each session the water spots and salt don't build up. If you don't treat them it gets tough to see after a while but you will have the same problem with googles. When I used to race dingy's I used a google that was purposely made for sailing, it looks like a swim google but much bigger lenses. Fogging was an issue though but I'm sure they've come a long way in 25 years!
Oakley Water jackets are like $195, and they look just like the $60.00 SeaSpecs!

It's the fancy holes in the frame that prevent them from fogging up. Looks kind of gay (like lace), but they work. Just walk proud when wearing them, and everyone will think you're French.....

Return to “Kitesurfing”