Monkey Griffin kite

Forum for kitesurfers
undae
Rare Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby undae » Sun Sep 23, 2007 2:15 pm

There is nothing unsafe about the pulleys that come with the Monkey Griffins. They are the same ronstan pulleys that are found on all major brands.

The Griffin is one of the best kites on the market. Myself and a handful of other people have personally tested it against many leading brands. This is what we have concluded:

-Excellent wind range for all sizes. Low end power and upwind ability is most impressive when compared to other brands.

-The range of depower is second to none. SAFE,SAFE,SAFE.

-The option of 2:1 or 1:1 gives the rider the greater flexibility in terms of bar pressure.

-Stability of the kite is extraordinary in any wind condition. VERY STABLE.

The 2008 kites will be coming out late November and will include the following changes:

-An optional 2nd bridal will be available to make the kite fly more like a hybrid/C-shape. The standard bridal will be the same as this year with one change. The high wear areas of the bridal will come with a thicker replaceable spectra line. No more having to replace entire bridal pieces, only one short length of line that can be obtained from any shop.

-More reinforcement in the construction of the kite.

-The bar will have less bar pressure in the 2:1 setting.

-There will be an optional swivel for the center line available for the bar.

-Optional segmented lines will be available for the bar.

Overall the 2008 Griffin will have the same great performance, range and safety as the 2007 Griffin. The greatest change is that the rider will have more flexibility and options with the kite. This will give you the performance and feel you are looking for. There’s nothing standard about the 2008 Monkey Griffin!

http://www.monkeykitesusa.com

oshaugho

Postby oshaugho » Sun Sep 23, 2007 3:50 pm

Hey undae

Whats the price for the new griffins gonna be?

Same wind range as last years?

What do you think a realistic low end would be for 95kgs intermediate on 140x40 board?

Thanks,
Owen

uncleneil
Frequent Poster

Postby uncleneil » Sun Sep 23, 2007 4:35 pm

aprok wrote:
uncleneil wrote:
k2ski3 wrote:On a 42cm wide board I can ride downwind in 8-9 knots on the 12m & head upwind around 10-11knots. However, I have a lot of lightwind practice and fly the kite very aggressively to get 8-9knots.

I haven't really found the top end. I have been comfortable with the kite in gusts up to 30knots, but prefer the 9m kite in those conditions since it is a jumping machine and my favorite of the 7,9,12, & 15.

All my feedback is on 1:1 bar setup.

The kite has good construction and reinforcements in the right spots on the leading edge. I have been using them as school kites all summer and my only problem has been pin-hole leaks in the leading edge from students crashing them hard in the dune grass with sharp growth shoots.
He's also a bit biased as he owns a dealership that sell Monkey Kites. Very biased I would say. From all the replies though I think you got you answer. I got to demo one before and hated it. The stopper sucks and the kite loves to jellyfish. It makes the bar pulsate.

No affiliation to anyone.
Uncleneil, what kites do you sell? Or your friends do? :nono2: No affiliation to anyone :lamer:
So if I know someone who sells kites then that's my agenda? Huh!! Strange way of thinking but to answer I must say yes. But then so will 95% of this forum. We all have agendas I guess. Do I sell kites? No. I don't like that side of kiting as you can see the reaction of my post, my opinion of this kite is beat down by dealers. Sorry if the kite doesn't sell itself.

aprok
Medium Poster

Postby aprok » Sun Sep 23, 2007 8:25 pm

uncleneil wrote:
aprok wrote:
uncleneil wrote: He's also a bit biased as he owns a dealership that sell Monkey Kites. Very biased I would say. From all the replies though I think you got you answer. I got to demo one before and hated it. The stopper sucks and the kite loves to jellyfish. It makes the bar pulsate.

No affiliation to anyone.
Uncleneil, what kites do you sell? Or your friends do? :nono2: No affiliation to anyone :lamer:
So if I know someone who sells kites then that's my agenda? Huh!! Strange way of thinking but to answer I must say yes. But then so will 95% of this forum. We all have agendas I guess. Do I sell kites? No. I don't like that side of kiting as you can see the reaction of my post, my opinion of this kite is beat down by dealers. Sorry if the kite doesn't sell itself.
just do a search of your own posts.

HAIRYTEETH
Rare Poster

Postby HAIRYTEETH » Sun Sep 23, 2007 9:16 pm

sounds like the kite was under inflated when you tested it.
ive tried lots of bows , and I can say that the griffen is as good as, and better than alot of the top brands heavily pimped 'bow kites' which have a hefty price tag and to be quite honest some suck!.
monkey kite have always been about making KS more affordable
and I think they have done a good job of this, and this in turn means people can enter the sport, buy new reliable equipment and not get ass reamed in the process.
if you dont wreck your kite and resell it at the end of the year you can expect to get most of your money back.
where as the top brands slash thier prices as the year goes on down to the true value of thier equipment and when you go to sell your 900£ kite you get ass reamed by the very brand you have been loyal to, as they are selling them new for 500£ to clear ,meaning you will be lucky to get 400 for your perfectly good kite
the griffen is a great kite with great range and without any performance issues! in my opinion
it maybe not the best of the whole bunch but when you factor in what you get for what you pay, not many brands give the same value for money lots of people at my local spot ride griffens and are stoked with there kites
and the 7m served me well in our nukin winter winds last year and I got most of what I payed for back when I sold it :thumb:
you suck not the kite
Ian

k2ski3
Medium Poster

Postby k2ski3 » Mon Sep 24, 2007 1:45 pm

The price is increasing slightly on the '08 models.

Hairy
Medium Poster

Postby Hairy » Mon Sep 24, 2007 2:32 pm

I've had a great time on the griffins.. I've a 12 and a 7 (I bought hairyteeth's old 7).

Been riding the 12 mostly all year.. Between the 2 kites, I've been riding in winds from about 13-40mph. Apart from replacing some bridle line and a couple of pulleys, no bother out of it.

I hope next year, they use better material and better lines. And drop the 100% depower slogan... my mate didn't have 100% depower when a 50knot squall came in while he was on a 7!

kitesurfwarehouse
Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: Blade , Griffin, 997 , Bang, Mystic , Skywalker

Postby kitesurfwarehouse » Tue Sep 25, 2007 2:08 pm

Again loads more positive feedback from end users

and a link to a very good monkey kites vid

http://community.flexifoil.com/showthread.php?t=129455

undae
Rare Poster

Postby undae » Tue Sep 25, 2007 4:11 pm

oshaugho-

Here are the prices for the 2008 Monkey Griffin kites complete.

18M - $1075
15M - $975
12M - $899
9M - $825
7M - $749

Chingadero
Medium Poster

Postby Chingadero » Wed Oct 17, 2007 1:42 am

Bottom Line! You get what you pay for

Return to “Kitesurfing”