All times are UTC + 1 hour

[ 45 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 3:46 am 
Medium Poster

Hey Rick,
I know this topic is old but thought this might be of interest.

Just got an o7 Waroo 2weeks ago. My first sle in 8yrs of kiting. I hated not being able to self launch as I must kite solo often. My first 7 tries to sand launched failed (bridal tangle),but no harm done as I hook my leash to top back line and release when bridal tangles on bottom. Three things I've learned for successful sand launch.

!) pull front bridal and flying line out and upwind of kite.
2)only fold wing tip to first bladder not past that. this leaves little area for sanding, pile it on and put some inside near crease in leading edge where folded. Pull out rear bridal and line. Ck for plenty of seperation from front bridal/line.
3) when lines begin to tension as walking back, grab bottom/back line leader and pull sand off tip. Rear/bottom lines are longer so this insures wing tip flips out before front/bottom bridal comes into play.

I tried this several times lately and worked each time. I feel quite confident now. Give it a shot as you can always drop bar to engage top/back line safety. -stack

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 3:54 am 
Very Frequent Poster

Thanks for your input. It would be good if people periodically added experiences to this post. I got out of the habit of sanding kites for solo launching once I moved on to flat kites. The models I started with were too stiff to allow this to be done reliably. Essentially, they would dig out even in lighter winds. Haven't tried it with Waroos, it sounds like they might be more flexible to allow this based upon your experience.

If your kite will stay put in a lower traffic area there is a lot to support using a solid anchor. This allows you to do a second effective check to make sure there are no tangles or misattached lines. I was going to try it today in fairly strong winds but my intended anchor was gone. Whoops. I evaluated the kite in advance to verify that it sits quietly even in strong wind.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 11:03 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

seastack1 - you really have to try the 'truck launch' - fixing the c-loop to a fixed object like your truck (lot's of posts on it, including the best forum). I've done this countless times with a waroo in widely varying conditions and it's way better than folding, which I used to do with C's and always hated, especially in big wind days.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 12:23 am 
Very Frequent Poster

I launch using the leaving flat at an angle method. Once I pop it so it fills with wind, I walk downwind to the side so it's in the launch position, with little power. From here you can check the bridles, but if done right, they should be cool anyway. From there, bring it up at your leisure.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 2:13 am 
Medium Poster

Guys I have self launch with both the fold over method and the anchor method probably 50 times or more with no bridle tangles. The reason is that I move all of my lines in front of the wingtip leading edge and hold them there with a big pile of sand. When i grab the bar i start upwind of where I need to be so that the lines will clear the tips, and once I have the lines tight enough to not catch the tip, I slowly walk down wind until the kite stops moving and launches.

If you are tangling your bridle on the wing tip it's because you are not making an effort to keep all of the lines in front of the tips when you are doing the launch.

The anchor method is the bar... if you want to keep it safe and easy just bring a bag with caribiner on it and fill it with sand. It's soft and isn't going to kill someone if it gets launched.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 4:30 am 
Medium Poster

fkb,
I agree bridals need to be free n clear. Twice I had the rear bridal snag strut end(deflectors my ass) when I had bridals carefully pulled out,seperated and sanded. I presume that the curved wingtip causes the wing to unfurl rather than flop over thereby snagging the bridal as it passes the last strut. By not folding past that strut the bridal has no chance of snag. Takes a lot of sand ina small area and some inside the crease to hold down the leading edge. Not sure if pulling the back line in is doing anything or not but what I'm trying to do is watch as the lines rise and pull the rear/lower bridal and wingtip with or before the bottom front bridal tensions. Seems to work fine so far.....

I will try the anchor method also but I keep picturing the "guy with the jet pack flying into the power lines" commercial. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 5:32 am 
Very Frequent Poster

A couple of thoughts from a foil flier:

Bridle tangles are going to happen to everyone at some point if you have bridles so have a proper safety that will flag the kite. Be prepared to use it.

You should be able to maintain stable flight without a looping kite by steering the kite. You may have to pull in a lot more on one side of the other and the kite may sit far back in the window. You may have to pull on a leader line. Pay attention and keep flying it rather than letting it loop.

The wind and line tension should naturally untangle the bridle as long as there are no knots. Try short repeated jerks on either the center lines or the tangled line to free them. Best not to do this with powerlines or jetties downwind of you.

Sometimes flying the kite leading edge first into the water can pop the tangled wingtip out allowing relaunch. Also just reverse launching it can sometimes get the tangled line around the wingtip.

Finally, avoid overpowering conditions so small problems don't quickly turn into big problems.

Jake

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 6:47 am 
Frequent Poster

Photo of truck launch.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 7:00 am 
Medium Poster

Good depowering 5 line C kites will do this and a lot of other stuff that SLE kites can and can't do.

Shame less plug here
http://www.newkiteboarding.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 10:07 am 
Very Frequent Poster

Instead of folding the wingtip and risking a bridle tangle get a large freezer bag or two and fill with sand. Place these on the inside of the kite to hold the wing tip down without folding the tip. When you launch the kite the bags slip off the back. There are also sand bags made for kiting that are a little more slippery than a freezer bag.

[ 45 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next