All times are UTC + 1 hour

[ 45 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 11:27 am 
Very Frequent Poster

If you are doing it right, bridle tangles should not happen. If I get time I'll sketch how the kite should be setup and the steps.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 1:04 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

Dude, kites + bridles (or pulleys, or anything else that could go wrong) = bad

Post subject: Re: WARNING - Flat Kite Solo Launching
PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 1:19 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

[quote="RickI"]I
As a rule if a wing tip is wrapped the obvious approach is to drop your bar, pop your chicken loop quick release and set the kite free. Otherwise you will likely be dragged uncontrollably downwind with disabled depowering.
transcribed by:
Rick Iossi

quote]

or if youre launching unhooked all you have to do is drop the bar. as your being launched into the air and dragged down the beach do you really think your gonna be able to hit that CL release and be sure its gonna release and not have something tangled?

If youre pulld off your pins you can often entangle the CL line around your hook, have a bar end caught ect, have a shitty safety that doesnt release well. a donkey dick that jams the safety, or have your finger torn off by the CL release.

ITS time to reconsider the UNHOOKD LAUNCH

ps pulling in excessive front line length (above the CL at the depwr strap) works to save a looping kite BUT ONLY IF ITS A REAR LINE tangle, if its a front line tangle this wont stop the looping of course and how can you tell. ITs saved my ass once but I was on the water and had tons of space downwind of me to try several things. If it was happening to me on hte beach I would sooner drop the kite than try to stop a loop using this method

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 1:46 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

mv wrote:
Instead of folding the wingtip and risking a bridle tangle get a large freezer bag or two and fill with sand. Place these on the inside of the kite to hold the wing tip down without folding the tip. When you launch the kite the bags slip off the back. There are also sand bags made for kiting that are a little more slippery than a freezer bag.

Excellent point about the slipperiness of the bag being an important factor!

Another important factor is the shape of the bag. The classic sand bag sold for launching has about 4 separate compartments sewn into the bag. This type of bag can quickly become a "saddlebag" riding one of the kite lines. during a self-launch, I have had a very nerve wracking walk, all the way up to the location of the sand bag, as the trapped line slides under the sand bag, and acts to tension the trapped line, and thereby, add a great deal of challenge to the control of the kite. Upon reaching the location of the sand bag, I have had to physically lift the sand bag off the line, and throw it aside, while holding the bar against the ground, and thereby, temporarily giving up control of the kite.

Something like a beach ball, slit down one side, to allow it to be filled with sand, might make a good slippery, cheap alternative to a sand bag. It might form a good stable flat spot on the bottom, and then, maybe, even roll off the kite, when the kite is tensioned for launch.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 4:09 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

Thing is with a self launch like an assisted launch, making sure the bridles are not wrapped is part of the exercise. In a self launch if the lines are set up right, they should not wrap. Also while the kite is in the leading edge down position now with power in it, you can do a double check to make sure the bridles are clear, something which will be obvious. From there, walk downwind and make the kite roll so you can do a powerless launch. :D

[ 45 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5