Forum for kitesurfers
dimach
Medium Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby dimach » Tue Oct 16, 2007 1:33 pm

Thanks Paul!

I've been to the spot couple of times, and I think it is more prone to sudden wind changes compared to the other side of the bay.

NW is coming from the City, so the bay is just barely enough to smooth it a little ... SW is much cleaner.

PBKiteboarding
Very Frequent Poster
Style: New School
Gear: Fone
Nobile
Ozone Water & Snow
Flysurfer
Flyboards
Ocean Rodeo
Seaspecs
Location: PBKiteboarding.com Sales-Repair-Lessons Ozone, Aboards, Flysurfer, OR, Canada USA Worlwide

Postby PBKiteboarding » Fri Oct 19, 2007 4:37 pm

Actually SW is best for Cherry but not for Thommy West on the other side... West is best and the wave are best in W. In SW it is very gusty going into the bay for flat water (Wind comes over trees). If you were to this spot in W - NW without a boat, you would be able to get back to Cherry. I've had many great sessions in W-NW, about 50-60 4-5hr Sessions. See pict.... Great view of Toornto. Those who don't have boats another spot, Toronto Island via Ferry for W-NW... NW is gustier there since it is closer to the city. So I prefer this spot.

Wind over water here can be very gusty at times as well... Even on an East wind from 100's of Kms over water. or S SW, including thermal days in summer.

Also, this day Oct 12th... We look at spring and fall as out windy season.
Aphid link. Shows how kiters can go out with a good forecast of 15-20mph... 9-10am, while meteorologist are tracking a storm in Buffalo, where the cold front had already passed. They later post an advisory in the afternoon, and then environment Canada posts as well, in the afternoon while we are kiting. This is a water effect storm "aphid" Lake Storm from Lake Erie. Historic event.

So again, beware of weather and forecasts... If they say it will be 15-20mph when you leave homefor a day of good wind... know your gear and take safety precautions. There may be no cold front to see since it already past. Yeah, wind can go from 20 to 70mph in 5 sec... but sometimes you have to have been there imagine.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lake_Storm_%22Aphid%22
Toronto received the side effects from the Buffallo Storm.

Our cold air and big warm lakes make fall kiting a littlemore unpredictable.

See your in UK now...

Thanks Paul!

I've been to the spot couple of times, and I think it is more prone to sudden wind changes compared to the other side of the bay.

NW is coming from the City, so the bay is just barely enough to smooth it a little ... SW is much cleaner.

alpower
Very Frequent Poster

Postby alpower » Mon Oct 22, 2007 8:46 pm

A few things to add to this story. First of all I'm friends with all 3 of these guys so I don't want to stir anything up but I believe all accidents are the unintended consequences of prior decisions. When you participate in any outdoor sports you are taking a calculated risk with the weather.

If I had known they were out that day I probably would have hitched a ride to the park with them and could have been there as well. Instead I went to Keswick, on Lake Simcoe, which is about 40 miles north of where they were. There was no one at Keswick but I blew up a kite, and donned my drysuit and waited to see if someone would come by. Many days I will go out alone but given the weather I decided today I wouldn't. What was bothering me was that several sensors had already gone off and the radio was reporting the highways closed by Niagra Falls due to heavy snow. This was no ordinary day and although the extreme nature of the weather was not forcast, there were weather warnings. When a snow squall rolled through Keswick, I packed up and went home.

I went through the ikitesurf archive data for that day and both Hamilton Harbour and Crystal Beach (about 30 miles SW)instantly went from about 20 to 45 mph at about 1:30, 3.5 hours before the accident.

I think just about all of us have kited on days where there are weather warnings. We count on being able to see things coming in time to get off the water, as opposed to just the forcast. This time it came so fast they didn't see it coming but there were other warnings, that weren't heeded. Like I say I don't want to sound like I'm preaching because given the opportunity I likely would have been there with them but after what happened to Jason I am much less likely to kite when there is a big front going to roll through, especially in the fall when they move much quicker than they do in the summer.

Lastly, I kited with both Jason and Ralph (I'm going to start calling him that) on Saturday. We had an awesome session and it's great to see Jason back to his old self. It was only a year ago they told his parents there was virtually no hope. Paul, you did an amazing job, thanks.

Al

RickI
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: SE Florida
Gear: Cabrinha
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha

Re: Incredible Lofting Story From The Great Lakes

Postby RickI » Mon Nov 16, 2020 9:03 pm

Rest in peace Jason. We never met but I do recall speaking with you after your squall lofting accident and 3000 ft dragging while unconscious in 2006. It was miraculous you survived that horrific accident including responding to CPR which has a relatively low success rate. It is impressive that you were able to rehabilitate from those injuries so successfully. From what I’ve heard you were a charger and a record big booster, hard at it all the time. The thing is some storms can undo the best among us. The second storm was simply too much and luck wasn’t on board this time. The storm was well forecast but apparently arrived a bit sooner than folks expected. It caused wide devastation through the area. Anyway, rest in peace, strength to your family and friends and for the rest of us, stay out of squalls. You never know just how strong they will be until they are upon you.

From Facebook:

"My dear friend Jason Maloney (nickname ghostrider in the community),
I will never forget you, your passion for kiteboarding was through the roof, I have never met someone who kite as much as you per year, you had the world record actually, this was so amazing!!!!
I have never seen you with a sad face, never! And always saw you with a huge smile and spiking eyes when you were around one of those windy lakes in Ontario 🇨🇦.
You were this king of the air, a legend who registered 1301 sessions on the #woo WOO Kite, beating all records, 180 hours in the air, jumping over 20m high...
Your lovely windy sport took you today, gone, gone forever. The wind that you loved so much and lived for took him away from us forever, so so so sad, but you will never be forgotten!!!
RIP Jason.
I will miss you a lot buddy!
Love you.

Pascal Laplace

Please feel free to donate if you can to help out in this very difficult time, thank you 💕
https://everloved.com/life-of/jason-...8B8z5-oovnHEws

https://www.cp24.com/mobile/news/man...each-1.5189971

#kiteboarding #kitesurf #kitelife #kite #kiteaddicted #canada #lake #ontario #ozonekites Ozone Kites FLYSURFER Kiteboarding AlpineFoil #flysurfer #alpinefoil #flyingman"

RickI
Very Frequent Poster

Postby RickI » Mon Nov 16, 2020 9:05 pm

The local wind station reading which I understand may be on the low side due to land wind shadow.
Attachments
7E66AA1B-C04B-4039-B4E3-E0A91C734BC2.png

RickI
Very Frequent Poster

Postby RickI » Mon Nov 16, 2020 9:07 pm

Harsh details from the accident scene from Facebook.
Attachments
64EB1B0D-EC4C-4483-9B58-752D55837976.png

RickI
Very Frequent Poster

Postby RickI » Mon Nov 16, 2020 9:07 pm

RickI
Very Frequent Poster

Postby RickI » Mon Nov 16, 2020 9:08 pm

A commemoration

These users thanked the author RickI for the post (total 2):
Toby (Mon Nov 16, 2020 10:30 pm) • a99 (Mon Nov 16, 2020 10:51 pm)
Rating: 6.06%

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Mon Nov 16, 2020 10:28 pm

in the video it doesn't look windy at all?
Must have been a freak squall ??

RickI
Very Frequent Poster

Postby RickI » Mon Nov 16, 2020 10:38 pm

Toby wrote:
Mon Nov 16, 2020 10:28 pm
in the video it doesn't look windy at all?
Must have been a freak squall ??
I just saw a rough video clip, it was very violent storm. I am seeing if I can receive permission to post it.

It is a terrible irony that that this kiter was killed by squall loftings, twice within a 1/4 mile of both locations.
The first time he was successfully revived with CPR but tragically the second time he was not.

The storm was well forecast and anticipated with wide spread warnings about damage it would bring about from high winds. There was nothing unexpected or freakish about it other than some say it was early.
https://www.theweathernetwork.com/ca/ne ... fall-storm
These users thanked the author RickI for the post:
matth (Tue Nov 17, 2020 2:15 am)
Rating: 3.03%

Return to “Kitesurfing”