All times are UTC + 1 hour

[ 44 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Some pointers to big kiteloops.
PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2007 12:37 am 
Very Frequent Poster

So I took the 12 Helix out in pretty powered conditions, and wanted to try some powered kiteloops. I have been doing them fine in more moderately powered conditions...most with back rolls both from regular and from toeside.

I have then pulled the trigger a little, initiated the roll, and once you get the lift you pull the trigger more fully to get the loop pull around see the kite sweep low and spot the landing....and ride away. I've held my hand fairly close to the bar to not pull too hard. Still want that loop to be sweeping a little.

Now yesterday, I did the same. Put I got a monster pull upwards...more like a catapult, get around see the kite sweeplow, and the water coming at me 1000mph. and crash..and get dragged through the water at mach 1. . I am guessing I should not hold my hand so close to the bar, but any other advice before I try it again? I mean I will not try it with a surfboard this time, and maybe hold off on the back rolls until I get the feel for these powered ones. Btw. I it really felt like those C-kites when pulling the trigger like that....on my way towards the surface I really wished I could let go of the bar..but alas I did it hooked in...there is no way in hell I would be able to hold to a pull like that though.

Accordning to someone on the beach I fell from over 20 feet...I don't know. I do know it hurt...but I am trying again. Maybe with my grip more towards the end of the bar so I get more leverage and can let some power out of the kite...

any tips will be highly appreciated.
a.

{ SHARE_ON_FACEBOOK } { SHARE_ON_TWITTER } { SHARE_ON_ORKUT } { SHARE_ON_DIGG } { SHARE_ON_MYSPACE } { SHARE_ON_DELICIOUS }
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2007 3:24 am 
Rare Poster

Sounds like the loop was just too slow and the kite just didn't get up above you in time to provide lift. Try looping it faster. As long as you loop the kite while you are on your way up, a fast loop should still give you plenty of power and give you some lift to make the landing smoother.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2007 5:12 am 
Very Frequent Poster

the only pointer youll ever need.

dont try lenten loops on a 12m flat kite
(youll only break something you value)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2007 7:08 am 
Very Frequent Poster

Just watch me next time.
I show you, but all it really is, it's in your head.
If you have any doubt half way through , you crash.
Also, don't go with speed, just power in the kite.
And use your 9m not that big ass 12m.
De-power your kite more

You'll get it.
Maybe tomorrow I can show you
and I try your kite to see the diff

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2007 9:34 am 
Very Frequent Poster

sounds good. I also think it is in my head there...I did follow through, but I just lost the board after the pull was so hard...I guess using a directional isn't all that smart ;-)

It seemed that the kite is fast enough, I did a double kiteloop today, but not very high up.

As you guys said, I tried it a little more depowered, but a little faster. It didn't go as high and there was no super pull....

Bull: I will not try it at your spot though...after seeing you land on your foot in about 3 inches of water after a kiteloop..... :-)
..but you are more than welcome to have a go on either one. :-)

A.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2007 11:51 am 
Frequent Poster

tautologies,

the first thing that came in my mind is the size you were using, 12m.
Big kites dont move fast and i've always had hard landings on big kites even on a 10m when I hit a high kitleloop.

But on my 7m I can go higher and have more pull and a superfast ( but rather smooth ) landing. And, I try not to hold the bar closer to the middle, but more to the side, not at the very end of the bar but somewhere in the middle between the middle and the end of the bar.

Also, ok, Len10makes them extreme, but, if you notice his kiteloops, everything happens fast. Gains speed, pops , pulls ( rather hard ), and redirects the kite accordingly in a very fast pace. It just cant be a relaxed one if its gonna be big and powerful, it's got to be done fast.

Wanna go high and have tons of power and make it look extreme? It's got to be done extreme!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2007 2:30 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

guys it depends on the wind !!!
at less than 20knt i kiteloop a torch II 14m and it's fine so i guess that at less than 20 knt with a 12m HELIX it's also fine and no need to go a size smaller.
tautologies - what was the wind speed ?

i think that first you should use a twintip and try it unhooked - it's a lot easier.
begin your kiteloops as tight as you can and then make them bigger and bigger.
i do kiteloops with out the jump at the begging- i edge really hard and put both my hands on the same side of the bar. the loop it self with a precise timing pop lifts me some meters high and the kite offcourse launches me horizontaly. it's a lot of fun :thumb:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2007 4:19 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

we have wind tomorrow,
and yes, after my wipeout the other day...I am still hurting, but got lucky.
I love to kiteloop my 12m, that day I was on the 10m and I fubared it.
damn, I was real lucky.
Looked cool so, didn't it?

yikes...

anyway, start with a small kite in lighter winds to get your mind all giddy up.

No idea how the Helix reacts , but we will figure it out.

But, yes..we are not Ruben and don't want to be. I like my life..never mind the wipeout.
PS: thanx for catching my kite by the way

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2007 8:42 pm 
Frequent Poster

scklandl wrote:
the only pointer youll ever need.

dont try lenten loops on a 12m flat kite
(youll only break something you value)

not the biggest or best once but its a 12 meter flatkite (monkey griffin).
it wasnt very windy but you could def. do some nice loops on a 12 meter flat kite.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=YXD4cRehwA0

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2007 10:00 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

thx guys,

I can do the lower ones pretty good also with backrolls from toeside, but I think I got smacked not because the kite isn;t fast enough, but because I held my hand too close to the center, and then I couldn't depower at same time as I looped the kite...I got some pointers at the beach yesterday, but I'd be happy to receive some tips from BUlls :-)

I think we're getting somewhere though, using a TT is probably better, and maybe wait a little before I bail out. It really might be all about committing more.....

a.

[ 44 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next