Forum for kitesurfers
braveman
Medium Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Electric kite pump

Postby braveman » Sun Jan 15, 2012 10:35 am

misfit132 wrote:you know what: if you are too lazy to pump by normal pump than stop kitesurfing u lazy bastard!
If you like so much to bounce around like a jumping jack then feel free to keep doing so.
Some of us just enjoy the good life.

alexeyga
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2006
Weight: 200
Favorite Beaches: Ocean shore!
Style: Freeride dongling
Gear: Eleveight / Shinn / North / Axis / Slingshot / Airush

Postby alexeyga » Sun Jan 15, 2012 3:20 pm

braveman wrote:
misfit132 wrote:you know what: if you are too lazy to pump by normal pump than stop kitesurfing u lazy bastard!
If you like so much to bounce around like a jumping jack then feel free to keep doing so.
Some of us just enjoy the good life.
Fallowing through that definition of "good life" you should probably stay home on the couch, watch TV, drink lots of beer or coke, eat a lot of shit-food and get fat. Why are you out kiting anyways? It's so hard after all and to begin with you too freaking lazy to warm your-self up by pumping the damn thing manually.

Millera74
Rare Poster
Gear: Ozone & North

Postby Millera74 » Tue Jun 11, 2013 12:02 am

Just bought one of these electric kite pumps from windchasersports.com, and it has been the best thing yet. Way better than those Bravo pumps. The motor is more powerful and pumps the kite up quicker. Just very user friendly. Has a connecting carabiner to hold your kite down, and you can walk away and do your lines while your kite is pumping up. Has a sand filter too, which the Bravo didn't have in the past. It's probably not for everyone, but people who fly big kites, or fly inflatable kites for snow kiting would really enjoy this pump. Pumping kites in the snow is a real pain!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AZwJ9_mIydk
Attachments
942898_8c1a6c9efd4c2cd26bb2b5947cf28a02.jpg_srz_608_418_75_22_0.50_1.20_0.jpg
942898_8c1a6c9efd4c2cd26bb2b5947cf28a02.jpg_srz_608_418_75_22_0.50_1.20_0.jpg (37.01 KiB) Viewed 3335 times

Westozzy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Mandurah
Style: Freeride, wave
Gear: Rebel, Vegas 2012

Postby Westozzy » Tue Jun 11, 2013 1:54 am

What is the brand name of this pump. Reckon its the best I've seen yet. How long does it take to charge? Comes with a 240/ and 12v charger does it, for the power outlet and a cat inverter respectively?

Laughingman
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay
Favorite Beaches: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay, Long Bay, Cayo Guillermo, La Ventana
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Gen6 Flites 10m, 12m Gen2 Roams 6m and 8m, Cloud D 4.8, 6.2, 8.0, 10.4
Xeon Laluz, Mako Wide 150, Jellyfish Custom surf board quad fin 6', LF Impulse Foil and Kanaha Shapes 37" board
Engine Harness with slider

Postby Laughingman » Tue Jun 11, 2013 2:45 am

I recently purchased this pump. The one without the battery.
http://seamaxboat.com/page/33

I then purchased a 7amh liquid gel led battery for $30. I pumped 9 kites ranging from 5m to 12.5m. Most kites on the high side of that without recharging. It never missed a beat and did not show any sign of slowing down. I pumped each kite to 9psi. Charges overnight with a cheap battery tender junior.

Millera74
Rare Poster
Gear: Ozone & North

Postby Millera74 » Tue Jun 11, 2013 5:15 am

Westozzy wrote:What is the brand name of this pump. Reckon its the best I've seen yet. How long does it take to charge? Comes with a 240/ and 12v charger does it, for the power outlet and a cat inverter respectively?
It's being sold by a company called WindChaser Sports. The box said it was made in China. The company's website (www.windchasersports.com) states the following about the pump:
• Build in 12V Sealed Lead Acid Battery, Battery Capacity: 7AH
• Digital Control Set-pressure Increments: Per 1 Kpa (Per 0.15 PSI)
110/240V Travel Charger, 6 Hours Charging Time
• Smart Charger: Red Light for Charging & Green Light for Fully Charged
• 8ft Extension Power leads to connect on another external battery (ie. car/boat battery)
• Weight 13 Lbs with Large Pump Carrying Bag
• Carabiner connected to bag to clip onto the leading edge of the kite
• 6 ft flex hose with 3 different nozzles for kite inflation, and 8 adaptors for raft inflation

ronnie
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ronnie » Tue Jun 11, 2013 8:38 am

spork wrote:
tomatkins wrote: Here is a link that gives a good comparison of the 12V lead (gel cell) battery versus the Nickel Metal Hydride (Nimh) battery, comparing cost, weight, etc.

http://www.polmanminerals.com/html/battery_packs.html

The lead gel cell battery is about 3 times as heavy, and cannot be recharged as many times... but I would get the lead battery, still, for the sake of simplicity, recycling, and other reasons.
How you treat the batteries is critical. In a real-world scenario I'd say the gel-cells will usually take a lot more cycles than a NiMH. This is only because the NiMH is much more sensitive to being treated badly. But unlike NiCAD's, none of the mentioned batteries will respond well at all to a deep discharge. They can all be ruined quickly that way.

I use all three types for all sorts of things. But for this application the gel-cell is still the ticket. The gel-cell in my pump is several years old and has several hundred cycles on it.

No matter which battery you choose, it's critical that you get the right type of charger for that type of battery. They have different charge cycles, and leaving any of them on charge on the wrong kind of charger will ruin them. The lithiums are famous for their tendency to explode.

If you want a bullet-proof arrangement, you can get a battery and charger intended for a quality cordless drill. They have their own internal protection circuitry that will prevent them from over-charging, over-discharging, etc.

That being said, I'd personally keep it simple. This arrangement will be cheap and safe:

Power-Sonic battery charger: PSC-12500A $32.34
http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Pow ... MzKQ%3D%3D

Batteries: $19.99 http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wt ... XL370&P=ML

Just be sure to stop using the pump when the motors begin to slow down - or charge it even sooner than that.
VERY important bit of info there. I have killed a few batteries by heavy discharge, overcharging or not charging often enough.
You do need to learn how to maximise the battery life and follow that routine with the correct charger.

tplowe56
Frequent Poster

Postby tplowe56 » Sun Aug 18, 2013 3:01 am

I have the Bravo BTP 12 Digital. Great pump but I have an issue with the switch from high volume to high pressure. I keeps switching to high pressure too early in the inflation process. With the old analog models you could take it apart & adjust the tensioning so it would switch correctly.

It's really bad with the Cabrinha style valves which create more back pressure. It switches to high pressure almost immediately.

Anyone know how to adjust the switching pressure on the digital model?

tplowe56
Frequent Poster

Postby tplowe56 » Tue Aug 27, 2013 1:37 pm

Scoprega informed me there is no way to change the setting so I solved the problem by removing the back check valve on my one Cabrinha kite.

sharky79
Medium Poster
Gear: cabrinha

Postby sharky79 » Tue Aug 27, 2013 3:05 pm

try pressing the on/inflate button without letting go.
In the analog model when you press it then it is on the high volume mode and stays in that mode if you don't let go of the button.

Return to “Kitesurfing”