Electric kite pump

Forum for kitesurfers
SEIGO AKADO
Medium Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby SEIGO AKADO » Mon Oct 22, 2007 9:33 am

This kite pump is not designed to sepalate to inflate.
The patent of this pump is to have low pressure and high pressure in same pump which was really suit for one pump system that why I asked to Scoprega to make pump on July of 2003.
At that point I've seen John Doyle is using BST12HPP at The Gorge meeting of Slingshotwhen just had One pump enovation .
I wrote down the company name which is on John's pump and send e-mail to them to get one. After I received one I started to report which I want for kiteboarding then add bettery which is good enought inflate 8-9 kites(20.5-7 all ranges). And not make stop and go because regular BST12HPP designed for bigger diamater nosle then it keep chaging high pressure to low then high ...which wasn't efficent.
Normaly low pressure pump(blower) inflate 500l/min then high pressure pump inflate as 150l/min.Then next year Scoprega desided to make kite pump then they modified old models suit for kite inflation.
I received proto-type on July of 2004 at Milan then I showed at Slingshot importer meeting in Italy on same trip.
People are surprized because everything goes as automatic which is just good for One pump inflation even they thought this pump was made in Japan.
Anyway after then had many problems but almost solved.
Swithes changed to better quality one.
Propella inside of blower changed from ABS to Nylon.
Add cover to avoid sand comes in.(this one is too tight I hate it)
I'm not a electric technician.I just asked to Scoprega to make what I want.

As for the people who using this BST12 X-KITE.
Please don't lay down this pump on sand.Better keep stand pump on the kite which you are inflating.Even pump lay down sand won't come in.
Most of the dameges are cuased by sand.
Also not to keep pump out side of car all the time because the ocean wind
makes water drops inside of electric cercuit which makes short on elecricity
I belive Scoprega is suplying all parts for free every palce of the world as 2 years limit.If you have problem you can call to your loco dealer then they will get every unit .It might cost you freight fee but way better than using had pump.

I don't say if you use other model of Scoprega pump for kite inflation will brake such as BST12 or BST12HPP but those are not designed for kite inflation.

Also if you change pump as your way.You won't be able to get worrenty of 2 years.
Last edited by SEIGO AKADO on Mon Oct 22, 2007 9:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

spork
Very Frequent Poster

Postby spork » Mon Oct 22, 2007 9:48 am

Also if you change pump as your way.You won't be able to get worrenty of 2 years.
That's worth knowing, but my pump is already three or four years old. I love the pump, and I'm glad they made the changes to the low speed impeller. Like many, I've had various troubles with the electronics, and this modification circumvents the switches, relays, pressure cut-off switch, and pretty much everything I've seen fail electrically. Whether this mod is right for anyone else is for them to say. I've used my pump this way for at least two years, and definitely prefer it this way. I've also done this mod for a bunch of my friends. I've heard rumor that Scoprega was planning to offer a pump with this setup, and I think they would do well to do so. They could absolutely save money and produce a more robust product by eliminating parts that are both costly and failure prone.

The other change that would serve them well in my opinion is to offer a replaceable impeller for the low-pressure stage. It seems silly to replace the entire blower because a single piece of plastic fails.

Again, let's keep it in prespective. I love this pump. It's the only one I use.

ronnie
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ronnie » Mon Oct 22, 2007 10:06 am

I really like the pump too. I think the design spec. was right but unfortunately Scoprega have been unable to make it reliable enough.

I was going to mount my own switch, but found a dry solder joint on the circuit board was the problem.
The auto-change between stages has not been reliable. Sometimes it stays in high pressure mode when it should have started in low pressure. It seems that the gate which controls this is prone to stick. The off swith is also prone to stick on.

I agree with Spork. It would be best to manually switch between stages and decide when to switch the pump off by feeling the leading edge of the kite or a calibrated pressure gauge.
It would take a little experimentation to get used to when to switch it, so it would not be as easy to lend your pump to someone unfamiliar with it.

I have also had problems keeping batteries in good condition. Not a Scoprega problem, but it is difficult to get information on exactly how best to recharge it. I have 3 (bought one used) and they all seem to hold less juice now than they once did. I am using a Pro-lite Alpha121 battery conditioner to charge it.

SEIGO AKADO
Medium Poster

Postby SEIGO AKADO » Mon Oct 22, 2007 10:08 am

my pump is already three or four years old
Really? It seems the pump on your picutre has all new parts after 07.

It will be a good idea to make switch for electicity cut off for travel.
My prototype pump start to moving during I was ride on Airplane on the way back from Italy.I forgot to line off from battery on 2004 trip.

If you are using One pump system kite you'll notice how it works great for it.I put swith on and leave it then lay line it all done in 2min.30sec.for 15m kite if your line isn't tungled.

Isn't it great?

SEIGO AKADO
Medium Poster

Postby SEIGO AKADO » Mon Oct 22, 2007 10:24 am

Sometimes it stays in high pressure mode when it should have started in low pressure. It seems that the gate which controls this is prone to stick. The off swith is also prone to stick on.
If you push "ON" botten a little longer during it moving it will change.

If low one to high one doesn't make to change maybe it have small sand in between metal switch parts of electric magnet coil.

I have also had problems keeping batteries in good condition.
Are you useing bettery chager from your car or house cncent?
Normaly from Car takes 8 hours to charge and 10 hours from house concent.
If you park car without moving engine it will equalize electric pump battery and car bettery.
also if you charge bettery in sight ly used often then charge every time it will make memory of that average.You'll be better use completely.

deniska325
Rare Poster

Postby deniska325 » Mon Oct 22, 2007 11:53 am

Does anyone know anything about the NAISH kite pump? INFLATOR isn't it?
Last edited by deniska325 on Tue Oct 23, 2007 7:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

force10
Rare Poster

Postby force10 » Mon Oct 22, 2007 1:54 pm

you dont need an electric pump with all those nasty components to break and wear out and batteries to worry about, just get one of these. Saw a guy on the beach use it to pump his kites and when you get done you can pump your flat tire too! :thumb:
Attachments
6f0504c7-2e40-4b5f-9a6f-6eece5ad5b65_400.jpg
6f0504c7-2e40-4b5f-9a6f-6eece5ad5b65_400.jpg (15.18 KiB) Viewed 2373 times

tplowe56
Frequent Poster

Postby tplowe56 » Mon Oct 22, 2007 2:22 pm

Spork,

Thanks for taking the time an effort to document your mod. Next time mine goes out I will install your mod.

jbaflyer
Rare Poster

Postby jbaflyer » Sat Nov 17, 2007 8:10 pm

At Pismo we can drive on the beach, so I used a Viair 400 series and a five gallon tank, at 150PSI there is just enough air to fill a 16m very quickly. I have a 50' hose on it in my pickup. It is on a skid, weighs about 25 lbs. I hate pumping because I am 6'6" and the pumps are way to small. I used to get a hard time for using it, now trhee others copied my rig and who ever parks next to me wants to use it. It is almost 5 cfm, so it can inflate when pressure is low. The whole thing cost around 210.00 to make.

PAFF
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Frestyle and waves. Always unhookt
Brand Affiliation: Slingshot-Naish-Cabrinha-North-Best-Surftech.

Postby PAFF » Sat Nov 17, 2007 8:40 pm

spork wrote:[ Because it's heavy I always bring it as carry-on (keep the board bag to under 50 lbs).
Can you get this on a plane, whitout being Osama???

Return to “Kitesurfing”