All times are UTC + 1 hour

[ 130 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 13  Next
 Post subject: Re: Electric kite pump
PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 5:42 pm 
Rare Poster

Is this pump capable of pumping up more than 4 kites at a time? Once it looses pressure, can you just plug it into a wall and continue pumping it?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 8:41 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

MW wrote:
Is this pump capable of pumping up more than 4 kites at a time? Once it looses pressure, can you just plug it into a wall and continue pumping it?

How many kites it can do will depend on kite size and battery health. I'm pretty sure I can do 4 kites on my VERY old battery.

I'm not sure you could use the supplied charger to keep pumping up kites, but you can plug it into a cigarette lighter and pump forever. That means it would be trivial to set it up so you could plug it into an A/C power supply and pump forever.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 12:22 am 
Medium Poster

Any good alternatives to the Bravo BST yet? Something more durable? So much potential with this pump, but mine has been far from reliable. First I replaced the infamous low pressure pump and added the manual control switch mod. Next I replaced the high pressure pump b/c of pushrod failure from the mysterious loss of the pushnut that holds the pushrod on to the crank on the gear. Next I had pushrod failure again from the gear shaft wearing out the gear. Unknown cause. It seems like heat and vibration just eats these things up- not surprising since it's all plastic. Also, changed the battery, but it can only fill 1 1/2 kites at best before it gets too hot. I am looking for inexpensive and reliable alternatives, preferably not requiring manual labor so I can save my energy for the water. The Volo Kite pump looks interesting but expensive and impractical to always have to go have it filled. I am thinking of developing my own two stage pump, but would way rather buy an existing pump if it met my requirements. If only there was a 110 V AC power outlet at the launch site!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 12:37 am 
Very Frequent Poster

lieutenantglorp wrote:
Any good alternatives to the Bravo BST yet? Something more durable? So much potential with this pump, but mine has been far from reliable. First I replaced the infamous low pressure pump and added the manual control switch mod. Next I replaced the high pressure pump b/c of pushrod failure from the mysterious loss of the pushnut that holds the pushrod on to the crank on the gear. Next I had pushrod failure again from the gear shaft wearing out the gear. Unknown cause. It seems like heat and vibration just eats these things up- not surprising since it's all plastic.

Very sorry to hear that. I've had my pump for years. I did the manual switch mod, and replaced a couple of low-pressure stages before they upgraded the impeller. But it's been rock solid after that.

Quote:
Also, changed the battery, but it can only fill 1 1/2 kites at best before it gets too hot.

One thing to watch out for (that you probably know), is kite valves. Many valves cause enough back pressure that the pump will either go into high pressure mode prematurely, or simply take forever to pump in low-pressure mode. I hate valves, so the first thing I do is tear them out when I get a kite.

Quote:
I am looking for inexpensive and reliable alternatives, preferably not requiring manual labor so I can save my energy for the water. The Volo Kite pump looks interesting but expensive and impractical to always have to go have it filled.

You should be able to fill it for free at some gas stations, but I tried that approach briefly and didn't like it. A tank big enough to give me two fills is just too cumbersome to deal with.

Quote:
I am thinking of developing my own two stage pump, but would way rather buy an existing pump if it met my requirements.

I've thought of that too. The low pressure stages are a dime a dozen. The problem is that the high pressure stage is really an in-between stage for most purposes. The 12V pumps to fill car tires will go to much higher pressure, but much slower. I've never found a good intermediate reciprocating pump that can do 10-15 psi with reasonable flow rate.

Quote:
If only there was a 110 V AC power outlet at the launch site!

How about an inverter?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 12:38 am 
Very Frequent Poster

What about a power inverter, change your 12v car output to ac? Not enough power? Do you have an AC solution or were you thinking of building one?

lieutenantglorp wrote:
Any good alternatives to the Bravo BST yet? Something more durable? So much potential with this pump, but mine has been far from reliable. First I replaced the infamous low pressure pump and added the manual control switch mod. Next I replaced the high pressure pump b/c of pushrod failure from the mysterious loss of the pushnut that holds the pushrod on to the crank on the gear. Next I had pushrod failure again from the gear shaft wearing out the gear. Unknown cause. It seems like heat and vibration just eats these things up- not surprising since it's all plastic. Also, changed the battery, but it can only fill 1 1/2 kites at best before it gets too hot. I am looking for inexpensive and reliable alternatives, preferably not requiring manual labor so I can save my energy for the water. The Volo Kite pump looks interesting but expensive and impractical to always have to go have it filled. I am thinking of developing my own two stage pump, but would way rather buy an existing pump if it met my requirements. If only there was a 110 V AC power outlet at the launch site!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 5:55 am 
Frequent Poster

I used one coleman for years and had no trouble, it reached the end of it's life and the new one just did not perform as well.
I just bought one of these, http://www.dewalt.com/us/products/tool_ ... uctID=6220
you have to goof with the hose a little but it's not difficult to rig for kites, it's getting my kites up to 7 psi in the time it takes me to lay out my lines, I then finish the kite off with the hand pump.
The vacuum blower was $90 without a battery. I had some of the batteries for other tools so I don't remember how much the batteries retail for. A battery seems to have enough life to do 5 or 6 kites between charges.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 6:55 am 
Very Frequent Poster

I find it extremely hard to believe a vacuum could ever develop 7 psi. Are you sure it's not 0.7? Lots of people ride thier kites at 7 psi.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 12:47 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

why 110V and not 220V ? :D

7psi is nothing. today lots of kites need 9psi or even 10 psi.

there are small compresors for cars that connect to your lighter jack. they work fine but take 2-3 minutes more than my good old electric pump.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 2:08 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

eldadgold wrote:

7 psi is nothing for a reciprocating (piston) pump. But I find it hard to believe a centrifugal pump (vacuum cleaner) could ever pull 7 psi.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 3:10 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

spork wrote:
eldadgold wrote:

7 psi is nothing for a reciprocating (piston) pump. But I find it hard to believe a centrifugal pump (vacuum cleaner) could ever pull 7 psi.

You can have 10 psi, if you've got $1300 to spare - 6 stage turbine.

http://www.o-geepaint.com/Sprayers/wshvlp.shtml?photo=9

[ 130 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 13  Next