felixpivec
Rare Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Airush Generator is here

Postby felixpivec » Sun Oct 14, 2007 6:07 pm

Here it is in a nutshell
By Simon
Recently got a 5.5 and 7.5 Generator (flown on 20m lines on a pulley bar). Previously had been flying a 5, 7, 9 Fuel quiver again on a pulley bar. Have owned Crossbows, Yargas, Flysurfers, Fuels, etc. Have recently spent time on Revs, Bandits, Helixs, Ions etc. Mostly Ride waves.

Have had the kites out 3 times. 7.5 in 10-14 knots, 5.5 in 14-18 knots, 7.5 in 12-16 knots for a total of about 6 hours riding. The first session was measured with an anemometer the other two are a guess. The first and second sessions were cut short when the wind died all together.

My initial take is that this is quite simply and outstanding kite. My wife had a play on the beach the other day looping the 5.5 and came away with a smile from ear to ear. Previously I had copped an earfull for buying new kites and after trying them, her comment was why had I not gotten any earlier (availability obviously being a bit of an issue). Anyhow, the kites simply push the rider to step it up a gear. The smooth, managable but immediate power delivery make it a snap to position yourself on the wave. Unhooked and waving with the kite just feels awsome, like the kite is just an extension of your arm. The power delivery is impressive. Sine the kite and you can just about get going in any wind so long as the kite stays in the air.

Compared to the Fuel, here is an intial comparison:
- Generator is much faster through the window (crashed the kite whilst sining it on the first couple of runs as my timing was not geared to how fast the kite was moving).
- Generator feels like much smoother power delivery.
- Generator has more immediate power delivery.
- Generator is simply a much nicer kite to fly.
- Fuel has much better truck like pull. If I was into pure wakestyle I might still prefer the fuel. However, the Generator does seem to loop nicer than the Fuel.
- Generator requires constant input (at least in the more marginal winds I have flown it in to date). I am not sure if I could get going earlier on the 9 Fuel or the 7.5m Generator (it would be close either way). However, one thing I have noticed with the Generator is that it pretty much requires constant input. With the Fuel, if you are working the kite and a gust comes in, you can lean back straighten the hips and relax for a minute until it dies off. However with the Generator, if you stand up, relax and stop working the kite the power basically turns off.
- The Generator would suck at park and ride compared to the Fuel (1. This is just my opinion and 2. As mentioned earlier the kite just seems to crave constant input).
- The Generator is more sensative to trim than the Fuel. Has a bit of a greater tendancy to hindenburg compared to the Fuel.
- The Fuel has a much greater tendancy to let the rider get bogged down on the wave. The speed of the Generator, its immediate power delivery and willingness to fly forward in the window provide a great punch when making top or bottom turns.

All in all, I am super happy with the kites, and whilst I reckon that it really takes a few weeks to truely come to terms with a new kite, I would have to say that if I heard that they were not making this kite next year I would just about head out tomorrow and by 3 of each size to keep me going for the next few years. A really impressive effort from the Airush Team. I have no idea how they might work with a chicken loop, but for fixed, uhooked wave riding the really do seem like the shit. Definately worth the wait.

Go out and try

gotwind
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: The Flats, Tunnels, Wailua, The Pu, Kingdoms
Favorite Beaches: The Flats,Tunnels, and Waiehu
Style: wakestyle
Gear: Airush
Brand Affiliation: Airush Team Rider

Postby gotwind » Sun Oct 14, 2007 9:20 pm

simonm
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sahara
Favorite Beaches: Invercargill
Style: Mod
Gear: I always wanted a pony
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby simonm » Mon Oct 15, 2007 6:47 am

Thanks for cutting and pasting. Saved me the effort.

Can't wait to get the kites out in some decent wind and swell this week. Tis a shame though that so few will get a chance to give these kites a real go. Between availability and bow blinkers I'm sure that many will miss out on flying a sweet kite.

surfingwithkites
Very Frequent Poster

Postby surfingwithkites » Mon Oct 15, 2007 8:08 am

Seems like a really accurate review to me. Thanks for writing it.

zero
Medium Poster

Postby zero » Tue Oct 16, 2007 6:03 am

sounds attractive. not sure i'd want to spend 3 hours at a time sining the kite continuously to make the low end magic work though. is that really how it is? maybe that's less annoying with a pulley bar?

is anyone just using these with a short chicken loop, and do they still have the benefits?

surfingwithkites
Very Frequent Poster

Postby surfingwithkites » Tue Oct 16, 2007 6:32 am

Peter P uses the kites stock on the chicken loop and rides really well. New bar has a good modern double line stopper widget too so you can ride pseudo-fixed when you want. I might even try the kites on the stock bar set up one day since I stole one of Petes bars in Chile. (thanks Pete) I think the 5.5m flies so well the chicken loop is not needed and doesn't add much.

5.5m generator is way ahead of its time I'd say. It's sort of indicative of where we could be if designers were still interested in anything besides depower and hooked in "range".

PeterP
Medium Poster
Gear: Airush
Brand Affiliation: Sales Manager Airush Kiteboarding

Postby PeterP » Tue Oct 16, 2007 7:34 am

They ride great in the chickenloop, I prefer it when gusty + I havent quite worked out the fixed riding technique yet, guess it has somehing to do with Cape Towns gusty winds and my desire to actually use my arms. When I rode Felix's fixed set-up I couldn't believe how little energy you use as you rely on your body counterweight entirely. Now I know why he looks like he does....
You'll only be sining the kite when using it in the lower end of the windrange, as soon as the kite is well powered, its pretty much park and ride. That said, they really come into their own in the lowend of their range because you can use one or two kitesize smaller than usual, which is so nice when you are on the wave.
With the chickenloop you have more than enough depower, I never feel I'm getting pulled off my rail, only downside is you may have to adjust depowerstrap before unhooking depending on where you prefer to ride your bar (close to body vs away). I do use the adjustable stopperball which gives me the option of riding fixed or with limited depower, which is useful when you have trimmed kite on depower strap. Stock bar is great, it has everything anyone might need + you can take off all the stuff you may not want (5th-line, donkey dick, wrist leash, stopper etc). I dont have to modify anything.
Generator is an amazing kite for anyone who wants a fast turning kite with possibly the best unhooked qualities in the market.

Last tip - blow the thing up as hard as you can (rock solid) and make sure all lines are equal length, any difference in linelength will make the kite fly weird.

simonm
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sahara
Favorite Beaches: Invercargill
Style: Mod
Gear: I always wanted a pony
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby simonm » Tue Oct 16, 2007 8:33 am

The principles of riding a small fixed kite are almost opposite to riding a bow. With a bow there is heaps of power there and you use the bar to dump it when there is too much. With a small Generator there really isn't much power there and you sine the kite to generate power. The greatest advantage of this being that when you are unhooked on the wave you can position the kite at will so that it works in complete harmony with you and the board as opposed to stalling or pulling you off the wave. Riding the kite in really low wind (12 odd knots) isn't the most fun in the world, mind you any kite in those winds is not exactly adrenalin pumping stuff. However once it hits 15 then things start cooking. Personally I'd prefer to take my chances in lower wind with a 7.5 so that if it picks up then the kite is ideal as opposed to riding some zeplin that will always perform like a zeplin. Besides, learning how to milk the absolute most out of a kite in low wind can sometimes be a fun challenge in its own right. Finally, at least with a pulley bar the sining can be done one handed.

pim
Medium Poster

Postby pim » Tue Oct 16, 2007 9:43 am

hi peter p ,

can you tell me where i can test the generator in cape town ?
do they have them at bay sports ?

thanks !

suRff
Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: my lifestyle

Postby suRff » Tue Oct 16, 2007 2:43 pm

interesting stuff. will def try this kite in the smaller sizes for waves. i get what you all are saying about going with much smaller kites and working them hard when you need the power (maybe im also one of the few who likes working the crap out of small kites). this technique is about going out with just enough power to get into the waves thereby having a much more manageable kite when on the wave face. why can't you do this with a small modern flat/bow/hybrid kite that flies well unhooked? even going modern (07/08) flat/bow/hybrid kite on an adjustable pulley bar should give you more range as the wind goes up or down. i don't speak from experience as i have not yet flown the generator.. i did fly fuels in waves and within their narrow range they were fine, just not as fine as my wide range 7m bow kiting experiences this summer.

i spent the summer on a 7m bow and a strapless 6'8'' custom. from 12 to 35 knots i had some of the best sessions ive ever had. this kite did not fly that great unhooked.. but im assuming the new 08 bandit/rebel/vapor/rev/rise/nemhp/answer etc are flying much better unhooked.. especially in the smaller sizes. these new flat/bow/hybrid shapes in the <9m sizes are less prone to tangle, restart lightning quick, they are still fast but less squirly the years past, they power more evenly (less on off), de-power like hell.. etc. im not saying they are the only way to go and im sure some of the new kites will be more suited for waves than others, im just wondering why go classic C for waves?

what line lengths are you all going with for a 5 or 7m generator?
Last edited by suRff on Tue Oct 16, 2007 6:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Return to “Kitesurfing”