Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Accidental Marine life interaction while kiting.

forum for kitesurfers

Emofish
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 0
Brand Affiliation: None

Accidental Marine life interaction while kiting.

Postby Emofish » Fri Oct 05, 2007 3:00 pm

Was wondering if any of you had any marine life incidents where you were kiting? What made me ask this was something that happened to me yesterday while having a great session.

Was kiting along finishing up a great day of kiting w/ 18-22 knts of wind. Strangely enough all of this seemed to happen in slow motion, and I remember it all vivdly. On one of my last hi-speed runs in on my 14 meter Turbo2, I glanced up at my kite, and at the moment I looked up a seagull flew into one of my front lines about halfway up the lines. There was an initial tug felt through the bar at impact. The line caught the bird right at the wing base near its body, rotated the bird around to where I could see the lines seperating feathers in it wing. Then flipped the bird into a very high speed wingtip to wingtip cartwheel. This bird must have spun about 8 times while falling. Right at the last second before the bird made impact with the water (about 3 feet above), it recovered and flew off at a high rate of speed. It seemed he was okay.

I havent had a laugh that hard in a while. I have had some near missies from mullet jumping from the water before, but never any other wildlife. I was wonder if anything like this has happened to anyone else?

bleighty
Frequent Poster

Postby bleighty » Fri Oct 05, 2007 3:06 pm

dolphins, manatees and sharks .. oh my..

CharlestonKiter
Frequent Poster

Postby CharlestonKiter » Fri Oct 05, 2007 3:08 pm

Fish right to the knee cap, left a bruise. I've seen lots of other marine life while kiting but thats the only time I've had direct contact.

kitegrommet
Very Frequent Poster

Postby kitegrommet » Fri Oct 05, 2007 3:19 pm

I had to stop in deep water and throw up a fried crab sandwich I had just eaten, does that count?

I didn't stop my session!!

Seagulls are rats with wings anyway!!

Yea yea, all birds are created equal...

tolios
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Style: freeriding
Gear: skywalker 127 dimitri pro
cabrinha switchblade 10m
dakine pyro

Postby tolios » Fri Oct 05, 2007 4:13 pm

as i was kiting near paros at the aegean sea a mermaid waved me but unluckily i didnt carry any condoms with me :bye:
Attachments
evian_mermaid.preview.jpg
evian_mermaid.preview.jpg (24.32 KiB) Viewed 2289 times

YngvaiMalmsteve
Medium Poster

Postby YngvaiMalmsteve » Fri Oct 05, 2007 4:40 pm

tolios wrote:as i was kiting near paros at the aegean sea a mermaid waved me but unluckily i didnt carry any condoms with me :bye:

Well, being a mermaid, her mouth is your only option anyway :lol:

humandrive
Medium Poster

Postby humandrive » Fri Oct 05, 2007 4:47 pm

I've had rays just just a few feet from me but never have hit any marine life

davesails7
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2006
Local Beach: Virginia Beach
Gear: Flysurfer Sonic2 11m & 15m, Sonic1 9m
Spotz2 w/Delta Board
OR Mako 130x35

Postby davesails7 » Fri Oct 05, 2007 4:49 pm

I hit a seagull, but it was only with a 1.5m trainer kite.

Skyway Scott

Postby Skyway Scott » Fri Oct 05, 2007 5:18 pm

During our night riding sessions here, we all get hit by jumping fish quite often. It actually hurts sometimes and can leave little bruises.

I had a plover "attack" my kite on purpose one time. He ultimately met his maker when getting tangled in the lines. I am thinking it was a suicide bombber mission.

See all kinds of stuff out here: turtles, dolphins, sharks (I have run over and made contact with a few, mainly bonnetheads and blacktips), manatees (hit one windsurfing 15 years ago), jellyfish, you name it (no mermaids, yet).

Actually, by far the worst things people make contact with out here are the shells of things like oysters and pinshells. We have a lot of foot injuries here.
Last edited by Skyway Scott on Fri Oct 05, 2007 5:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.

paulwood
Rare Poster

Postby paulwood » Fri Oct 05, 2007 5:18 pm

while packing up, my friend matthew killian was still out 4pm, catching the last wind of the day, he said he saw a shadow in the water. he was coming into land when something hit his board from the bottom, the board shattered upwards between the straps. all I saw was him bodydragging back to the beach bouncing over the water like a stone, no teeth marks but it was a shark, as one was spotted earlier on by a few guys. :o

Return to “Kitesurfing”