All times are UTC + 1 hour

[ 33 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Accidental Marine life interaction while kiting.
PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 3:00 pm 
Rare Poster

Was wondering if any of you had any marine life incidents where you were kiting? What made me ask this was something that happened to me yesterday while having a great session.

Was kiting along finishing up a great day of kiting w/ 18-22 knts of wind. Strangely enough all of this seemed to happen in slow motion, and I remember it all vivdly. On one of my last hi-speed runs in on my 14 meter Turbo2, I glanced up at my kite, and at the moment I looked up a seagull flew into one of my front lines about halfway up the lines. There was an initial tug felt through the bar at impact. The line caught the bird right at the wing base near its body, rotated the bird around to where I could see the lines seperating feathers in it wing. Then flipped the bird into a very high speed wingtip to wingtip cartwheel. This bird must have spun about 8 times while falling. Right at the last second before the bird made impact with the water (about 3 feet above), it recovered and flew off at a high rate of speed. It seemed he was okay.

I havent had a laugh that hard in a while. I have had some near missies from mullet jumping from the water before, but never any other wildlife. I was wonder if anything like this has happened to anyone else?

{ SHARE_ON_FACEBOOK } { SHARE_ON_TWITTER } { SHARE_ON_ORKUT } { SHARE_ON_DIGG } { SHARE_ON_MYSPACE } { SHARE_ON_DELICIOUS }
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 3:06 pm 
Frequent Poster

dolphins, manatees and sharks .. oh my..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 3:08 pm 
Frequent Poster

Fish right to the knee cap, left a bruise. I've seen lots of other marine life while kiting but thats the only time I've had direct contact.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 3:19 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

I had to stop in deep water and throw up a fried crab sandwich I had just eaten, does that count?

I didn't stop my session!!

Seagulls are rats with wings anyway!!

Yea yea, all birds are created equal...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 4:13 pm 
Medium Poster

as i was kiting near paros at the aegean sea a mermaid waved me but unluckily i didnt carry any condoms with me :bye:

Attachments:
evian_mermaid.preview.jpg
evian_mermaid.preview.jpg [ 24.32 KIB | Viewed 2204 times ]
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 4:40 pm 
Medium Poster

tolios wrote:
as i was kiting near paros at the aegean sea a mermaid waved me but unluckily i didnt carry any condoms with me :bye:

Well, being a mermaid, her mouth is your only option anyway :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 4:47 pm 
Medium Poster

I've had rays just just a few feet from me but never have hit any marine life

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 4:49 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

I hit a seagull, but it was only with a 1.5m trainer kite.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 5:18 pm 
During our night riding sessions here, we all get hit by jumping fish quite often. It actually hurts sometimes and can leave little bruises.

I had a plover "attack" my kite on purpose one time. He ultimately met his maker when getting tangled in the lines. I am thinking it was a suicide bombber mission.

See all kinds of stuff out here: turtles, dolphins, sharks (I have run over and made contact with a few, mainly bonnetheads and blacktips), manatees (hit one windsurfing 15 years ago), jellyfish, you name it (no mermaids, yet).

Actually, by far the worst things people make contact with out here are the shells of things like oysters and pinshells. We have a lot of foot injuries here.

Last edited by Skyway Scott on Fri Oct 05, 2007 5:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 5:18 pm 
Rare Poster

while packing up, my friend matthew killian was still out 4pm, catching the last wind of the day, he said he saw a shadow in the water. he was coming into land when something hit his board from the bottom, the board shattered upwards between the straps. all I saw was him bodydragging back to the beach bouncing over the water like a stone, no teeth marks but it was a shark, as one was spotted earlier on by a few guys. :o

[ 33 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next