Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Jumping strapless? (Getting good height)

forum for kitesurfers

biggins
Very Frequent Poster

Jumping strapless? (Getting good height)

Postby biggins » Thu Oct 25, 2007 1:29 pm

Well I can get some descent ollies, but want to jump using the kite to get more height.

I have a Reble kite with a micro loop so I'm thinking of using this since I think my problem lies in not being able to whip the kite quick enough since I"m holding the bar too much in the middle so that I can pull in the power.

I've noticed alot of people getting some pretty descent air while riding strapless and would love to get in on it, but am having a tough time getting more than a few feet. As soon as i switch to a strapped board i can go 10 feet even in the somewhat light winds, so it's definately my technique.

I can catch the board, but just can pull in the power and pull the kite quick enough to get descent "whip" so as to get good height.

I think one solution might be too hook into the micro loop just before hitting some small wave/chop and then I'd be able to keep my one hand on the far side of the bar so as to better control it, and "whip" it to give me good height...is this what others are doing? If I keep my hand in the middle of the bar to pull in the power, I loose the turning ability for the "whip" so I'm at a stand still.

Thanks for the help,

j

Lourocks
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 0
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Lourocks » Thu Oct 25, 2007 2:02 pm

I can do big jumps strapless but i have trouble relunching my kite Cause of my hand position . the Micro hook sound like a good idea to me Will try it !

It s hard to give you a good advice not to see you trying it :-(. Really think about going upwind a lot when you send you kite to edge the power of it and then go high .

I do it on small wave that much easier but it s possible on flat water too ...

biggins
Very Frequent Poster

Postby biggins » Thu Oct 25, 2007 2:42 pm

yeah it's the hand that's killing me. i have a kite with HUGE ammount of depower, which is great for riding around, but for jumping it makes it very hard to keep the bar pulled in AND turn the bar hard to get a good whip jump. I'm thinking the micro loop will help alot...we'll see, I'll let you know how it goes.

yeah, waves work great for ollies too...I'm able get some pretty good air with out using the kite off these...but want to use the kite too. Maybe in lighter winds I'll start kitelooping, but man it sucks when you miss teh board grab and then loop the kite! :o

j

biggins
Very Frequent Poster

Postby biggins » Thu Oct 25, 2007 2:43 pm

yeah it's the hand that's killing me. i have a kite with HUGE ammount of depower, which is great for riding around, but for jumping it makes it very hard to keep the bar pulled in AND turn the bar hard to get a good whip jump. I'm thinking the micro loop will help alot...we'll see, I'll let you know how it goes.

yeah, waves work great for ollies too...I'm able get some pretty good air with out using the kite off these...but want to use the kite too. Maybe in lighter winds I'll start kitelooping, but man it sucks when you miss teh board grab and then loop the kite! :o You end up watching your board plop to the water as you are flying away with your arm extended to the board thinking...just two more inches and I'd have had it.

j

Lourocks
Frequent Poster

Postby Lourocks » Thu Oct 25, 2007 2:57 pm

What kite do you have and is the bar got a micro loop or you made it ?

biggins
Very Frequent Poster

Postby biggins » Thu Oct 25, 2007 8:19 pm

hey lou,

a rebel, it comes with one.

j

surfingwithkites
Very Frequent Poster

Postby surfingwithkites » Thu Oct 25, 2007 8:26 pm

Maybe thats why the guys who jump high strapless all ride fixed bars?

HelldogBE
Very Frequent Poster

Postby HelldogBE » Thu Oct 25, 2007 8:30 pm

put your kite more depowered so you can send it back harder without getting ripped off to early??

just an idea, I have no idea about strapless jumping :oops:

biggins
Very Frequent Poster

Postby biggins » Sat Oct 27, 2007 8:59 pm

Yeah I definately think the fixed loop is the way to go for jumping strapless.

The huge depower of the new kites is great for riding upwind and doing tricks where you can still keep both hand on the bar...ie pop shovits or ollies etc. but for getting descent air where you use the kite and need to use the other hand for holding the board, I think a fixed loop is the way to go for sure...

we'll see. I kind of wish I had the reverse of a movable stopper ball, for example one that would automatically power up the kite when you let go of the bar...dangerous though. Probably easiest to just hook in to the micro loop beofre doing the trick and then head just unhook on landing...sort of like unhooked tricks I guess.

thanks,

j

jesserichman
Medium Poster

Postby jesserichman » Sat Oct 27, 2007 11:06 pm

What are you talking about??? you don't need a fixed loop to jump strapless at all. Use the kite to your advantage.

Return to “Kitesurfing”