Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Dimitri riding Hurricane Noel

forum for kitesurfers

PaulMcD
Medium Poster

Postby PaulMcD » Tue Nov 06, 2007 4:47 pm

For the new and newly charged up kitesurfers who are viewing ths thread it is probably worth a small note. In additon to Dimitri and Slezak, there might be, might be, a grand total of 100 kiters who have the skills to attempt what these guys did in offshore winds and survive. These guys are the top pros and they were obviously being carefully monitored by quite a crew on the beach. When you are alone or with your buddy and its blowing 30 offshore rather than say to yourself "that if Dimitri can do it in worse, I can do it too" the better approach is to head home, pop a beer and check out these clip again.

Tom183
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 0
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Tom183 » Tue Nov 06, 2007 7:15 pm

deltawake wrote:Tom183, RickI and other saftey dweebs time to take your shots- right?
Some things for buttheads like you to take note of:

#1: This was DIMITRI. Not you or me. He's on a completely different level, and while he and maybe 1 or 2 other riders worldwide might be able to ride these conditions with some small margin of safety (only they know how small), the rest of us shouldn't even dream of it.
#2: He didn't use a 10m, a 9m or even a 7m - he used a 4m. Too many guys with only a 9m try to use it in conditions it wasn't built for simply because it's "their smallest kite" - not smart...
#3: Dimitri wasn't alone and he wasn't counting on other guys who were out riding - he had real support from guys who were there just to look out for him.

Dimitri has a lot more than balls, he took what precautions he could, and unlike any of us, he really does have the necessary skills and the knowledge/experience to know if he could do it or not, and to know how dangerous it was for him.

That's the biggest difference from the rest of us - I hear guys say "yeah, I know it's dangerous", but only guys like Dimitri really know HOW dangerous and can compare that with a realistic measure of their own abilities. Too many amateurs don't measure their own skills realistically, and have no idea how dangerous it is.

It's one thing for someone like Dimitri to go out in these conditions, knowing what he knows, it's another thing entirely for someone like you or me to go out, NOT knowing what we don't know.

Wibbler
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Wibbler » Tue Nov 06, 2007 7:49 pm

Tom183 wrote: while he and maybe 1 or 2 other riders worldwide might be able to ride these conditions
You might want to reconsider your stats... he was out with 3 other riders that day.

The other 547 were elsewhere that particular 1/365th of the year.

Otherwise you are correct.

afflatus
Very Frequent Poster

Postby afflatus » Tue Nov 06, 2007 7:53 pm

Well,

no biggie, butt as I recall The d-bro is a self confessed serial tangler...

Friggin who cares what skills the brudda may or may not have?

The point I'd venture is that this brudda don't have no sense to start with,

that of course is a prerequisite for entry into this sort of thing.

I'm thinking of the human fly type dudes jumping of cliffs in those bat suits...

What sense do you need there? common sense? I just don't think so...

This preachy teachy thang what's yous considered fellows lay down as gospel is well?

The sort of thing that don't make no sense either...

I mean if one aspires to hurricane kiting, well you just gota go do it, see how it goes...

same as that wing thing off the cliffs...

I think telling folks to be thoughtful, is more or less a personal problem...

That is to say, as personal a problem as the desire to spice up the mundane, be it a base jump or going out in 60knts. because 30knts. is just getting old...

Eh? what cha going to do?

Say don't do that?

Just don't make no sense, no sense at all, none of it...

You're as whack or whackier than most....

that's the only explanation...

the stone-cold prerequisite to being a either a serial tangler or a pontificating safety freak.

Anyway you slice it is your/their personal, personal problem.

Safety is not something you can bestow, no it's something you must ignore, iffin that is, if you got issues...

hey,no biggie we all have issues, some are just more fun to pursue...

safety is more of a gimmick, to be exploited in the interest of public opinion...

Just my opinion

Tom183
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Tom183 » Tue Nov 06, 2007 8:22 pm

Wibbler wrote:
Tom183 wrote: while he and maybe 1 or 2 other riders worldwide might be able to ride these conditions
You might want to reconsider your stats... he was out with 3 other riders that day.
Yeah, my estimate is obviously a bit low - but there are WAY more riders who think they can handle those conditions....

afflatus
Very Frequent Poster

Postby afflatus » Tue Nov 06, 2007 8:32 pm

just to put a finer point on it.

If you go out in these conditions attitude is everything...

If you have doubts, you ain't going to make it.

Fearless means thinking/knowing you can deal.

(if you don't have the proper (macho-man) tude , you are going to freeze instead of dominate)

You cannot fault confidence, that's just crazy.

You just do not know any better...I guess?

No biggie, we all have issues...

Tom183 wrote:
Wibbler wrote:
Yeah, my estimate is obviously a bit low - but there are WAY more riders who think they can handle those conditions....

deltawake
Very Frequent Poster

Postby deltawake » Tue Nov 06, 2007 8:48 pm

Hook, line and sinker Tom :bye:

toyletbowl
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Olbrich, Governor Nelson, Tenney, Burrows and McDaniels.
Favorite Beaches: Olbrich on SW and McDaniels on a SSW.
Sheboygan when it blows hard on a NE.
Style: Waves, Twin tip and Foilboards.
Gear: Whatever is available.
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha, Slingshot, Blade, Axis, NP Surf, Liquid Force, Ozone, Mystic. www.kiteridersllc.com

Postby toyletbowl » Wed Nov 07, 2007 6:11 am

what the hell tom,

what you don't see is all the riders in the sound that day ripping it up in strong winds. all amatuers and knowing thier limits i'm sure.

man...part of the thrill of this sport for me is overcoming the elements.

whether it's cold 25-35 with gusts to 45 yesterday in 44 degree temps, or whatever.

i consider myself a very experienced water sport athlete, but not a pro. i do know my limits.

dude...take the water wings off.

next.

toyletbowl
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Olbrich, Governor Nelson, Tenney, Burrows and McDaniels.
Favorite Beaches: Olbrich on SW and McDaniels on a SSW.
Sheboygan when it blows hard on a NE.
Style: Waves, Twin tip and Foilboards.
Gear: Whatever is available.
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha, Slingshot, Blade, Axis, NP Surf, Liquid Force, Ozone, Mystic. www.kiteridersllc.com

Postby toyletbowl » Wed Nov 07, 2007 6:14 am

back on topic.

dimitri, very impressive riding for you, jason and tommy.

can't believe how clean those waves were.

bob
http://www.kiteridersllc.com

Dax
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Dax » Wed Nov 07, 2007 7:13 am

Impressive video and photos! you really scored! respect!

on the 60 knots thing, the IWindsurf graphs are in MPH not knots. Looks like the gusts peaked at 50 mph 6am Saturday morning... 50mph = about 43 knots

I've seen 50-60 knots and at that point the water looks more like fog / smoke ... you really can't even stand up in that kind of wind much less ride.

Anyhoo, maybe I am just jealous (okay I admit it, I am jealous!) Hopefully we get a few more nukers here in the Gorge before the freeze. :D

Return to “Kitesurfing”