Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

I love my REV, but the depower rope......

forum for kitesurfers

DMCD
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 0
Gear: cabrinha
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby DMCD » Tue Nov 06, 2007 11:40 pm

Hy,
i have the same opinion!
the only thing i dont like in the kite is the depower rope and location of the trimmer!

Im thinking in changing the depower rope and trimmer for some of other brand, i dont know yet.
im still searching for other sistems that can work well with the 5th line safety sistem of the REV.
SS should change that next year!

But the kite is so fu****g good... so... its a minimal problem! :thumb:

Zeno
Rare Poster

Postby Zeno » Tue Nov 06, 2007 11:48 pm

shymac wrote:I will forward this topic to R & D.

I know this can be an issue but how many bars can you totally break down and upgrade, fix, or mod your bar out. I have been flying SLingshot even before i started working for them and never had an issue regarding the chicken loop. At least you have a chance to repair with little cost.

Really, when does stuff last for ever? Kiteboarding is very hard on gear and getting stuff to last has been an issue company's are trying to get there hands around. Cost, production, time, ect.... all are an issue.

The bad part is that you always get to hear the bad news then the good.

FYI - A little fuzz is acceptable/its just the rope being rope. If you have a tear or cut replace but fuzz ok.

Thanks for the input!
Shymac, I appreciate your positive attitude towards this issue, I am myself a rev rider after having used naish last year.
I'm super happy about the kite but the bar is quite disappointing....
The micro hole in the bar is not understandable!
It generates friction, destroyes the rope, and when steering the kite doesn't allow to sheet out with the arms :roll:
I'd expect an action from SS quite soon...

Zeno
Rare Poster

Re: ..

Postby Zeno » Tue Nov 06, 2007 11:50 pm

DMCD wrote:Hy,
i have the same opinion!
the only thing i dont like in the kite is the depower rope and location of the trimmer!

Im thinking in changing the depower rope and trimmer for some of other brand, i dont know yet.
im still searching for other sistems that can work well with the 5th line safety sistem of the REV.
SS should change that next year!

But the kite is so fu****g good... so... its a minimal problem! :thumb:
BTW, I'm seriously considering changing the whole bar.
Which one would you use in exchange?

Greg7
Medium Poster

Re: ..

Postby Greg7 » Wed Nov 07, 2007 12:30 am

Zeno wrote:
BTW, I'm seriously considering changing the whole bar.
Which one would you use in exchange?
If you find a good replacement please post it here. I am going to get the REVs, but if there is a good bar replacement that would be great.

jimmyc
Very Frequent Poster

Postby jimmyc » Wed Nov 07, 2007 1:26 am

Before you go replacing the entire bar, why not try to just replace the CL assembly? Find the one that works for you and take the original out...

purdyd
Very Frequent Poster

Postby purdyd » Wed Nov 07, 2007 2:35 am

jimmyc wrote:Before you go replacing the entire bar, why not try to just replace the CL assembly? Find the one that works for you and take the original out...
one of the nice parts of the rev and its bar is the below the bar flag to one front line that works

its going to be hard to find something with that same functionality

David

dazza5172
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Middleton, Port Willunga, Mid Coast
Favorite Beaches: Middleton, U-Turns
Style: Wave
Gear: North Rebels, North Rocket Fish, North Freestyle Fish

Postby dazza5172 » Wed Nov 07, 2007 4:35 am

The Revs I have flown when back to back with other brands do seem to have a tight grip on the lines going through the bar hole, in fact when you turn the bar you can feel the tightness, this is leading to the wear for sure. The candle wax seems to be the cheapest easiest option, jobs done.

Daz

Dax
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Dax » Wed Nov 07, 2007 5:11 am

Slingshot has always had a thick amsteel depower rope, which makes it real strong. One downside is the stiffness in the sheeting and steering, though the steering issue is mostly dealt with by the dugout on the one side.

When you ride the bar back to back with others that have smaller rope / bigger holes, you get much less bar pressure.

I really think the Slingshot way of doing it comes down to preference. Once you get used to it I like it a bit better because it makes it easier to keep the sheeting locked into a position without sliding all over. Its a nice balance I think.

But again I think it comes down to preference.

My only real complaint about the bar is the difficulty in changing the sheet cleat setting. It can be tough sometimes, especially for my girlfriend.

I talked to some of the R&D guys and it sounded like this was on the short list of stuff to get fixed in the next rev. :wink:

Like people are saying a few minor gripes for an overall astounding new kite and bar package. The safety system alone is worth it.

gravey
Medium Poster

Postby gravey » Wed Nov 07, 2007 8:17 am

shymac wrote: At least you have a chance to repair with little cost.

Really, when does stuff last for ever?
Dude this is a rope that is showing significant wear after 3 sessions - I am not asking this rope to last forever, but I have had bars that have lasted me well into a 3rd season. Lets see how this looks in a year. Also, yes I do have a chance to repair with very little cost but why should I?- this kite and bar is virtually brand new! I hate to moan but this needs to be looked at by you guys. You might be looking at a wide reaching issue here affecting many thousands of bars.

tweekster
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tweekster » Wed Nov 07, 2007 9:02 am

you might try taking a close look at the stainless liner in the dugout. i had a similar issue with the 5 line bar on my octane. the problem arises from the hard plastic spacer that holds the cleats just above the CL constantly banging against the bar (and in the case of my octane bar it also occured on the top side where the bar kept hitting the stopper ball).

that stainless liner is so thin that eventually it starts to bend. at first this just causes a slight lip where the liner rolls over onto the carbon. i think that thats whats happening to your rope. theres a slight lip causing the abrasion. continued banging will turn that lip into either a sharp edge, or in my case, cause a small tear in the stainless. once the stainless tears it'll eat that CL rope for breakfast.

when i finally got around to replacing the line (SS sent me a new bar--they do have stellar service) i placed two o-rings on the upper side of the bar to act as a cushion between it and the stopper ball. so far this has worked well. the dugout side was a bit harder to deal with because of the size of the dugout. i tried a fiber washer from the plumbing dept. it worked for awhile but eventually got beat to shreds.

in the end wait until you try to replace that line! its a bitch trying to put that rope thru all of those tiny little holes!

OH! and while i'm at it, whats the dealio with the bridal pulleys? a guy down at the local spot has a 9 and after just a couple sessions the pulleys are all siezed up with sand!

Return to “Kitesurfing”