Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

When is a kite too big??

forum for kitesurfers

wind_starved
Rare Poster

Postby wind_starved » Mon Nov 12, 2007 10:46 pm

Thanks again for the words of wisdom. FYI, I live in Toronto, Ontario, very close to Lake Ontario and although it does blow quite good at times, the norm is between 5-15mph, and that is rarely consistent. So at times it's nice at 15, then down to 3, then 5 then 8, then 3, then 12.....you know the type!!

Sounds like it's either a bigger board, or a bigger kite, topping out at 17m. I think the kite pictured here from calikites would not make me any friends at any of the launches! :lol:

I had a 17m a few years ago, and as some of you mention, the bigger kites don't like to turn too quickly, and inevitably it would ditch and then I'd be in for a swim! I have the winter now to check around for gear.

Thanks again.

Klaus (c:E
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 0
Style: lousy
Brand Affiliation: None.

Re: When is a kite too big??

Postby Klaus (c:E » Tue Nov 13, 2007 12:17 am

Hai,
wind_starved wrote:If I were to buy a 20m kite for instance, APPROXIMATELY what would the lightest wind I could hope to get on the water in?
that much depends on the board You use and the type of kite You´d buy.
You are perfectly right with the couterproductive size. While teaching and really having to milk the light wind days i have found out that the 6 m² was the size to go. These were the last ones to drop off the sky with me as well as with the students. Larger kites fell off the sky due to a lack of turning speed where smaller kites fell off due to the higher influence of the same thick kite lines (parasitic drag) and lower Reynolds numbers i.e. lower aerodynamic performance.

With 67 kg and a 12 m² You won´t gain much with a LEI but You can still go for a larger board and/or a Foil - especially a 15 m² SPEED² with light weight fabric (SA² 19 m² is too large for a 67 kg rider and the 12 m² will not be that much more powerful than the ONE).
I am ~65 kg and i rode up to 20 m² c shapes and still own a 16 (but i don´t use it and i wouldn´t buy larger than 15 now), rode bows up to 14 m² (would buy up to 12 m²) and foils up to 21 m² (thinking about buying SPEED 15 but not any larger).

With inflatable kites You´ll need some 7-8 knots (some need 9 knots for the launch) but with a lightweight foil You can go in 6-7 knots (You don´t want to loose Your board and relaunch in deep water till it´s convenient 8 knots :wink: ).
Best to get a really wide wind range is to have a large high performing foil (where literally nothing else works), than take a medium size LEI (better turning speed), then add whatever You prefer for strong wind.

Sea You: Klaus (c:E

Klaus (c:E
Very Frequent Poster
Style: lousy
Brand Affiliation: None.

Re: When is a kite too big??

Postby Klaus (c:E » Tue Nov 13, 2007 12:18 am

:roll:

steveb
Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby steveb » Tue Nov 13, 2007 1:37 am

The term bigger board is dangerous, really what you need is a flatter board. A board with very little rocker which will get you going with your 12m in lighter air. The flatter rocker is faster which helps build the apparent wind and off you go.
There's many choices these days, look up posts about light wind boards.
I think the general concencus is the spleenes are hard to beat.

biggins
Very Frequent Poster

Postby biggins » Tue Nov 13, 2007 9:56 am

First change the board...a wide flat board will work great...there are many, Glide, the monsterdoor, etc. a skim is great for a challenge, but depends on what you want.

then think about kites if you still want more low end. I used to think the diminishing returns thing was true as well, until the SA came out...it's a lighter fabric which means the big kite will still fly well in light winds,

my little buddy at under 60kg was able to go out and do all sorts of tricks with my Glide and SA19 in average 6.7knots...very steady winds, and measured for a good five minutes...it was VERY impressive, and I realized light winds, require lighter fabric, and are definately fun even for little guys.

but it depends on how light of winds we're talking, the light wind game is changing a lot with the new lightweight fabric of kites...but the board still makes the biggest difference imo.

good luck,

j

voodoospirit
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2007
Local Beach: alps lakes, alps mountain snowkites

Postby voodoospirit » Tue Nov 13, 2007 7:21 pm

i m 62kg, own a 140*42 fluid² board (kinda flat) and a speed² 15 (19 is too big and toooo slow for my weight), i m a beginner/intermediate, to get below 8knots u need some practice/experience in kiting to get the best of the kite and the board ( extreme light wind rides are kinda technical ...)
speed² (SA fabric) can stay in the air in lulls until 4/5 knots , the regular fabric ( and way less expensive) , add 1knots. staying in the air during a lulls means no need to relauch a kite ( and below 8knots, relauching any kite is a pain in the ass)

now take in mind, it s a foil for light wind, i m talking about the 15/19 SA/regular speed²) and for freeride/hangtime and usually is a park and ride kite, at 10 knots u ll start to jump if u r a lightweight rider ( 15m², <70kg), it wont turn on a dime, it s not its objective, its objective is to develop a huge power to get you out and ride and it does its job extremely well, and the more it s stay parked, the more u ll get power and speed.
since it goes far in the window u ll go upwind without knowing it, in fact, i have more trouble going downwind than upwind with this kite...

intrepid_quest
Medium Poster
Location: Goin to hell if i don't change my ways; Or HoodRiver if you would like.

Postby intrepid_quest » Wed Nov 14, 2007 8:10 am

Skyway Scott wrote: At your size, you can make an 11m "work" in ten knots on a larger board, or skim board, but I assume you are wanting to feel more powered up in the light stuff and do more than just putz around.
I weigh a little more than 140 and in 10 knots of wind the 12m batwing is flying great with plenty of power for jumps and or what ever but the point is it doesn't just work it's great in 10 knots. I haven't flown the 15.5 batwing but man it is a lite wind machine with lots of power. And the crazy depower of these kites? My brother...A much better kiter than me.... rescued a guy on the 15.5 in 40+ knot winds. That is the kind of kite I want to arm my quiver with.

duinkiter_rod
Medium Poster
Style: freestyle/wakestyle

Postby duinkiter_rod » Wed Nov 14, 2007 2:23 pm

this kite is too big!
Attachments
xmeterdonstaar.jpg
xmeterdonstaar.jpg (10.23 KiB) Viewed 440 times
xmeterlaunch.jpg
xmeterlaunch.jpg (12.42 KiB) Viewed 440 times
xmeterbeach.jpg
xmeterbeach.jpg (16.98 KiB) Viewed 440 times

windshreder
Very Frequent Poster

Postby windshreder » Sat Nov 17, 2007 12:00 am

Before you get another kite try a bigger board like the Best Float 133.

I am 165 lbs and can stay upwind with my 07 Waroo 11 and 133 float is less wind than I care to kite in. (12mph)

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tautologies » Sat Nov 17, 2007 1:19 am

intrepid_quest wrote: My brother...A much better kiter than me.... rescued a guy on the 15.5 in 40+ knot winds. That is the kind of kite I want to arm my quiver with.
a 15.5 in 40+ knots?

Anyways, I agree for the most part with Klaus, having owned every size between 7m and 21m, I don't go beyond 14, on a surfboard.....I think 16meter would be okay....the new flat kites (Helix for me), are way more efficient, but the even bigger kites loose a lot of turning speed, and power simply because of their weight in light winds. For me the tradeoff is too big. I do think there is big differnece between 12 and 14 in terms of power in light wind. This might be ascribed to me being heavy.

a.

I'd rather go surfing if it's that light.

A.

Return to “Kitesurfing”