How To Make Snap Shackles Safe

Forum for kitesurfers
azza
Rare Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby azza » Fri Nov 16, 2007 4:32 am

steveb,

are you using this as the quick release on your power line to spreader bar connection?

If so, you have made a potentially deadly error; it has happened in the past that these QR shackles have failed to release. For three reasons (1) the pin will not pull clear when under load (2) the ring or rope through the shackle was not of significant diameter to force open the jaw (3) the rope through the shackle caught on the edge of the open jaw.

The Wichard shackles are better than the type in your example, but they are still not perfect either.

The type of shackle/hook/clasp/etc that was being discussed here are thos that are suitable for safety leashes with a QR link already built in to the leash itself, if not I stand corrected.

rgds,
AzzA

steveb
Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby steveb » Fri Nov 16, 2007 5:28 am

Sorry AZZa but I have to disagree with you.
1. These shackles are designed to release under the preassure of a spinnacker, upto the size of spinnakers used on Americas cup boats. i.e 1000s of lbs. The pin release is in a different direction to the force from the weight. I've 40 years of boat sailing experience and never had one fail.
opening them under load takes no more effort than when they're un- loaded.

If they didn't work the Americas cup campaigns with their multi million dollar budgets would have redesigned them, the design has been the same for a very long time.
2. It takes no force to open the jaw. You do have to ensure the split pin holding your pull rope to the release pin is stainless and strong enough not to open causing your release rope to fall off. But with a good split ring it's not an issue. Even if the ring came off there's sufficient material to just pull the pin directly.
3. If I understand your 3rd point correctly this cannot happen as the rope is on the opposite side of the shackle away from the opening jaw.

Kiting involves choices. I've 6 years snow kiting using these shackles with no failures, no jams, no issues. I've used them sailing for more years than I can remember with no failures or jams. I'll stick to my experience with these products and make my choice. You can do the same.

azza
Rare Poster

Postby azza » Fri Nov 16, 2007 9:28 am

SteveB,

These discussions have gone on for years, and it wasn't really the topic of this thread but, have a look at some anecdotal evidence from way back when...
phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=5219&highlight=ronstan+shackle

Best wishes,
AzzA

steveb
Frequent Poster

Postby steveb » Sat Nov 17, 2007 1:07 am

Azza, Interesting reading, thanks for the heads up.
I guess there's no such thing as perfection.

azza
Rare Poster

Postby azza » Sat Nov 17, 2007 7:48 am

Cheers SteveB,

no problems and definitely no perfection around these parts. :)

Meanwhile (Back on topic) the smaller variety of the the side-pinned snap shackle, that SteveB and I were side tracked on, have been used by many folks on their safety leash. But I can't see them being popular for use on commercial leashes because they're more expensive and they require two hands, for most folks, to operate... and they have a bad rap among st many kiters.

What we need is something quick and easy to use, preferably one handed, that doesn't present an open hook that might grab flesh or lines etc when not locked in place.

So far one the better contenders is the carabiner that has a threaded locking ring, but they're hard to get in stainless steel, and they still present an open hook when not locked (which presents a danger when altering/untwisting a harness to leash when the kite is flying, and in a runaway kite scenario.)

Any thoughts?

rgds to all,
AzzA

azza
Rare Poster

Postby azza » Sat Nov 17, 2007 10:16 am

Here's a couple I just forged up...
Attachments
Failure 1 x.jpg
solves the hook problem of before but obviously presents a worse one in the other direction...
Failure 1 x.jpg (102.11 KiB) Viewed 1885 times
better but x.jpg
this is better, but still isn't fantastic
better but x.jpg (123.48 KiB) Viewed 1885 times
hooks.jpg
This is the commonly used beast that can bite...
hooks.jpg (60.9 KiB) Viewed 1884 times

azza
Rare Poster

Postby azza » Sat Nov 17, 2007 10:45 am

and then...
Attachments
better still.jpg
an improvement?
better still.jpg (120.42 KiB) Viewed 1877 times

azza
Rare Poster

Postby azza » Sat Nov 17, 2007 10:47 am

Last edited by azza on Sat Nov 17, 2007 10:51 am, edited 2 times in total.

Ismo
Medium Poster

Postby Ismo » Sat Nov 17, 2007 10:48 am

azza wrote: So far one the better contenders is the carabiner that has a threaded locking ring, but they're hard to get in stainless steel
http://www.bosunsupplies.com/products2. ... duct=S0181

kitezilla
Very Frequent Poster

Postby kitezilla » Sat Nov 17, 2007 2:28 pm

Ismo,

You are the master sleuth!!

I never turned up that supplier in my search. You are the "go-to-guy", for someone needing help in locating difficult to find items.

Many thanks.

For those USA residents, instead of paying $39 for 4 of these carabiners, you can get 4 of them for $29....including shipping.

Return to “Kitesurfing”