Unexpected Kite Launch Disasters

Forum for kitesurfers
RickI
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: SE Florida
Gear: Cabrinha
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha

Postby RickI » Mon Nov 19, 2007 2:37 pm

Thank you for the story and I am glad that you came through OK. You weren't hooked in but were still lofted, correct? It can happen that way. I can recall a case in which an unconscious kiter reportedly held on to the bar for a dragging/lofting over 100 ft. across the water (on the way to Cuba).

What do folks think about grabbing the chicken loop of FLAT kites (only) in a case like this? If the kite functions properly the situation may be defused. If not, your hand is in for some abuse.

We normally grab the bar without really thinking, would it be better to shift attention to the chicken loop or just let the lot blow downwind assuming bystanders aren't at risk until you can better deal with it?

Flyer51
Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Flyer51 » Mon Nov 19, 2007 3:16 pm

RickI wrote:You weren't hooked in but were still lofted, correct?
Yes. As the kite launched it went up and through the window at speed.
I must have thought I could hold the kite by hanging on to the bar, but obviously the bar would have been at max power with me not being hooked in.
Amazing how quickly I was flying at speed. It happened in an instant.

-wAVe-
Frequent Poster

Postby -wAVe- » Mon Nov 19, 2007 3:52 pm

Objects placed on the canopy can blow off in a gust and then the kite is free to power up.
One idea that is used in my area is to fill a bag with sand or rocks and connect it to the pump leash connection point on the kite by a carabiner (when the kite is in the parked position on the beach). This also prevents pin prick holes in the canopy as no sand or rocks need to be placed on the canopy to weigh it down.
Even if the kite were to be lifted by a gust, it would depower with the weight of the connected rock/sand bag (just like a kite on a 5th line).

mobettah
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: FB
Favorite Beaches: Cape Haterras
Style: Go Big!
Gear: Naish Boxer II's - C kites baby!

Postby mobettah » Tue Nov 20, 2007 2:32 am

-wAVe- wrote:Objects placed on the canopy can blow off in a gust and then the kite is free to power up.
One idea that is used in my area is to fill a bag with sand or rocks and connect it to the pump leash connection point on the kite by a carabiner (when the kite is in the parked position on the beach). This also prevents pin prick holes in the canopy as no sand or rocks need to be placed on the canopy to weigh it down.
Even if the kite were to be lifted by a gust, it would depower with the weight of the connected rock/sand bag (just like a kite on a 5th line).
Good idea!

fkb
Medium Poster

Postby fkb » Tue Nov 20, 2007 3:43 am

.. remember when I was a noob, self launching, holding bar in one hand while walking into position not watching the kite... gust hit, kite blown free from sand, and bang, as soon as I felt the tug I let go but it was already too late. Was already upside down and 8 feet off the ground. Landed on my head (wearing a helmet) and got all cut up by the shells. Measured the distance from footprints to impact crater at 25 feet.

Relaunched and rode that day after shaking it off but now I use a LOT of sand (if I'm not using an anchor or the slide launch method) and keep a close eye on my kite while walking into position...

I sand launch as a last resort and am prepared for surprises.

Juwanna Kite
Medium Poster

Postby Juwanna Kite » Tue Nov 20, 2007 12:48 pm

Well at the risk of exposing my stupidity, I too nearly lost a kite in gusty/windy conditions. I had setup my Windwing rapture 9m in 20 mph winds gusting to 30mph. I laid out and attached the lines, sanded the canopy down, and left the kite on the beach to go put on my wetsuit. By the time I came back, the wind was blowing 30mph gusting to over 50. It had picked the kite up and blown it down the beach where fortunately it caught one of the lines on a drift log and flagged the kite. Fortunately the beach was nearly deserted so no one had been endangered. However the story could have been drastically different.

Moral of the story for me is never leave a kite unattended and fully rigged in windy/gusty conditions. Either detach the lines or deflate the leading edge.

Juwanna Kite-

Clew In
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Clew In » Tue Nov 20, 2007 2:35 pm

Hey,

Attaching a sand bag to the front leading edge where the hook the pump lease goes is a great idea. I see people getting comfortable leaving there kites laying on the beach with very little weight on them. Also, I have noticed on sandy beaches the sand blows away from under the leading edge. Seems dangerous?

This leads to a weight question. How much weight do you think you need to hold down a 17meter in 35mph winds? If the weight is on top of the kite it seems you need a lot more weight than if you had a sand bag attached to the leading edge?

Clew In

kitezilla
Very Frequent Poster

Postby kitezilla » Tue Nov 20, 2007 3:14 pm

-wAVe- wrote:Objects placed on the canopy can blow off in a gust and then the kite is free to power up.
Great idea.....even with the worst case scenario, where the kite flips over, the weight of the bag would act like the force exerted by a 5th line, and would stabilize the kite in the upside-down position, where it could only slowly drag the bag down the beach.

The shorter the line from the bag to the pump leash, the better. If the line is very long, then, if the wind flipped the kite over, the bag and line could tangle with the front line bridle, and then the worst case scenario, would be that the kite could take a propeller shape, and spin itself down the beach.

One question:

Have you found that, in strong wind, that, the kites leading edge oscillates up and down, repeatedly, slamming the leading edge against the beach?

-wAVe-
Frequent Poster

Postby -wAVe- » Tue Nov 20, 2007 3:24 pm

The line that connects the rock/sand bag to the kite pump leash point is only about 30cms.

No the kite sits nicely on the beach with no oscillation even in stronger winds.

Any old bag will do - eg bag that comes with harness or wet boots. Most have a draw string so all that is needed is a hook or carabiner.

You can put as much weight in the bag as you want - more for very windy condtions.

KITEWHIPPED
Rare Poster

Postby KITEWHIPPED » Tue Nov 20, 2007 7:44 pm

Flyer51,
You stated, "If I am desperate and nobody is around to launch/land I use a cable/caribiner setup we have anchored into a man made rock wall." Can you explain this more? Are you describing a technique for self-launching that is safer than using sand or a sand bag? Please elaborate/ descibe in more detail. Sounds interesting.

Return to “Kitesurfing”