Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Hook Knives...don't bet your life on them!

Forum for kitesurfers
BiteMe
Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Hook Knives...don't bet your life on them!

Postby BiteMe » Fri Jan 10, 2014 10:25 pm

tomatkins wrote:Buy this one!
Isn't that the same one?

tomatkins
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tomatkins » Sat Jan 11, 2014 12:41 am

BiteMe wrote:
tomatkins wrote:Buy this one!
Isn't that the same one?
Yes it is NOW... but back in July 2010, the link to the DaKine site showed the old version of the knife, which had the 2 DOUBLE beveled blades in it. About that time, the improved model was developed, and the newer model, which works much better has 2 SINGLE beveled blades in it. Probably, in the last couple of years, all the old knives have been sold, and so, there is no worry about buying the less efficient hook knife from DaKine... but beware that some "old stock" knives may still be around in stores or online, elsewhere. Don't buy those.

Before buying a hook knife, look closely at the blades, and only buy the one that has blades which have only ONE bevel on each blade. Note that the "non-beveled" sides of the blades contact each other.

tomatkins
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tomatkins » Thu Jun 12, 2014 8:40 pm

Time to awaken this "sleeping giant" of a thread.

I don't believe that this Trilobite hook knife has been mentioned on this thread, as an option for a knife that will cut "large" ropes. This video is impressive... but I am still left wondering if this hook knife could be trusted to cut a spectra "power line".

I think that the modern "double bladed" hook knives have established the reputation as being far more trustworthy to use to cut kiteline, but I have not yet tested this Trilobite "single bladed" for effectiveness.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_tcGZsfZawY

Does anyone have any experience with this Trilobite knife?
Attachments
trilobite knife.png

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Postby edt » Thu Jun 12, 2014 8:44 pm

holy cow that knife is like some sort of tv ronco ginsu knive on steroids.

Ok you knife fetishists buy one pls and test it 4 us. If u can cut a leash with it ...

BWD
Very Frequent Poster

Postby BWD » Thu Jun 12, 2014 9:19 pm

Nice looking from trilobite but they need to show it cutting firehose, tow straps and 12mm+ amsteel, if they want to impress. And heavy kevlar.
It does look like a good design.

Laughingman
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay
Favorite Beaches: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay, Long Bay, Cayo Guillermo, La Ventana
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Gen6 Flites 10m, 12m Gen2 Roams 6m and 8m, Cloud D 4.8, 6.2, 8.0, 10.4
Xeon Laluz, Mako Wide 150, Jellyfish Custom surf board quad fin 6', LF Impulse Foil and Kanaha Shapes 37" board
Engine Harness with slider

Postby Laughingman » Thu Jun 12, 2014 11:38 pm

I did not see them cut any am steel rope. That is what shoukd be used for kite related replacements. This is the knife we use. http://www.benchmade.com/products/7

BWD
Very Frequent Poster

Postby BWD » Fri Jun 13, 2014 1:50 am

benchmade, now thats what i'm talkin' about!
No spectra or kevlar but did well with the boots etc.

bipolarbear
Rare Poster
Gear: All surface
Brand Affiliation: None
Been thanked: 0

Postby bipolarbear » Fri Jun 13, 2014 3:04 am

I'm a white water kayaker and use the NRS co-pilot. The knife is easy to grab and does not hide in a pocket (time is important). Can be fitted on your harness or pfd (west). The Titanium modell is better for salt water use.

http://www.nrs.com/product/27572/nrs-ti ... ilot-knife

POACHER
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: ¤°

Postby POACHER » Fri Jun 13, 2014 4:43 pm

Laughingman wrote:I did not see them cut any am steel rope. That is what shoukd be used for kite related replacements. This is the knife we use. http://www.benchmade.com/products/7
I just bought that exact Benchmade safety cutter a couple weeks ago. It was only $30 on Amazon. Just a heads up to anyone with a Pro-Limit harness: That Benchmade cutter fits perfectly in the spreader bar pocket on my Predator harness - like it was made for it. Benchmade knives are excellent quality and super sharp. I cut some pretty thick line and webbing to test it.

Why risk your life with some cheap POS?

Hey Laughingman, how does it hold up with salt water? I'm sure it will need to be rinsed after saltwater use. Just curious. thx.

Laughingman
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay
Favorite Beaches: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay, Long Bay, Cayo Guillermo, La Ventana
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Gen6 Flites 10m, 12m Gen2 Roams 6m and 8m, Cloud D 4.8, 6.2, 8.0, 10.4
Xeon Laluz, Mako Wide 150, Jellyfish Custom surf board quad fin 6', LF Impulse Foil and Kanaha Shapes 37" board
Engine Harness with slider

Postby Laughingman » Sat Jun 14, 2014 2:19 pm

I never have... Didn't dven think too. Just pulled it out if the sheeth to inspect it. Looks like new after two years.... Probably best to rinse it. I might have been lucky

Return to “Kitesurfing”