Forum for kitesurfers
merl
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Gear: HF
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Making your own line sets

Postby merl » Mon Oct 15, 2012 5:07 pm

You can in fact sew qpower with a reasonable machine. Fold the line to make the desired loop. Wrap 10cm of the line below the loop with a narrow strip of kite repair tape. Sew a zigzag along the tape just like for sleeved lines.

edt wrote:
nicor wrote:I’m not sure if this is the same as ronnie’s question.

I want to replace my stock lines with stiffer lines. But I don’t know if I can simply use a figure 8 knot at the Y junction of the front lines. One front line is plugged at the Y and the other attached to the flagging line. An 8 knot doesn’t seem appropriate as the tension seems to be reversed so the bottom of the knot is taking the load (not sure if I’m making sense)

Splicing might be an option too. Can you splice Q power lines or is it too difficult with the innercore.
you can't splice qpowerline because it's cored, but you can knot it (you can't knot 12 strand line but you can splice it). So on the non-flag out line it's possible to replace it with q-powerline and figure 8 a knot behind the plastic Y, but on the other end, it needs to feed through the line, so if you put a knot anywhere it will catch and cause your safety to fail. You shouldn't take q-powerline and knot it behind the Y on the safety line, because when that knot runs through the rest of your safety system it will catch on the bar or some other place and fail when you least want it to. What you can do is get some 12-strand dyneema/spectra with poly coating, it's a bit thicker, 1.75mm or a bit thicker instead of 1.5mm and then splice where needed and replace your old lines.

Alternatively you can replace both lines with q-powerline and knot both behind the Y but take out that flag out system and instead leash on the depower rope if you have below the bar depower, or suicide, or possibly on an oh shit ring.

If you tie knots in spliced lines they will break the first time you put much pressure on them, I have seen it happen many times, don't do it.

nicor
Frequent Poster
Been thanked: 0

Postby nicor » Mon Oct 15, 2012 5:42 pm

edt wrote:
nicor wrote:I’m not sure if this is the same as ronnie’s question.

I want to replace my stock lines with stiffer lines. But I don’t know if I can simply use a figure 8 knot at the Y junction of the front lines. One front line is plugged at the Y and the other attached to the flagging line. An 8 knot doesn’t seem appropriate as the tension seems to be reversed so the bottom of the knot is taking the load (not sure if I’m making sense)

Splicing might be an option too. Can you splice Q power lines or is it too difficult with the innercore.
you can't splice qpowerline because it's cored, but you can knot it (you can't knot 12 strand line but you can splice it). So on the non-flag out line it's possible to replace it with q-powerline and figure 8 a knot behind the plastic Y, but on the other end, it needs to feed through the line, so if you put a knot anywhere it will catch and cause your safety to fail. You shouldn't take q-powerline and knot it behind the Y on the safety line, because when that knot runs through the rest of your safety system it will catch on the bar or some other place and fail when you least want it to. What you can do is get some 12-strand dyneema/spectra with poly coating, it's a bit thicker, 1.75mm or a bit thicker instead of 1.5mm and then splice where needed and replace your old lines.

Alternatively you can replace both lines with q-powerline and knot both behind the Y but take out that flag out system and instead leash on the depower rope if you have below the bar depower, or suicide, or possibly on an oh shit ring.

If you tie knots in spliced lines they will break the first time you put much pressure on them, I have seen it happen many times, don't do it.

Drat, I hadn't even thougth about the rest or the safty system. Yes that could be a problem for sure, it needs to run throught the iron hart which is a fairly narrow. so much for that idea.

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Postby edt » Mon Oct 15, 2012 6:38 pm

merl wrote:You can in fact sew qpower with a reasonable machine. Fold the line to make the desired loop. Wrap 10cm of the line below the loop with a narrow strip of kite repair tape. Sew a zigzag along the tape just like for sleeved lines.
yah but it doesnt help this guy cause it still wont fit thru the iron heart. has 2 be a spliced loop in this case

Return to “Kitesurfing”