All times are UTC + 1 hour

[ 31 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: the most important thing!!! READ!
PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 12:29 am 
Very Frequent Poster

after seeing many incidents on the beaches, there is one clear message:

release your quick release immediately if something does not go the right way...

Only this way you will not get injured!

Most accidents happen, because people are not trained to release immediately!

Just today, I saw an incident, luckily no one got injured:
a kiter wanted to land his kite, the helper didn't catch the kite, so it flew backwards, dropped and got power again and back onto the beach...some pedestrians in the middle of the lines! Instead of releasing immediately the QR, he started to run behind the kite, to not get pressure. Then after some seconds he released. He should have done it immediately.

WE NEED TO RELEASE IMMEDIATELY IF SOMETHING GOES WRONG!

That should be #1 priority during lessons!!! Release, release, release, without thinking!!! It has to be a reflex, just like driving a car and hitting the break. This will save your life one day!!!

Don't be ignorant to this posting, just learn where your QR is with closed eyes, do the movement to grab and release with closed eyes. Specially before you launch the kite, and also on teh water and once you want to land it.
Also release the QR one the water under pressure and without, so you can see, that it actually works!

That guy released for the first time in 5 years...never did it before, not trained at all! He got so lucky, that no one got injured!

Listen to this and start to be safe now, not only for you, also for others!

Good luck to everyone!!!

Toby

{ SHARE_ON_FACEBOOK } { SHARE_ON_TWITTER } { SHARE_ON_ORKUT } { SHARE_ON_DIGG } { SHARE_ON_MYSPACE } { SHARE_ON_DELICIOUS }
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 2:24 am 
Very Frequent Poster

Good point Toby.

Paragliding has a perfect parallel: The reserve handle on most harnesses is out
of sight (and just within reach, without straining) next to the right thigh.

Every time I launch, as soon as I've cleared the hill, I reach for that handle
and take a firm grip, hold it for a second, then release my grip. I could
probably find it in my sleep, without even touching any other part of the
harness. This is important because there are other straps on the harness
near the reserve that could possibly be mistaken for the deployment handle
by a pilot unfamiliar with the feel of it. Wasting just a second pulling on the
wrong strap could be fatal. The same goes for many kitesurfing QRs.

Of course neither paragliding reserves nor kitesurfing QRs are guaranteed to
save your life in an emergency, even when deployed promptly and correctly.
But they are guaranteed to not save your life if you don't know how to
deploy them promptly and correctly.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 3:44 am 
Very Frequent Poster

Location: Portugal - Guincho; Rebel2012 5m, 9m & 2011 7m; Amundson 5'9&6'
Even the more experienced must practice. Even having this on top of my mind all the time, it took me about 4 seconds to activate mine on a necessary situation a few days ago.
It didn't get into a risky situation, it was a kite tangle and we both did the same thing.
But it must be done in 1-2 sec

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 4:41 am 
Very Frequent Poster

Obsolutely agreed.

I have bought this up before too. Instinctive practice for emergency release. When you get into the situation there will likely be a freeze point, when your mind goes blank, it happened to me back in the early days and lucky I had been practicing in front of the TV releasing and reseting the safety.

Even then I still froze when the kite ripped me round and through a salt bush and I thought 'safety' and came out the other side off the bush with a released kite. A second longer,... bad news.

Practice and don't think that when it happens you will act rationally, that's why it has to be instinct. and if the situation is not that serious its just good measure to release it so it doesn't become worse.

Daz

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 4:47 am 
Very Frequent Poster

Location: i m lost cause kiting adrenaline steal my soul with heart
i agree with that !
last june , at cabarate , idiot guy hit me at water and i knew that his kite wrapped up with my kite to lead bad situation as same time as quick release then guy saw that then he followed me for quick release
both us dint get injury and he was cool to ask me as if alrite with me and kite
i say alrite ! as he was surprised that i m deaf kiter with quick thoughtful of safetly :thumb: 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 8:02 am 
Very Frequent Poster

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 8:48 am 
Very Frequent Poster

Original message expired.

Last edited by tungsten222 on Wed Feb 03, 2010 7:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 9:04 am 
Medium Poster

and if you have a chicken loop wiith a quick release on the side (ie slingshot), always put it on the same side, so instinctively know which hand to grab for it with, when the shit hits the fan!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 9:09 am 
Medium Poster

Toby, Nice thread ,,,,, these are the threads that remind us superheroes that we are still mere mortal ........ I posted this one on a different forum about a month ago but it relates 100% so I cut 'n pasted it

I was having a beaut time ...... been out for about 3/4 of an hour in 22-25k flying my 07 Shockwave ..... no crashes,re-launches, everything was just hunky doorie cruisin along and then 'ping' I felt something give !!!!

I looked up to see the kite starting to loop and power up .... I felt instantly that the kite was out of control and was going to drag me so I ejected within about a second. When I kite I always try to make sure there is a good buffer between me and the land and I prefer to be upwind of other kiters so the next 5 mins treading water whilst yarding in the kite was interesting to say the least. After retreving the kite / lines I had drifted in enough to touch and walked back to base. After laying the kite out I see that one of my bridle lines has snapped. I make a point of checking these pre-flight so I was a bit concerned to see that it has snapped in the middle .... right where a pulley concentrates its load. Looking at the other side of the bridle that was still intact I re-inspected where the pulley runs and ..... sure, there are signs of wear, but only a tiny bit of fluffing .... yet this is where the bridle snapped on the other side !!!! And even looking at the good one now, knowing full well the other side snapped on me today, when I compare the wear on the line I would say it looks good !!!
I bought this kite @ the start of March .... used it about 30 or 40 times until the start of May, and have only used it about another 20 times since then ... Its in VERY good condition.

The moral of the story is sure, you can check everything ...... But there is nothing like a surprise eh ....

KNOW your eject .... test it :thumb:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 10:20 am 
Medium Poster

I absolutely agree! They should do practical training releasing the kite in beginners lessons!
When i started kiteboarding training with the quick release was NOT part of the lessons.
I noticed later when i was kiting in egypt and had to release very often because they brought us back in by boat from time to time. I definitely had my problems releasing the moment they catched my kite from the boat. It took me too long. After 3 days i could do it blind in a second.

[ 31 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next