Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

REAL Kiteboarding is Now Hiring Coaches for the 2008 Season!

forum for kitesurfers

Satan
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 0
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Satan » Fri Dec 14, 2007 11:24 am

Do you require experience on how to start frivolous lawsuits and how to sell crap gear at inflated prices? Or is that included in employee "customer service" orientation?

Scribbler
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Scribbler » Fri Dec 14, 2007 12:31 pm

I coach Watertime, Ground Control and Zero to Hero already.

In fact I invented it.

Why would I want to work for REAL ?

avelos0001
Rare Poster

Postby avelos0001 » Fri Dec 14, 2007 2:41 pm

http://coastguardaux.com/pubpages/oupv.php

New coaches using wetbikes in lessons also have to have captains licenses per USCG and NC regs; true?

all 12 wetbikes are now operated during classes by captains now; true?

if not, do your insurance carriers and students know about this? Could be grounds for denial of coverage aside from government fines.

lots of laws out there operating permits, workers comp
not jus the ones served up in bs lawsuits for greedy plantifs
folks looking hard at reel now
via con dios

wonder howzit going with all dat money invested in jimmy lewis board production

Coaching Requirements
The main requirements of coaches at REAL include the following;

1. Professional Demeanor and Attitude.
2. Ability to Work well with others in a Team Environment.
3. Strong Communication Skills.
4. Can stay upwind.
5. Desire to Learn and Excel.

PaulMcD
Medium Poster

Postby PaulMcD » Fri Dec 14, 2007 3:52 pm

I am not going to comment on the merits (or lack thereof) of the lawsuits that REAL has apparently filed to protect their "trademarks". I will, however, strongly defend them on nearly every other point. I have been down to REAL with friends and family for lessons a half a dozen times. Each and every time my experience has been terrific whether or not the wind cooperated. I run a public company so I know a bit about business. The REAL coaches have been uniformly friendly, professional and obviously enthusiastic about the sport. Lessons start on time, the gear is first rate, and the instruction has been exemplary with an emphasis on safety and having fun.

I also have bought gear from REAL (and others) and each time I have spoken with Matt or Nick on the phone they have taken the time with me necessary and I have never felt pressured to buy anything. When I do buy a kite or a board, it arrives at my home, as advertised in just a couple of days.

The REAL bashing that goes on here denigrates the real effort and enthusiasm of their coaching staff that I have come to know over the years. Matt and Tripp run a business. That business supports their employees, their families and pumps money into the local economy. It has also helped the sport grow hugely. For example, I ride Best and Cabrinha kites. The Best kites I bought at REAL the Cabrinha kites I bought from a local rep essentially out of the back of his car.

We may not like the lawsuit stuff or the store credit policy, but the people that work at REAL are first rate and they provide a first rate kiting experience from beginner to expert.

BigR
Very Frequent Poster

Postby BigR » Fri Dec 14, 2007 3:54 pm

A boat captains license only requires what? a 20 hr coast gaurd training course?

I'm sure all "Reel Instructors" have this already, correct?

GhostDog
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Local Beach: Charleston South Carolina, USA
Favorite Beaches: Station 28, Sullivan's Island South Carolina. Katama Bay and Cape Pogue, Martha's Vineyard.
Style: Freeride, FreeStyle, some wave
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Rise Venturi, 8,10, 12
Underground FLX 135 x 41
OR Mako Wide

Postby GhostDog » Fri Dec 14, 2007 4:28 pm

I have been down to REAL with friends and family for lessons a half a dozen times. Each and every time my experience has been terrific whether or not the wind cooperated.

I also have bought gear from REAL (and others) and each time I have spoken with Matt or Nick on the phone they have taken the time with me necessary and I have never felt pressured to buy anything. When I do buy a kite or a board, it arrives at my home, as advertised in just a couple of days.

The REAL bashing that goes on here denigrates the real effort and enthusiasm of their coaching staff that I have come to know over the years. Matt and Tripp run a business.

We may not like the lawsuit stuff or the store credit policy, but the people that work at REAL are first rate and they provide a first rate kiting experience from beginner to expert.
I have to agree for the most part. I have been to Real 6 or 7 times, always have felt a positive vibe and have always felt that the level of enthusiasm has been high by most of the instructors.

I would say however that the gear advise can be a bit biased towards the stuff they happen to sell. They will really take the time to explain things and go through the differences in kites and boards but it is pretty much limited to the limited brands and styles they sell.

I have also felt that it is not as much of a 'we are small family doing something special together' feeling as it was in the old days. I guess that is inevitable with the size and success.

That said, it is still the best place in the world to go from Zero to Hero.

Skyway Scott

Postby Skyway Scott » Fri Dec 14, 2007 4:34 pm

If a USCG Captain's license is necessary it is FAR more complicated than a 20 hour course. The course hours for a local SeaSchool is 54 hours, I think.
In addition, you also have to prove a certain number of hours WATER TIME on boats over a period of years and have to pass multiple exams.
I am in the process now, it's a pain.
Due to homeland security issues, it's a real pain.

It's not as simple as just sitting in on a class, I think you are confusing a Coast Guard 6 pac license with a PASA certification. :wink:

In terms of Real being a class act. For some reason, my mind can't wrap around the idea of a class act suing shops over lamebo and highly generic terms.

They may have a bunch of cool guys/gals there (I know a few of them) but whoever brought that lawsuit(s) is not a class act, not in my book.

surf-turkey
Frequent Poster

Postby surf-turkey » Fri Dec 14, 2007 6:02 pm

The REAL bashing that goes on here denigrates the real effort and enthusiasm of their coaching staff that I have come to know over the years. Matt and Tripp run a business. That business supports their employees, their families and pumps money into the local economy
Yep, they run a business but so do all the small shops that they are 'allegedly' going after in these lawsuits. Those small business also support their employees, their families and they also pump money into the local economy. So don't try and defend them with some 'look at all the good they do' crap argument. Maybe they run a good program with lots of great instruction and points but I really don't think that is what has people all riled up about this whole thing. It's called integrity and class which, if the lawsuits are true, they have totally stripped themselves of. Why anyone would want to support a group like that is beyond me. As far as the Real bashing that goes on here, if someone has a problem with a kite related issue that's what this forum is for, if it is not accurate then someone will reply and refute it, usually the person/group it is targeted at or their supporters. The fact that not one person from Real has replied to any of this really speaks volumes about the whole thing. They obviously monitor the forum so they see what is going on. Guess we'll just have to wait and see.

afflatus
Very Frequent Poster

Postby afflatus » Fri Dec 14, 2007 6:14 pm

It's just a Real mess,

Personally, I think handing a 15m to a day one dude (see Today Show clip) in no wind is just mean...

Seriously, no helmet?
No wind?
No problem? we have 15m. trainers??

It was a Real clusterfuck / ripoff in my humble opinion.

Poor guy never ever had a chance, he got hosed for his trust for real...

No Refunds !!!

Yeah, they're stoked alright

dark conscience kiter
Rare Poster

Postby dark conscience kiter » Fri Dec 14, 2007 6:23 pm

welllllllll maybe the small shops shouldnt have violated the trademark patent/.?

Return to “Kitesurfing”