Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

The Safety Topic: please post your experience and advice!

forum for kitesurfers

sarc
Very Frequent Poster

Re: The Safety Topic: please post your experience and advice!

Postby sarc » Mon Jun 25, 2018 4:03 am

Another video showing how to self-launch safely (unhooked)
Just search youtube for the video title shown on top left
Again, audio is in French, but you can just mute it if you want. Images are self-explanatory.
[img
Self launch unhooked.jpg
][/img]

Works in strong wind too (if you are getting dragged around the beach holding on the CL with your hands it's probably a good idea to let go, land kite to safety leash, and change down 3 sq m size. If not, go out and have fun!!)
sarc wrote:
Wed Dec 20, 2017 4:30 pm
This pro launches in the way I was describing in my video below. His video is much better, highly recommended! In French but video is self-explaining
phpBB [video]

sarc wrote:
Mon May 22, 2017 10:20 am
Hello guys
many accidents occur at launch... just last week someone dies in San Francisco due to a launch gone wrong. In that thread I noted that if the person had launched unhooked he would still be with us today; I was asked to post a video of what I mean by unhooked launch, so there it is. Sorry for the poor video quality, I just hope that it brings the message across and make people aware of this approach to launching.
phpBB [video]

tkachuk
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2014
Local Beach: Cherry, Wasaga, Sandbanks
Favorite Beaches: Long Bay Turks, Crandon FL, Silver Sands Barbados
Style: carving my jibes on TT, boosting
Gear: CORE, Shinn, Flysurfer Sonic 2
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby tkachuk » Tue Jun 26, 2018 10:35 pm

Maybe an unhooked launch would of prevented my recent deathloop up the beach. Intermediate kiter and I was doing an regular assisted launch with a 20 knot onshore steady wind. During launch, a large balled up knot, taking up 20cm or so of coiled line suddenly formed in the downwind steering line and launched me into the rocks. Why didnt I quick release? Because the whole incident took less than three seconds! My lines were clear and not crossed up prior to thumbs up but I failed to see the damn knot. Couldnt control the kite and it looped me three times across rocks and shells into some neighboring scrub. Ouch.

sarc
Very Frequent Poster

Postby sarc » Mon Jul 02, 2018 5:56 am

Deathloops on launch WILL happen in your kitesurfing career. it may be just a few bruises and a laugh, or a life in a wheelchair or worse. In my case it was a slight concussion and a broken rib... and I was wearing helmet and PFD. It was a perfectly normal launch like I have done 10,000 time before. Since then, I never launched hooked in again (that was a few years back...)

Return to “Kitesurfing”