Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

The Safety Topic: please post your experience and advice!

Forum with lots of safety info - a must for newbees
Ned Divine
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: The Safety Topic: please post your experience and advice

Postby Ned Divine » Wed Jul 06, 2011 3:02 pm

Sideshore winds is safer and gives you more time and room to practice. Only downside, you 'll have to do the walk of shame and may need rescue if in trouble in deep waters. :thumb:

mvb1985
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Netherlands

Postby mvb1985 » Sat Jul 16, 2011 5:01 pm

What exactly is happening right here?
He makes a sinus but the kite collapses.
Then it catches wind again and falls on the other side.

Later the guy and his kite and board were picked up by a jetski

Ned Divine
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Ned Divine » Sun Jul 17, 2011 11:35 am

mvb1985 wrote:...He makes a sinus ...
The kite is directed to the water, probably by mistake (?novice?cramp). It doesn't seem to collapse. Then it is blown to the other side of the wind window.

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Postby Kamikuza » Sun Jul 17, 2011 2:04 pm

Broken line?

Hubbs
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Conrad's Beach
Clam Harbour Beach
Style: Freestyle
Gear: Ozone - 8m Frenzy
Ozone - 4m Access
Flex Deck

Postby Hubbs » Sun Jul 17, 2011 3:42 pm

On the first crash the kite turns inside out and then takes back off again, watch the first crash slowly, he crashes and goes down wind into the kite, slacking the lines

mikewang
Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: Maui
Style: Pro n00b
Gear: Naish 6m/9m.

Postby mikewang » Tue Jul 19, 2011 10:05 am

mvb1985 wrote: Now i was wondering about the following issue. I could more easily start to the left (my rightfoot as backfoot) than to the right.
Im afraid that when im going to practice with sideshore winds i can make some runs offshore but not easily back to the beach. Should i practice only with onshore winds for the first couple of times (risking that i dont have many space to make mistakes)

Any advice?

Thank you in advance.
There is one CRITICAL skill that some instructors do not teach as a prerequisite. Upwind body drag. Learn how to do this, and you can go anywhere you want, even if you don't know how to plane on a board. This will help you retrieve your board, and also help you get back to land once you retrieve your board.

I learned how to body drag upwind in my 2nd year of kiting. Very stubborn and lazy to learn it prior, wore a board leash. Terrible. Waste of wind. The sooner your learn how to upwind body drag, the sooner you will be riding with confidence.

Kitecult
Rare Poster

Postby Kitecult » Tue Jul 19, 2011 2:05 pm

Anybody here know how to get out of the situation shown in the video above? What happens is that the kite falls, pics up wind again and inverts. When it is then back on the water, it cannot be relaunched because the power lines are actually on top of the kite, pushing it down. Does anybody know a way to correct this, without going out of the water? I had that situation a few times and everytime a friend just went to the wings of my kite and put the line back under the kite. But this is not the safest way I assume, cause the kite powers up again with your friend next to it. So, any suggestions?

Cheers

dandaka
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kaliningrad, Russia
Favorite Beaches: Boracay, Philippines / Mui Ne, Vietnam
Style: unhooked / newschool / wakestyle
Gear: North Vegas 12m² 2012
North Vegas 9m² 2010
North Vegas 7m² 2010
North Team Series 131cm 2011
Mystic Warrior III Len10 2012

Postby dandaka » Fri Jul 22, 2011 4:25 pm

Kitecult wrote:Anybody here know how to get out of the situation shown in the video above? What happens is that the kite falls, pics up wind again and inverts. When it is then back on the water, it cannot be relaunched because the power lines are actually on top of the kite, pushing it down. Does anybody know a way to correct this, without going out of the water? I had that situation a few times and everytime a friend just went to the wings of my kite and put the line back under the kite. But this is not the safest way I assume, cause the kite powers up again with your friend next to it. So, any suggestions?
1. Don't let your kite fall into water, hehe :)
2. If your kite is falling, try not to slack the lines. If lines are under tension when kite is falling, you can avoid inverting and relaunch it easily.
3. If your kite fell to water on slacking lines, it can be tricky to relaunch it. Your kite can be inverted. If you have 5th line, it will be wrapped around your kite. You have only option — safe release and swim to the shore. If you have 4 lines, but your kite is inverted, you can untwist it. To do so, you need to unhook and wrap lines on your bar inside out. This should be done when lines are under tension and you understand, which way you should turn them.
4. Most of time its either relaunching easily, either you need to swim to the shore.

behindThePeak
Rare Poster

Postby behindThePeak » Tue Aug 09, 2011 6:57 am

Kitecult wrote:Anybody here know how to get out of the situation shown in the video above? What happens is that the kite falls, pics up wind again and inverts. When it is then back on the water, it cannot be relaunched because the power lines are actually on top of the kite, pushing it down. Does anybody know a way to correct this, without going out of the water? I had that situation a few times and everytime a friend just went to the wings of my kite and put the line back under the kite. But this is not the safest way I assume, cause the kite powers up again with your friend next to it. So, any suggestions?

Cheers
I've had success getting my four line kites to flip back on their own by keeping them as full of wind as possible. I try to favor whatever side is the least constrained and work that line, encouraging the kite to turn on end so it can correct itself. Alternating pull from front to back lines at just the right time seems to help too. Although even if you do get it back in the air you'll likely still have to limp back to the beach with inverted lines.

K-School SafetyFirst
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: IJmuiden, Netherlands
Favorite Beaches: Vlieland, Netherlands
Tremembe, Brazil
Style: Allschool
Gear: Inflatables and Flysurfer

Postby K-School SafetyFirst » Sun Aug 21, 2011 2:04 am

Solution for the video situation: try pulling lines alternately. A steering line, frontlines, wait for the wind to turn it.

Even an inverted kite can be flown back to the beach.

Return to “Safety”