Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

The Safety Topic: please post your experience and advice!

Forum with lots of safety info - a must for newbees
montanna
Medium Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: The Safety Topic: please post your experience and advice!

Postby montanna » Wed Mar 05, 2008 1:42 pm

i do not leash the kite because the point is to not have any attachment to the kite at all. I could almost guarantee that this method of launching would prevent 90% of kite launching accidents. SOO many experienced/inexperienced people grab the bar during launch and pull it all the way in. What is that all about?
Please try this method and let me know if any step along the way seems dangerous. At our local beach every single kiter launches this way and they all think it is very safe. it does take some time to reiterate it to kiters but then it becomes second nature.

Proparoo
Rare Poster

Postby Proparoo » Wed Mar 05, 2008 5:44 pm

I don't know if this topic has been added, but I simply launch & land with one hand on my safety release. As most of us know, when things go wrong they go wrong almost too fast to react and if I have my hand on my release I might be able to actually do something.

Where I kite is Sherman Island CA and it's all rocks at the launch (Big ass rocks) and not much beach to speak of so if things go wrong it could be bad, really bad.

montanna
Medium Poster

Postby montanna » Wed Mar 05, 2008 6:15 pm

having one hand on the safety is always a good idea. my method is more getting kiter and launcher in position safely.

ronnie
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ronnie » Fri Mar 07, 2008 1:07 pm

montanna wrote:i do not leash the kite because the point is to not have any attachment to the kite at all. I could almost guarantee that this method of launching would prevent 90% of kite launching accidents. SOO many experienced/inexperienced people grab the bar during launch and pull it all the way in. What is that all about?
Please try this method and let me know if any step along the way seems dangerous. At our local beach every single kiter launches this way and they all think it is very safe. it does take some time to reiterate it to kiters but then it becomes second nature.
The method sounds OK on second reading. You do connect the safety when hooking in.
Sorry, my misread.

prayfawind27
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Blu hill, Coral harbour(in front of the little key) Go Slow, Club Med
Favorite Beaches: kite beach Cabarete , Crondon Park Miami
Style: Free style

Postby prayfawind27 » Thu Mar 13, 2008 10:06 pm

safety advice would be it isn’t wise for a beginner to be teaching meaning if you just learnt how to ride Isn’t safe to be teaching family or ya buddy(just to save a buck). Board leash riders, take 15 minutes to learn board retrieval it’s easy as hell. Practice releasing your safety every so offton so when the times come it’s second nature and your not fumble trying to find it . Bad vibes , I’m experiencing this first hand, when you’re having bad vibes about the session package up and call it a day, he who runs from a bad vibe can kite another day( 7 inch mental plate ,7 screws, physio for god knows how long and can’t ride for 6 month possible a year.
:thumb:

Crispy
Medium Poster

Postby Crispy » Fri Mar 21, 2008 8:08 pm

I really like the method that montanna mentioned and plan to try it out when my water season starts. Even with experience kiters and launchers accidents can still happen before the kiter gets a chance to release.

I also think that this method would have the added benefit that the launcher would be very clear that you are still checking your lines and not ready to go yet. Because lets face it, a lot of people completely ignore or misinterpret the hand signals and this results in a lot of accidents and close calls.

Chris

montanna
Medium Poster

Postby montanna » Sat Mar 22, 2008 2:01 pm

Hey Crispy,
Glad you like the idea. I love it and feel SOO safe doing it. I see on a daily basis "experienced" kiters have terrible launches. This method also makes it easier for the launcher to handle the kite.

If you have any questions please pm me.

alll the best and safe flying.

Crispy
Medium Poster

Postby Crispy » Sun Mar 23, 2008 3:56 am

[quote="montanna"]Hey Crispy,
This method also makes it easier for the launcher to handle the kite.

Yeah, it sucks if you're launching someone's kite and you have to fight to hold it down because the kiter walks upwind of you while getting into position.

Chris

jjjlaudenslager
Medium Poster
Local Beach: none any more
Favorite Beaches: South Padre Island
Style: kitesurfing
Gear: Naish Ride 8m
many various boards

Postby jjjlaudenslager » Mon Mar 24, 2008 1:07 am

We had a tragedy here a few days ago. I and some others saw a kiter being towed by his violently looping kite. By the time we got to him he was unrevivable. We don't know exactly what happened, but we found him free of his bar but attached by his leash, which was on backward, that is, with the emergency release away from him. And if he managed to hand-over-hand up to it, and pulled it, that wouldn't have worked because his release in that position needed to be pushed.

I suggest the industry standardize a leash whose emergency release is worked by a pull away from the short end. And there should only be one quick clip, and that at the long end of the leash. A loop or some such at the short end should encourage newbies to fasten that end to their harness, and leave it.

ronnie
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ronnie » Tue Mar 25, 2008 2:40 pm

jjjlaudenslager wrote:We had a tragedy here a few days ago. I and some others saw a kiter being towed by his violently looping kite. By the time we got to him he was unrevivable. We don't know exactly what happened, but we found him free of his bar but attached by his leash, which was on backward, that is, with the emergency release away from him. And if he managed to hand-over-hand up to it, and pulled it, that wouldn't have worked because his release in that position needed to be pushed.

I suggest the industry standardize a leash whose emergency release is worked by a pull away from the short end. And there should only be one quick clip, and that at the long end of the leash. A loop or some such at the short end should encourage newbies to fasten that end to their harness, and leave it.
Did he also connect the leash to the wrong ring?

Return to “Safety”