All times are UTC + 1 hour

[ 224 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 ... 23  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Safety Topic: please post your experience and advice
PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 8:00 am 
Rare Poster

ahhhh - ok i get the picture.

So if i'm on a deserted beach just flying the kite to get a feel for it / practice kite control there's no huge danger to myself in say skimming the top of the window from 2 oclock through to 12 oclock and powering up to lift myself a few feet in the air?

I was doing this the other day and on about the 10th jump the kite drifted upwind over my head at 12 oclock as i landed, stalled and just floated to the ground. landed right downwind tho in the powerzone which made me wonder what would happen if it suddenly powered up again? (probably something bad right?.... haha).

i feel like i'm hijacking this thread a bit so feel free to delete / move my post if you want.

cheers

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 5:48 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

west_oz wrote:

I was doing this the other day and on about the 10th jump the kite drifted upwind over my head at 12 oclock as i landed, stalled and just floated to the ground. landed right downwind tho in the powerzone which made me wonder what would happen if it suddenly powered up again? (probably something bad right?.... haha).

I just hope you are in the water when you find out what happens. I'll give you a hint though...from my experience with two kites, I have found that when a kite Hindenburgs, by a lull in the wind, and then falls down (stalled, as you said), and gets hit with a gust, when it is about 15 feet off the water, the kite will take on so much power in a split second, that the kite will be ripped completely in two. And that is the good part of what happens. The bad part is what happens, just before the kite rips, to the rider...swan-diving into the air and then the bottom, head first.

This is situation where the kiter gets only a split second to decide whether or not to throw the kite to its safety. After you have had a couple of kites get ripped in two...and come close to breaking your neck, you will always err on the side of throwing the kite to its safety, rather than betting against a gust hitting the kite. I hope you are on the water, where there is some cushioning for your body, when you learn this. On land, you are garrenteed of an injury, or worse.

Best of luck to you, in surviving your initial learning and experimental period.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 7:10 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

There are a few hundred posts dealing with a wide variety of safety topics going back many years at this subforum Toby created for me six years ago. In some cases there are similar expanded discussions in the main forum as well.

http://www.kiteforum.com/viewforum.php?f=131

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 11:31 pm 
Rare Poster

don't park your car downwind 15 feet from your beach you will mess up your paint job.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 7:07 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

mthboards wrote:
don't park your car downwind 15 feet from your beach you will mess up your paint job.

Suction cup is perfect as a dent puller

Attachments:
31SdNtSrmhL._SL500_AA300_.jpg
31SdNtSrmhL._SL500_AA300_.jpg [ 9.63 KIB | Viewed 1162 times ]
PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 7:45 pm 
Frequent Poster

I know its been covered but some of us don't seem to learn or just don't like asking. I am referring to launching and landing help. At the beach today, with no intent to kite just went to see the action. As normal I am always on hand to help launch or land any of the guys. I am an unknown there, the guys either asked for help or I offered to help if I saw someone needing help. My point is not one of them asked do I know what I'm doing, they all assumed I did cause I was in the kiting zone on the beach. We all know what happens when someone who doesn't know how to help can make things worse to the point of someone losing their life. We have to protect our selves, we have to ask the question "do you know how to do it, have you done it before" we just can't assume they know. Safe flying :thumb:

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 5:34 am 
Rare Poster

I once dropped my kite in the surf and while the lines where in the water with under no tension, i must have looped my arm with one of the lines. Then a wave hit my kite and the line pulled tight around my bicep and cut into me deep.

i tryed to pull the line to release the tension but it only cut into my hand. So i ended up being towed by my arm until the wave passed over my kite and i could un wrap the line from my arm. Very scary and could have taken my arm off!!

Keep your limbs free of your lines when crashing the kite. This could have been worse if the kite had relaunched and went into a kitelooping frenzy. With my arm attached!!!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 7:11 am 
Medium Poster

Day before yesterday, lovely stable side-on SE wind around 20knots, 6-7 of us having a great time when suddenly (within about a minute!) the wind climbed to an unbelievable force. None of us could control our 9m2 LEIs and being lofted/dragged/spinned to the beach and car park became a real possibility. Very rare for our spot, but it did happen! :( Very glad I had my QR tested before launching! :thumb: Mind you, even left on the safety leash I was being dragged and the kite spinned and launched/crashed uncontrollably, so I had to self rescue pulling a back line..!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 2:28 am 
Medium Poster

I gotta throw in one story for helmets. I was out launching someone in NC, turned for a second toward shore and my buddy had been coming in to be landed. One of his lines picked that minute to break. The kite under load took off fast, did a big sweeping arc, and drove straight onto my head/shoulder at speed. You've heard kites hitting the water at speed, WHACK, from that far away, you know it's energy. It was like getting hit by a linebacker, and I had no chance whatever to see it coming. I have NO doubt that the helmet saved me a concussion, or at the least a serious case of seeing stars.

So, noone was to blame, there was nothing I nor anyone could have done, it was purely a case of "stuff" happens, and the helmet was there.

I've also noticed that the more guys that have helmets on, I'll see guys that don't always wear theirs put theirs on. I think that there's some that want to wear them, but don't because they don't want to look lame. Interesting.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 5:14 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

Lots of people ride routinely close to and parallel to the shore. I honestly don't know how important a fact this was in the current case. Unfortunately, a percentage will be hurt by the practice in other instances. I was cured of wanting to do this by a guy who struck bottom and was dragged up the beach to strike a wall head first in Cabarete about nine years ago. It can happen blindingly fast, a buffer may be the only thing that allows you time to react to avoid harm.

We had a young lady do a trick too close to shore here last week, busted the landing and went to the hospital with injuries. Years before there was another woman at this same launch who lost control near shore, was looped into the sand and lost her vision for several hours. I wouldn't wish that sensation on anyone, it can be a terrifying thing. Also years back, a guy at the same beach did something similar and broke his neck. Fortunately it was a limited fracture and he recovered without paralysis. All three just hit sand, no rocks needed. There was another case of a guy doing the same thing in a nearby area, struck bottom, looped his kite and was dragged inland at high speed. He ended up being paralyzed in his lower legs. Then there are bystanders to think about flying kites overhead and inland, not good. There are many, MANY other accidents over the years resulting from riding too close to shore.

In short, too close, is too close, distance really is your friend. It is something to think about.

Kamikuza wrote:
sarc wrote:
Methinks one lesson to be learned from this tragedy. Don't do your tricks 10 ft from shore. 1,000 times it will be fine, 1001th could kill you or someone else.

Really what's the disadvantage of doing your tricks 50 ft from shore? Is being 'legit' and 'kool' really worth the risk?

EVERYONE does it here ... often, less than a few meters from the shoreline!

It's sad to see that someone got hammered for it :(

Oh and PS sandy beaches still hurt :(

http://www.kiteforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2368525

[ 224 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 ... 23  Next