Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

The Safety Topic: please post your experience and advice!

Forum with lots of safety info - a must for newbees
K-School SafetyFirst
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: IJmuiden, Netherlands
Favorite Beaches: Vlieland, Netherlands
Tremembe, Brazil
Style: Allschool
Gear: Inflatables and Flysurfer
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: The Safety Topic: please post your experience and advice!

Postby K-School SafetyFirst » Sun Mar 28, 2010 9:23 pm

Wow, snapping a stomach muscle, never heard that one before.

Lofting needn't be such a problem as long as you manage to stay cool and control your kite. When you're high up it's dangerous to release your kite. Better use it to make a smooth landing.

Katya Red Sea
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Magawish, Hurghada
Gear: Naish Charger 2010 7,9,11,13

Re: The Safety Topic: please post your experience and advice

Postby Katya Red Sea » Thu Jul 08, 2010 8:01 am

Nico wrote:One of the most basic rules that will help you stay out of big trouble is :

DO NOT KITE ALONE

What I mean by this is you will always get rapid response to your problems out ther if you are riding with some buddies or other "normal" kiters.
Should you not have anyone to accompany you, let the people ashore know where, when, how long , etc you are going out.

Nico
totally agree
diving PADI system is useful for kiting too. if you never think of diving alone, why should you think of kiting alone? it is water, and there are certain risks

K-School SafetyFirst
Frequent Poster
Tremembe, Brazil

Postby K-School SafetyFirst » Tue Jul 27, 2010 1:28 am

I think you should be careful not to make too much general rules.
Yes, in general, we shouldn't kite alone.
But there are circumstances where it's not a greatly increased risk.
Like: people on the beach, flat water, stable side-onshore wind, wide beach without obstacles, thoroughly checked gear and experienced rider.

Laughingman
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay
Favorite Beaches: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay, Long Bay, Cayo Guillermo, La Ventana
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Gen6 Flites 10m, 12m Gen2 Roams 6m and 8m, Cloud D 4.8, 6.2, 8.0, 10.4
Xeon Laluz, Mako Wide 150, Jellyfish Custom surf board quad fin 6', LF Impulse Foil and Kanaha Shapes 37" board
Engine Harness with slider

Postby Laughingman » Tue Jul 27, 2010 2:42 am

K-School SafetyFirst wrote:I think you should be careful not to make too much general rules.
Yes, in general, we shouldn't kite alone.
But there are circumstances where it's not a greatly increased risk.
Like: people on the beach, flat water, stable side-onshore wind, wide beach without obstacles, thoroughly checked gear and experienced rider.
It would be a serious error in judgment to go kiting and think just because you are with "people" that you are safer. YOU ARE NOT! It is highly unlikely that anyone would be able to get to you on time if you are knocked unconscious or you are drowning, or both. You should always consider this when kiting, the fact is there could be 100s of people around and no one would see your accident or that you were drowning (or even recognize the signs of drowning) and even if they did, by the time they got to you, found a way to drag you to shore, had emergency serviced called... even starting CPR. You would likely not survive. I know some people have survived, but I feel it is a mistake to think that is the norm or the majority. This is an extreme sport. You risk your lives each time you go out. Measure that risk carefully my friends.

Sincerely

Pete

K-School SafetyFirst
Frequent Poster
Tremembe, Brazil

Postby K-School SafetyFirst » Tue Jul 27, 2010 11:53 pm

Laughingman wrote: It would be a serious error in judgment to go kiting and think just because you are with "people" that you are safer. YOU ARE NOT! It is highly unlikely that anyone would be able to get to you on time if you are knocked unconscious or you are drowning, or both...This is an extreme sport. You risk your lives each time you go out.
Pete
Right, it's an extreme sport. I do take the carefully estimated risk everytime - in every differing circumstance. It's a personal evaluation and not 100% foolproof.
I DO FEEL SAFER if there are people ashore.
I have had a helping hand several times.
Surely getting knocked unconscious is probably lethal, even with 10 kiters around. It has happened with 40 kiters around.
It's a risk I take.
For me, and a lot of other well-experienced kiters, sometimes our judgment is that it is not too dangerous to go out alone, in some circumstances. So I wouldn't make it a dogma to never kite alone.
Is it a bad example for beginners?
At any point they will have to learn that they themselves have to judge their skills, the circumstances and the risk that they're willing to take.
In this case, if you set an example, you're probably not alone anymore.

Laughingman
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay
Favorite Beaches: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay, Long Bay, Cayo Guillermo, La Ventana
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Gen6 Flites 10m, 12m Gen2 Roams 6m and 8m, Cloud D 4.8, 6.2, 8.0, 10.4
Xeon Laluz, Mako Wide 150, Jellyfish Custom surf board quad fin 6', LF Impulse Foil and Kanaha Shapes 37" board
Engine Harness with slider

Postby Laughingman » Wed Jul 28, 2010 2:19 am

K-School SafetyFirst wrote: Right, it's an extreme sport. I do take the carefully estimated risk everytime - in every differing circumstance. It's a personal evaluation and not 100% foolproof.
I DO FEEL SAFER if there are people ashore.
I have had a helping hand several times.
Surely getting knocked unconscious is probably lethal, even with 10 kiters around. It has happened with 40 kiters around.
It's a risk I take.
For me, and a lot of other well-experienced kiters, sometimes our judgment is that it is not too dangerous to go out alone, in some circumstances. So I wouldn't make it a dogma to never kite alone.
Is it a bad example for beginners?
At any point they will have to learn that they themselves have to judge their skills, the circumstances and the risk that they're willing to take.
In this case, if you set an example, you're probably not alone anymore.
Well said, the point being is that if you are alone or if you are with 40 other kiters and people on the beach, you should assess the conditions and your ability to "mitigate" the risks. We take risks every time we go out, I think it is important to talk about it so that the beginners we are influencing are aware of the risks we are accepting, why we are accepting them and how we intend to deal with them. Of course there are a million things we cannot possibly plan for but if we think about it, we might just make one less mistake that one mistake could cost us dearly. Be smart my friends, have fun, but make sure you come home so you can kite another day.

Sincerely
Pete

Galeltic
Very Frequent Poster
Location: i m lost cause kiting adrenaline steal my soul with heart

Postby Galeltic » Wed Jul 28, 2010 3:58 am

hey kevin slater
its about if a squall is coming don't try and beat it to shore , go out into clear water and park your butt in the water and put the kite up overhead depowered. The worse that will happen is you might get teabagged a couple of mtrs out of the water, which is a much better option than arriving at the beach as the squall hits and getting dragged through the car park or slammed into a building etc.

i think no good idea about put kite up overhead depowered cuz squall would pick kite up to pull u out of water to high air and drop u off to get hurt anyway they should check up at weather report first for play widsom and safe or last minute squall come faster then let kite go down water and release o.r. then roll lines up faster to catch kite where u could lay on or release air out of L.E then roll kite and rest on it until squall gone then swim shore .... but squall never happen at my country . what u think ?

long time ago my deaf friend encouraged me switched into kite from extreme windsurf .
i cant take lesson from iko or pasa instructor who dunno any sign lang to commuicate with me as deaf anyway he (deaf.too) taught me into kitesurf after i praciticed with trainer kite but he forget teach me one more thing cause i almost get killed and i didnt blame on him cuz i wanna learn , anyway
accident cause my hand didnt hold center bar when i tried to get on board before go so my hand was at end bar to pull bit make kite go right side and pull me out water and good thing for my quick thinking about recovery then at baja other small accident with same problem before iko instructor know me as deaf , saw what problem and gestured commiucation with me about safetly control bar then now i m good kiter , big sigh ! so never do hand on end bar for noobies

matt at jibe's
Rare Poster
Local Beach: mui ne viet nam
Favorite Beaches: mui ne beach; hon rom/ Mack beach, Suoi Nuoc (viet nam)
enshuu beach in Hamamatsu, Japan
Tenryuugawa beach in Hamamatsu, Japan
Manta, Ecuador
Style: snowboard/old school/surfboard
Gear: Airush lithium in smallest sizes, f-one bandit, RRD etc
boards: Xenon!
Brand Affiliation: as chief instructor at Jibe's in Mui Ne, Viet Nam
we carry airush/f-one/prolimit/etc

Postby matt at jibe's » Mon Aug 16, 2010 6:13 am

never, never use a board leash. i have sent too many people to the hospital because of board leashes. Instead, learn how to bodydrag upwind effectively.

The accident below was not caused by the lack of a board leash. Reading the account suggests that the causes of the accident would include:

1) choosing to go out in unsafe conditions
2) lack of 360 degree awareness, i.e., watching for oncoming wave in the break zone
3) trying to mess with the lines when the kite is down in the break zone: should just release it instead.

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Postby Kamikuza » Mon Aug 16, 2010 3:00 pm

People are idiots ... I hate having to rely on other people!

When I broke my wrist, I was down the other end of the beach, maybe 150m away - stood there waving one hand over my head in the prescribed "I need help" gesture and guess what ... nobody helped :o

So I secured the kite (sand on the tip, was an arc), wrapped the lines up by holding the bar in my dangling broken hand, walked back up the beach, took off my harness and carried my kite bag, board and harness back across the road to the club house then realized I didn't have a phone ... contemplated driving to the nearest hospital but they have a funny system here about accepting sick people so bought a couple bottles of cold water from the vending machine then waited for someone to turn up with a phone ... called an ambulance, called the wife, waited for ambulance, waited for them to find a hospital ... died of shame as they drove to the hospital with the sirens going :lol:

It's tough just getting a launch out of some people ...!!!

K-School SafetyFirst
Frequent Poster
Tremembe, Brazil

Postby K-School SafetyFirst » Thu Aug 26, 2010 8:32 am

If you say that a kitesurfer shouldn't go out alone, do you want me to wait until every kitesurfer has a 21m Flysurfer Speed Deluxe + Door?

Return to “Safety”