All times are UTC + 1 hour

[ 48 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: dimitri when are we getting our megaloop tutorial video
PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 7:22 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

I know you have had plenty of megaloop wind in the past few months lets see it. tks.

{ SHARE_ON_FACEBOOK } { SHARE_ON_TWITTER } { SHARE_ON_ORKUT } { SHARE_ON_DIGG } { SHARE_ON_MYSPACE } { SHARE_ON_DELICIOUS }
 Post subject: Re: dimitri when are we getting our megaloop tutorial video
PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 7:52 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

I agree. The GO BIG video was great. And now I need to learn to megaloop!

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 9:47 pm 
Medium Poster

shawn13 wrote:

You don't learn megaloops through a video, you learn it by pushing yourself a little further every session.

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 10:02 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

Frank82 wrote:
shawn13 wrote:

You don't learn megaloops through a video, you learn it by pushing yourself a little further every session.
bruh, the whole point to a megaloop video is to learn without injury. you can also learn how to kiteboard by strapping yourself to a 2 line kite and jumping in the ocean, the point is lessons make things easier, quicker safer.

I would love to learn what dimitri has to say about it.

I actually think megaloops are much much safer and much easier than they seem to be the real problem is that most of the kite teachers out there are afraid to loop the kite, or they don't know how to break it up into little progressions.

it's absolutely ridiculous that to learn how to megaloop you just go out there and starting throwing it!

But that's where we are thanks to lack of decent lessons and teachers. You hear about people getting busted up all the time throwing megaloops. I think dimitri can teach us how to prevent injury, and make it if not risk free at least a risk you can understand.

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 10:15 pm 
Medium Poster

Anybody can learn to do a kiteloop, megaloops are quite different though. They require more technique and a lot bigger balls. The reason for more technique is because if you fuck up you get destroyed.

Then, what is a megaloop:
9m in 35kn, 7m in 40kn+. For example this vid:

Looping the kite at 4m height in 25kn with a 9m is not a megaloop.

I do think that a good instructional video to learn kiteloops can be worthwhile for those who want to get into it. After that it's up to the rider to start pushing their skills and balls.

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 10:59 pm 
Frequent Poster

I'm with edt on this one. We were promised a kiteloop/megaloop tutorial, I wish to see it. As someone who has been playing with aerial kiteloops for about a year now, I am approaching the point where I wish to start progressing towards a megaloop. I posted my essay on kiteloops awhile ago that covers many of the basic mechanics quite well, but having a top level rider come in and spell things out with visual examples would be really helpful BEFORE I begin training myself to do a megaloop. Hopefully, it reduces some of the pain involved as I do not have the titanium ribs that Ruben Lenten and Aaron Hadlow have.

Agree the problem is alot of instructors who cannot break it down into parts and are scared of doing it. Biggest issue is people learn how to do something that works for them but cannot understand the forces involved and as such, cannot pass on knowledge. Eg, the technique to doing wider/slower kiteloops works abit differently with different sized kites, which may be necessitated by different rider weight classes. So while a certain angle/sheet in with a certain start point works well for a 140lb rider in 35 knots on a 7m, it works out different for a heavier rider on an 11m in those same conditions. Adjustments are required but you need to understand conceptually what to do to make thos eadjustments - riders who learn via brute trial and error and do not take the time to understand what is occurring cannot teach their knowledge on as their approach will only ever work for them.

So for example, as a heavyweight rider doing kiteloops, I have to start my kiteloops earlier than anyone else I know. I can successfully do aerial kiteloops with my 17m Fat Lady in light winds and with my11m RPM in higher winds, but gotta start really early relative to a lightweight rider using a 7m kite in stronger winds. Moving on to a megaloop, I will need insane wind - like 40 knots to do it and a 9m tough kite that won't warp (my 11m RPM's structure (LE+struts) starts to warp in aggressive moves over 33 knots). Although I can practice with some wider/fast standard kiteloops (sheet in with a small angle on the bar) in 30 knot winds that are easier to find. I still won't take the kite horizontal to me though as that makes me nervous for now - I gotta practice a secondary heliloop first so I can prep myself and train my muscles to do the late loop that slacking lines on a megaloop will cause.

So yeah, a video on this stuff with the explicit intent to teach as opposed to show off (Lenten/Hadlow vids) would be awesome. So far, that ROmanian video is the best video tutorial of how to do loops in general I have found. Progression vids on the subject suck even though I like most of their content.

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2015 1:34 am 
Frequent Poster

Frank, the megaloop at 58 is insane.....

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2015 2:38 am 
Frequent Poster

Dracop.... learning the "heli loop" or down loop is a good idea preceeding the Mega... to avoid swinging too far forward under the kite and having it roll out - espespecially in surf, where you could get thrown into your line or fall around you...

You say you need to start earlier than skinny blokes lol

Its not about wieght - its learning by feel, what percentage of "Lift" power is left, going upwards...

For example... leave it to the last 5% berfore the top and your gonna get a Heli loop.

If the wind is constant and strong on the way up / strong bar pressure... and does not drop off etc
then youd be good to pull the trigger at 70% the way up - relying on that 30% for the megaloop kite speed to go all way round.

Where you get spanked - is in a deep mega loop with no bugger all power - the kite backstalls and you both fall out of the sky and destroy yourself.

The 9 and 7m Screamers are awesome for doing them because there very powerful for their size, as well as catching you for a softer touchdown than C kites..

Most importantly for everyone (including myself) if you know its too late to pull it - DONT :)

Jesse richmaonds gnarly wipeout in the red bull comp is what happens..

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2015 5:27 am 
Frequent Poster

This video on the hooked in kiteloop is a great "how to" video on throwing powered loops period. This isn't quite a mega loop but he's not far off. The principles are still the same. The only thing this video doesn't tell you is the rider lands with a transition kite loop. So I wish they had the kite in the video frame the entire time so you can see how the rider down loops the transition.

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2015 7:35 am 
Very Frequent Poster

I am wondering what info do you expect from a megaloop tutorial?

Go high, pull the bar and pray that your kite will catch you again.
All you need is balls, nothing technical here ;-)

[ 48 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next