All times are UTC + 1 hour

[ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: rrd toxic wave review
PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 5:30 pm 
Rare Poster

Hi Everyone
I finally got my rrd toxic wave board about two weeks ago from Evan at http://live2kite.com. But being in southern California it’s almost like getting a new snowboard in June. Finally got to try it out yesterday. To put the review in perspective I have been kiteboarding about five years. I ride a combination of waves and flat water. I can do kiteloops unhooked, f-16's and some unhooked tricks. Surf kiteboarding I ride a 6'2 surfboard strapless when its good. I have been surfing since I was ten and competed when I was a in my teens, now in my early 30's.

Now to the review. The wind was a bit on the light side but had about half hour of wind that you can stay up wind on. The surf was small about 1-3 foot. Wind side on shore. At first impression the board edged really well and felt food under foot. It has a twin tip feel when edging. Although there is a bit of a sense of riding off the tail but not as much as other mutants I have ridden. Going backwards was a pleasant surprise. Most mutants I have ridden can go backwards but pretty much suck. This board blew me away at how easy it rode backwards. It does feel a little different than going forward but it does not have the awkwardness of other mutants I have tried. It upwinds really well backwards. Once I got in the waves this board goes from the twin tip feel to a surfboard feel. It carves a turn just like a surfboard. You can hit the lip with a total surfboard feel. It does not have the volume of a surfboard but it still has the feel and you do not have to be fully powered to ride a wave. Like I said the wind was a bit light so I did not spend much time jumping as I was focusing on waves. The few jumps I did the board poped pretty good and had the twin tip feel on pop. This board was a true pleasure to ride. I can’t wait to get it in some real waves and real wind.

I would recommend this board to anyone living with less than perfect waves. For the conditions that we have with side on winds and sloppy surf usually in the head high or less this board seems like the way to go. I will add more to this review once I get some real wind and waves.

dave

{ SHARE_ON_FACEBOOK } { SHARE_ON_TWITTER } { SHARE_ON_ORKUT } { SHARE_ON_DIGG } { SHARE_ON_MYSPACE } { SHARE_ON_DELICIOUS }
 Post subject: Re: rrd toxic wave review
PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 12:35 pm 
Rare Poster

Hi Dave! Good short review. Could you tell me about your subsequent wave riding days in choppy crappy waves, hi wind, perfect waves, etc. ah... and how you paid for the board?

Many thanks

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 3:03 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

Hi Dave, what's your weight and also what size of kite you rode on this board ? :thumb:

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 2:21 am 
Rare Poster

I am 5'10 about 185-190. Kite mostly used is a 12m rrd hyper type 07. I have had one day on a 9m hyper type but it was a little too light for the 9 so I went back to the 12. I can see how much more fun it will be on a smaller faster kite.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 4:38 pm 
Rare Poster

ok I have now been on the toxic about 6 times now. The more I have rode the board the more I like it. Most the times have been in pretty gusty clearing winds with surf in the 5-6 foot range and side on shore winds. The board upwinds really well and handles rough water great. As mentioned in my first post the board just rips on the waves. I am super stoked on the board and would highly recomend it.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 5:57 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

what about its quality / durablity ? My weight's 200lbs.Height 6'2".I currently ride my 2008 Nobile 131x42 and 2008 Caution Trepass 5'5''

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 6:35 pm 
Rare Poster

the qulity seems to be inline with any other kiteboard. Buildwise it feels like a normal kite board. I have done some good size jumps and it feels solid. As it is a bigger board I dont think I am going to be done and powered kite loops on it. If you have seen and 3x from rrd or a 4x any of those its a similar build. it is a little thicker then those boards though which I think is just a thicker core and the glassing is probably the same as those boards. It is not a normal surfboard construction but a kiteboard one.

At 200 only 10 more then me you should have a blast on this board.

hope that makes sene

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 8:07 pm 
Rare Poster

How much did you pay for the board, and where do you recommend buying it ???

I am 170 pounds; any recommendations when riding it ?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 10:43 pm 
Rare Poster

It was a little hard to track down as there are not that many that made it to the states but the guys at live2kite had just few when I got mine.
http://www.live2kite.com/product_info.p ... cts_id=466

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 1:39 am 
Very Frequent Poster

davej wrote:
the qulity seems to be inline with any other kiteboard. Buildwise it feels like a normal kite board. I have done some good size jumps and it feels solid. As it is a bigger board I dont think I am going to be done and powered kite loops on it. If you have seen and 3x from rrd or a 4x any of those its a similar build. it is a little thicker then those boards though which I think is just a thicker core and the glassing is probably the same as those boards. It is not a normal surfboard construction but a kiteboard one.

At 200 only 10 more then me you should have a blast on this board.

hope that makes sene

It sounds good to me.. :thumb: how thickness ?? over 1 1/2 inches ?

[ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next