rrd toxic wave review

Forum for kitesurfers
davej
Rare Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: rrd toxic wave review

Postby davej » Tue Feb 26, 2008 3:38 am

not quite that thick at the thickest maybe a hair over one inch and it tapers down to about 5/8 or so. Like I said a little thicker then a regular kite board but not a surfboard.

liv2surf
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Waddell Creek, Scott Creek, Miramar-Half Moon Bay, Coyote Point, Pillar Point Harbor-HMB
Style: waves & foil
Gear: Cabrinha Drifters 7, 9, 11. Firewire Dominator surfboard (quad), no straps. SS SpacePickle adapted to foil (LF Foilfish foil), two foot hooks, front and back.
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: rrd toxic wave review (hijacked by F'one Legend lover)

Postby liv2surf » Tue Feb 26, 2008 9:56 am

I love the F'one Legend. Mine is 2007 candy-striped version. 5'4" thruster-twin directional hybrid wave board. It is rather a similar concept to the Toxic Wave from what I can tell from pictures, but I have not seen or tried one.

http://picasaweb.google.com/2kitesurf/F ... 3852792050
Last edited by liv2surf on Tue Feb 26, 2008 3:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BJkitesurf
Very Frequent Poster

Postby BJkitesurf » Tue Feb 26, 2008 3:25 pm

liv2surf wrote:I love the F'one Legend. Mine is 2007 candy-striped version. 5'4" thruster-twin directional hybrid wave board.

Cool photos...have you tried RRD Toxic Wave ? THX

liv2surf
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Waddell Creek, Scott Creek, Miramar-Half Moon Bay, Coyote Point, Pillar Point Harbor-HMB
Style: waves & foil
Gear: Cabrinha Drifters 7, 9, 11. Firewire Dominator surfboard (quad), no straps. SS SpacePickle adapted to foil (LF Foilfish foil), two foot hooks, front and back.

Postby liv2surf » Tue Feb 26, 2008 3:55 pm

BJkitesurf wrote:
liv2surf wrote:I love the F'one Legend. Mine is 2007 candy-striped version. 5'4" thruster-twin directional hybrid wave board.

Cool photos...have you tried RRD Toxic Wave ? THX
No, I have not tried the Toxic Wave, but my assumption is that it appears to be a similar concept to the Legend.

Also, these hybrid wave boards, such as the F'one Legend (and the Toxic Wave I believe) seem to be kind of frowned on by many wave kiters, but they sure work for me. In a word, they allow me to maneuver really well onto and through the waves really well, better than I can (with my current skills or even near-future potential skills) on a surfboard.
Using my F'one Legend lets me get out through waves (and chicken jibe and run quickly if I need to) and more importantly change directions to get onto incoming waves right in the sweet spot. so, while I have a few surfboards for kiting in my quiver, and am very slightly ashamed and maybe slightly persuaded to go to a surfboard (for the higher volume, more surf-like feel), I have trouble not taking out my F'one Legend because I can maneuver it so well. I am sure I have gotten 10x more fun waves because I was riding the F'one Legend than I would have without it...I just don't know for sure whether riding those waves would have been more satisfying with a full surfboard (I am exploring this with my psychiatrist :lol: ).

davej
Rare Poster

Postby davej » Tue Feb 26, 2008 5:02 pm

Your right the the hybrids are not as excepted. But who cares if your having fun thats all that counts. Also unless you live at a perfect side shore point break and live like most of us on a side on beach break that breaks all over the place and your lucky to get two turns on a wave before you have to battle ten more just to get to the outside to make your tack. These boards are perfect. You get the surfboard feel with the benafits of a normal board. I love to ride my surfboard straples too but most the time where I live its more work then fun as compared to the hybrid

BJkitesurf
Very Frequent Poster

Postby BJkitesurf » Thu Feb 28, 2008 4:57 pm

davej How much rocker ? water spread your face when go backwarding ? THX

j1finnn1
Frequent Poster

Postby j1finnn1 » Thu Feb 28, 2008 7:48 pm

Hi, Bjk. I've been out on the toxic wave, and with the straps all the way back, and was still shocked at how well the toxic rode backwards. It felt very natural and went upwind very well. A team rider and I both remarked on this.
Also, I didn't notice any severe spray (Actually no spray at all, but I'm hesitant to say any board's spray proof :) ), and our locale is wavy/choppy.
As for rocker, it's continuous, but it's not too pronounced. The low end is good, and it already comes around very quickly, so I don't think I would want any more rocker than what it has...
-Jeff

BJkitesurf
Very Frequent Poster

Postby BJkitesurf » Sun Mar 02, 2008 12:15 am

j1finnn1 wrote:Hi, Bjk. I've been out on the toxic wave, and with the straps all the way back, and was still shocked at how well the toxic rode backwards. It felt very natural and went upwind very well. A team rider and I both remarked on this.
Also, I didn't notice any severe spray (Actually no spray at all, but I'm hesitant to say any board's spray proof :) ), and our locale is wavy/choppy.
As for rocker, it's continuous, but it's not too pronounced. The low end is good, and it already comes around very quickly, so I don't think I would want any more rocker than what it has...
-Jeff
Jeff, Cool review !! I am gonna buy one THX :thumb:

mz16
Frequent Poster

Postby mz16 » Thu Apr 10, 2008 1:59 am

are there any other distributors in the US?

ANTONIO GUARDIOLA
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Figueira da Foz

Postby ANTONIO GUARDIOLA » Fri May 01, 2009 2:32 pm

Hi everyone
Just got a second hand toxic wave and already tryed it.
I'm also very impressed with the board and how god it goes backwards,
it seems to go even better than the other way.
Or is it my TT technique or stance?

I would like to tweak a bit to go better in forward position (not in the wave, it's ok in the wave, may be just a little more fin ( drive ) on the bottom turns (?))

I tryed to mimic the stance I have in my Nobile 555 ( the narrower one ), i'm 1.70m, 65 Kg
To get the same stance I had to put the pads in the clossest option possible
maybe I need to put the back foot more to the back (?)
any special technique?

I also felt it need bigger back fins ( and heard about it )
How big can it handle?
don't they start to touch the water going backwards?
Where can i find these?

I'd very much apreciate your comments
AG

Return to “Kitesurfing”