All times are UTC + 1 hour

[ 4 posts ] 
 Post subject: 2008 Eclipse Thruster 16m
PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 10:59 pm 
Frequent Poster

Had my second go on the Thruster 16m on Sunday morning. It was the best session I have had - I love this kite. :thumb:

80kg
Skywalker 130cm TT
Embarrasingly still a beginner although first started kiting in 2004. In the past 18 months have been out a total of 3-5 times. Prior to that - every now and then.

Onshore winds in the low teens (knots)
Checked the one pump - all the cable ties intact.
One pump - sweet - saves a lot of time.
Self launching is easy and the conditions I have used it allow for it - plenty of space and a nice sandy beach.

Very stable - able to get my feet into my board straps easily and not worry about the kite.
Got up and started riding - was able to edge well and push out the bar when I was speeding up.
Could not do this before with my C kite and my old floaty beginners board - would speed up and lose control.

Was able to have my longest run ever - must have been either going up wind or just holding ground as the winds were onshore/slight cross shore.

Was able to water relaunch well most times but had difficulty water relaunching when the kite was directly downwind and leading edge down. Looking at the Eclipse website video last night I suspect I may have had the bar the wrong way. :oops: I think I may have done this as my reflex reaction would be have the lines so they are not crossed.
The wind had dropped at this time also.

I will practice this and also the self landing - I am not consistent with the self landing yet - forgot to unhook and was unable to land it neatly. Have done this neatly before.

This kite is built real tough - heaps of reinforcement in the high wear areas.
The wave design looks great and is actually stitched into the canopy.
Attention to detail in everything
The quick release on the bar is great - I have activated it and practised this - I feel confident that it will release quickly if I ever get into trouble. The release on the leash also works well - it will release easily only when you want it to.

This is a beginner friendly kite, I feel excited that I will be able to improve and eventually jump intentionally - just need to get out there and ride with it more often.

{ SHARE_ON_FACEBOOK } { SHARE_ON_TWITTER } { SHARE_ON_ORKUT } { SHARE_ON_DIGG } { SHARE_ON_MYSPACE } { SHARE_ON_DELICIOUS }
 Post subject: Re: 2008 Eclipse Thruster 16m
PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 1:48 am 
Frequent Poster

I had the 2007 but I should be getting the 08 here shortly and I cant wait.

when you went to the site did you go to the 56k or Cable/DSL version?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 1:50 am 
Very Frequent Poster

great review - a lot of advanced reviews focus on how fast it loops and ... but beginner perspectives are very valuable to other beginners.

I just got one myself but the wind has been so strong it's still un-used. But by summer it will get a lot of use and I'll post too...

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 9:26 am 
Frequent Poster

mrliquid wrote:
I had the 2007 but I should be getting the 08 here shortly and I cant wait.

when you went to the site did you go to the 56k or Cable/DSL version?

I originally went the DSL version which looks great btw, but was unable to open the video from there - perhaps my connection speed is not quick enough.

I used the dialup site to watch it easily enough. The more times I watch it I realise how easy it looks to relaunch - I must have had the bar the wrong way - hopefully I will be able to test the technique again this weekend.

[ 4 posts ]