Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

ocean rodeo mako wide - anyone bought one yet?

Forum for kitesurfers
EvanOR
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Location: California, US Sales Ocean Rodeo Kiteboarding/Hyperflex Wetsuits
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: ocean rodeo mako wide - anyone bought one yet?

Postby EvanOR » Tue Apr 08, 2008 7:37 pm

ronnie wrote:If they are not readily available, I do not see that as my problem. As you say there are plenty of good competitors.
Airush Hammer, RRD Venom etc.
Sorry, but I don't see how I either implied or stated that it was your problem. They are readily available now. I personally don't have anything to do with the UK market, so I can't comment on which dealers have ordered them. If you want to know, please PM me and I'll put you in touch with the appropriate person.

Yes, there are other great boards out there, but none are comparable to the Mako. It is the only board on the market that is designed and rides the way that it does. I hope you're patient and you end up riding one!

Cheers,

Evan

Ocean Rodeo

Choose Performance over Hype

s29feb
Frequent Poster

Postby s29feb » Tue Apr 08, 2008 8:00 pm

Evan,

I have been trying to chase up a demo ik the UK (Troon Scotland) for a while and actually emailed John Z about it. I think this board could be ideal for my local conditions, but so would the Hammer and I can get one of them very easily to demo.

It is a shame OR stuff is like the proverbial rocking horse shit in the UK and really hard to come by - I was really close to just buying a Mako Wide but could not have it delivered in time fro my trip via dealer. Now that I'm back from trip I have my sensible head on and would really like to try the board first.

You need some UK presence (or maybe you don't as you seem to be doing great with the Mako - congrats) as I think the choppy wind blown mush a lot of us get could be perfect for this board.

On John's suggestion I have tried your forum to see if there are any UK Mako heads out there.

Laters

ed257
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ed257 » Wed Apr 09, 2008 3:43 am

Exactly how much rocker does the wide mako have?

Perhaps the easiest way to get the number is to put the board on a flat surface and measure the distance from the floor to the inside of the tip.

If it has less than the narrow mako, does that not make it catchy in the tips in choppy or wavy conditions?

Ed

EvanOR
Very Frequent Poster
Location: California, US Sales Ocean Rodeo Kiteboarding/Hyperflex Wetsuits

Postby EvanOR » Wed Apr 09, 2008 4:21 am

ed257 wrote:Exactly how much rocker does the wide mako have?

Perhaps the easiest way to get the number is to put the board on a flat surface and measure the distance from the floor to the inside of the tip.

If it has less than the narrow mako, does that not make it catchy in the tips in choppy or wavy conditions?

Ed
Hi Ed, you've been trying to grind Mako specs out of us for years..... :D we don't advertise them for a reason :rollgrin: . I can assure you though that you can blast through chop or surf with the same confidence that you can with your 150x34. There's an entire Crew riding Crissy in 20-30+ several days a week, on everything from 6m's to 14's, in what is sometimes brutal chop. The Wide is WAY more forgiving than the skinny and turns everything into butter....and you are not gong to stuff the nose!

Cheers,

Evan

Ocean Rodeo

Choose Performance over Hype

papasmerf
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2002
Weight: 195
Local Beach: west coast
Style: lawn mower
Gear: Slingshot, North, moses, flysurfers, some ozone again, and 17 years of accumulated kite stuff
Brand Affiliation: I like slingshot and north. good folks

Postby papasmerf » Wed Apr 09, 2008 6:41 am

i've been shocked about how unstuffable the tip is. it has saved my bacon a few times now. i was actually cringing a few times today as i've been sort of used to my nobile 666 and i could feel a nose dive coming, but then when absolutely nothing happened, i realized i was on my mako wide. i said "thank you, thank you, thank you,,,!!!" water was cold today.

on a few landings, i sort of felt like i was almost putting the tip in the water first and it still worked perfect. i know i would have been toast with a flat rocker board

all i know is:

face spray is gone.
i never crash anymore due to the tip stuffing or getting lazy.
i don't have 90% of my weight on my back leg anymore trying to keep the front tip up
i go upwind effortlessly
i feel so much more in control
my knees feel great
i carve like a surf god

i freakin' love this board!!!!!

ronnie
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ronnie » Wed Apr 09, 2008 9:57 am

I dont think I should have to chase retailers in the UK to get them to stock the board. I do think you need to get a couple of the larger retailers who stock your kites to stock some of your boards too.

As Feb29 says, the UK could be a good market for that type of board.

The reports I have read so far are just too enthusiastic about the board and resemble the reports from those connected to Ocean Rodeo. I do know someone with the 150 by 34, so I will go by what he says. If the wide is as good as you say, you are losing potential sales in the UK due to lack of availability.

Benjamin_vine
Medium Poster
Brand Affiliation: Ocean Rodeo Dealer

Postby Benjamin_vine » Wed Apr 09, 2008 11:18 am

ronnie wrote:I dont think I should have to chase retailers in the UK to get them to stock the board. I do think you need to get a couple of the larger retailers who stock your kites to stock some of your boards too.

As Feb29 says, the UK could be a good market for that type of board.

The reports I have read so far are just too enthusiastic about the board and resemble the reports from those connected to Ocean Rodeo. I do know someone with the 150 by 34, so I will go by what he says. If the wide is as good as you say, you are losing potential sales in the UK due to lack of availability.
ronnie/s29feb

I agree with you about the Mako wide ofr UK conditions, I dont personally knwo of anyone with one in the UK yet though however. Please drop an email to Richard Thompson on richard@seabreezebreaks.com

If anyone in the UK is going to have one it would be him as I know he loved the original mako. If not he may be able to get a demo for you at some point!

OR are in the process of stocking out a European warehouse that will be fully stocked thus allowing OR gear to be available on a few day turnaround!

Hope this helps mate, if not let us know and I will have a word with the man upstairs.

Ben Vine

ronnie
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ronnie » Wed Apr 09, 2008 11:54 am

Thanks for the reply Ben. A Euro Distribution point is a good idea. I still haven't seen a price for the Wide in the UK?

I have an OR Session harness which is a well made and well designed bit of kit, and I like the way OR offer something different. Pimping does not impress me. I try to identify unbiased opinion from someone who bought the stuff and liked it and didn't like it. There are not too many boards that do not have a downside.

Benjamin_vine
Medium Poster
Brand Affiliation: Ocean Rodeo Dealer

Postby Benjamin_vine » Wed Apr 09, 2008 1:38 pm

Well I too have a session and fully agree with your comments on it, I have The pyro Surf and Diablo kites too but as far as views on the mako boards go, I can only refer you to other peoples comments I am afraid. (shouldnt be hard to find them though)!

From what I read its amazing but I would always have to try summat before committing.

If emailing Richard Thompson on my first posts email address brings no joy let me know via benjamin_vine@yahoo.com and I will have a word re somehow getting a demo.

OR has some pretty amazing "out there" innovations admitted but they seem to work pretty well, It should be well worth the wait.

Ben

s29feb
Frequent Poster

Postby s29feb » Wed Apr 09, 2008 5:04 pm

I have chased my local OR distibutor but to no avail and I think they might not be nt he business anymore as website is down and emails bounce back so :?:

A few of the sites linked to on the OR site do not have great site and those with OR stuff do not have Mako Wide. I have tried OR direct also so will have to wait and see but I believe the potential for this board is there - it just need some UK water time?

I really need to try my next/additional board as the Shinn I have is pretty sweet.... plus I need to justify my buy to she who must be obeyed :oops:

Return to “Kitesurfing”