Forum for kitesurfers
dakitemon
Rare Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Airush Generator tuning

Postby dakitemon » Tue Mar 04, 2008 11:41 pm

Hi

I have been riding a Airush Generator in 12-17 M.P.H. winds on a pully bar. I weight
155 l.b.s and ride a 6'0' Webber Surftech. When I tune the kite so that it handles well on a wave,
(no back stalling or hesitating and or stalling when initiating a hard turn with the kite) it has very little power in these conditions. It seems the guys on 9.0 bows twin tips have quite a bit more jucie then me. Is this what other riding this kite have found. It seems that the kite has to be moving all the time to generate any pull

Thanks
Eric

simonm
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sahara
Favorite Beaches: Invercargill
Style: Mod
Gear: I always wanted a pony
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Airush Generator tuning

Postby simonm » Wed Mar 05, 2008 12:56 am

I guess the first thing is what size are you using? Also, what sized bar and what length lines are you using?

The Generator is a kite that does require pretty attentive user input. Kites that sit further back in the window allow the rider to sit back a bit more and let the kite pull you along, however the down side is that they get bogged down when trying to throw the kite around on the wave. The Generator is a fast kite that flies forward in the window. This means that it is great for generating power through turns and works well when throwing it around on the wave, however when slogging it out on the flats you will need to work the kite a bit harder. This will be particularly noticable if you use a pulley bar that has no sheeting capacity and ride as small a kite as possible. Basically, instead of riding a big kite that you sheet in and out to control the power, you are riding a small kite that requires working to control/generate power.

If you are riding fixed, there is not much tuning that can be done except lengthening or shortening the front or rear lines. Personally, I like to set the kite up so that in 12-15 knots I can steer the kite down to the edge of the window then steadily give it a lift back up to the apex. I will usually initially tune the kite so that it backstalls when I to this then gradually shorten the front lines until the back stalling is just eliminated. This is about spot on for me for riding the 7.5 in those kind of wind conditions. With the 7.5 in light wind, I will be sining the kite most of the time. Whilst this might look pretty laborious to bystanders, you will find that it is pretty easy going once you get your timing right. The fixed bar will let you ride one handed and when working the kite anyhow. Still, when riding in 12-15, there is noone who is out powered on a 9m kite with a twin tip. Usually, most others will be riding 12m+ sized kites in these conditions. I guess it does sound like the kite could have a bit more back line tension from that perspective.

dakitemon
Rare Poster

Re: Airush Generator tuning

Postby dakitemon » Wed Mar 05, 2008 1:35 am

Simon, thanks for your input

It is a 7.5 Generator on 23m lines

Eric

Return to “Kitesurfing”