Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Eclipse Thruster 12 mtr Tested

Forum for kitesurfers
prayfawind27
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Blu hill, Coral harbour(in front of the little key) Go Slow, Club Med
Favorite Beaches: kite beach Cabarete , Crondon Park Miami
Style: Free style
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Eclipse Thruster 12 mtr Tested

Postby prayfawind27 » Sat Mar 29, 2008 5:33 pm

CameraGuy wrote:yo pray

what are you saying the 2008 16 thruster is a regret??
this kite has given me more great days then any other piece of gear i own.
I'm glad for you , I had nothing but problems with that kite, for starts no power,i rode that kite in over 20 knots (170lbs) and still couldn't get any power i've played around
with different knots positioning, kept the kite moving like the Eclipse guys advised,but nothing, I recently moved the front knot to the bottom knot for some strange reason it wouldn't steer properly.
had some quick release problems got a fix from a Eclipse rep, Now the one pump zip ties are coming off if the kite hits the water,WTF!! i've only rode that kite in total of 5 times and having this much problems. I'm really disappointed but the my kite crew say keep trying with different knot configurations . How do you have your kite configured?

windmaker
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: .
Style: Strapless surf and foil
Gear: F-One & Aeros kites/ HB surf/ Taaroa foil/ Manera

Postby windmaker » Sat Mar 29, 2008 7:10 pm

Although the kite should have been properly trimed out of the box, you now need to get a competent kitesurfer help you trim your kite properly. Too much or not enough back line tension can kill the power on any kite.
I only use surfboards and start using my 8m at 18knots so you must be doing something wrong...

kitenb
Frequent Poster

Postby kitenb » Sat Mar 29, 2008 7:31 pm

Pray,
You definitely have something setup wrong with that kite. I weigh 170lbs and the 14m Thruster is the biggest kite I ride...lots of power for me at 15 knots on the 14m. If it is blowing 20knots, I am on my 12m Thruster and fully powered. Like the last poster said, it should have been trimmed right from the start, but maybe it isn't now? Either way, what I do to check it out, is get the kite directly above you, pull in the bar all the way(full power). If the kite wants to back stall a little, pull in the depower strap. I set it right where it wont' back stall anymore. I have added an extra knot on all my kites on the backline attachment point, about 2 cm's closer to the kite. Also, make sure your outside lines on your bar are setup on the middle knot. At least, that is what worked for me to get the most power out of my kites.

prayfawind27
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Blu hill, Coral harbour(in front of the little key) Go Slow, Club Med

Postby prayfawind27 » Sat Mar 29, 2008 7:35 pm

windmaker wrote:Although the kite should have been properly trimed out of the box, you now need to get a competent kitesurfer help you trim your kite properly. Too much or not enough back line tension can kill the power on any kite.
I only use surfboards and start using my 8m at 18knots so you must be doing something wrong...
I got your competent right here, i've been in the game for over 5 years, IKO certified and ran a school for over a year, I'm not the only rider here that's having the same problem a friend bought a quiver of 08 Eclipse hated them and bought a quiver of Best, I don't have the luxury he does with the money. Another rider have the 08 9 nano and he's thinking bout selling that, i've played around with all the knots combination, My next hope is to add another knot to the back lines.

Larse
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Lynæs , DK
http://www.KiteboardingExercises.com
Favorite Beaches: Poppelvej, DK
http://www.KiteboardingExercises.com
Style: Wakestyle/freestyle
Gear: LF Nirvana, Envy, LF DLX and LF LFX
Brand Affiliation: Liquid Force and http://www.KiteboardingExercises.com

Postby Larse » Sat Mar 29, 2008 7:54 pm

prayfawind27 wrote:
windmaker wrote: My next hope is to add another knot to the back lines.
And that is all you need to do...

prayfawind27
Very Frequent Poster

Postby prayfawind27 » Sat Mar 29, 2008 8:05 pm

Larse wrote:
prayfawind27 wrote:
windmaker wrote: My next hope is to add another knot to the back lines.
And that is all you need to do...

I'm keeping my fingers cross, i've done all the knots combination already

kitenb
Frequent Poster

Postby kitenb » Sun Mar 30, 2008 2:05 am

Pray,
add the extra knot to the back lines on the kite. Also, check which knot your outside line on your bar is at. It is probably set on the far outside line(closest to the kite). Change that to the middle knot. I did that for all my kites and it seems to work great.
good luck,

windmaker
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: .
Style: Strapless surf and foil
Gear: F-One & Aeros kites/ HB surf/ Taaroa foil/ Manera

Postby windmaker » Sun Mar 30, 2008 6:52 am

prayfawind27 wrote:
windmaker wrote:Although the kite should have been properly trimed out of the box, you now need to get a competent kitesurfer help you trim your kite properly. Too much or not enough back line tension can kill the power on any kite.
I got your competent right here, i've been in the game for over 5 years, IKO certified and ran a school for over a year, I'm not the only rider here that's having the same problem a friend bought a quiver of 08 Eclipse hated them and bought a quiver of Best, I don't have the luxury he does with the money. Another rider have the 08 9 nano and he's thinking bout selling that, i've played around with all the knots combination, My next hope is to add another knot to the back lines.
No offense Pray, but the problem you are encountering should be an easy fix for someone of your competence and not even worth a post. For sure the 16m Thruster is not a power house of a kite for it's size compared to some other brands but seriously, no power in 20 knots...
Why don't you check it out with your dealer ? There might be something wrong with that particular kite.

prayfawind27
Very Frequent Poster

Postby prayfawind27 » Sun Mar 30, 2008 12:27 pm

windmaker wrote:
prayfawind27 wrote:
No offense Pray, but the problem you are encountering should be an easy fix for someone of your competence and not even worth a post. For sure the 16m Thruster is not a power house of a kite for it's size compared to some other brands but seriously, no power in 20 knots...
Why don't you check it out with your dealer ? There might be something wrong with that particular kite.
Why is it that so much people have to fine tune there Eclipse kites,put this knot here, tire that knot there, In my 5 plus years of riding i've never seen this shit before, If you read other post about other kites you don't see people talking and asking where to put there knots or how to fine tune there brand new shit. The last time i had to do this much fine tuning was with my C kite
back in 04 putting more depower in my 16m so i could ride it in over 20 knots. I know it's not the kite i just have to find the right knot combination, going to follow the advice from this post and
do some mods and get this bitch to bow down.
thanks everyone for there input. :thumb:

RAL INN
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sandy Point
Favorite Beaches: Pt Danger, Torquay, Aust.
Sandy point, Aust.
Nananu-i-ra, Fiji.
Style: freeride/waves
Gear: Zeeko Krush 12m, 9m, Notus3 10m.
Bhoot130x 39 TT, Zeeko Slash surfboard
Brand Affiliation: Naish, Zeeko.
Location: Victoria, Australia./instr+retailer www.krakentours.com

Postby RAL INN » Sun Mar 30, 2008 10:35 pm

I like this term "out of the Box".

the kites don't come with the bar lines and kite all attached.
So it's pretty much upto the user to pick the connection points if there is a choice.
With the 08 Eclipse's, all models and all sizes work best using 3rd knot on kite and 2nd knot on bar leader lines, also using the extra bit of depower rope line helps.

Pray! you need to make contact with some eclipse kiters and meet up and get some brainstorming advice.
either that or send me the airline ticket, accom, and meals etc. and I will come and get you sorted :naughty:

Return to “Kitesurfing”