Forum for kitesurfers
robertovillate
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: pulley maintenance tool?

Postby robertovillate » Tue Apr 15, 2008 5:22 pm

OzBungy wrote:I have no trouble with the pinch and twist method.

What I would like is to have coloured stripes or a pattern on the pulley so you can see it move when you test it.
I mark the pulleys with a permanent marker, small dots spaced apart, so I can see the shieve turning.

Also, I usually knock the pulley against my harness hook to knock the majority of sand out and then "pinch and turn" until the pulley is cleared. After connecting I lay the pulley on the kite canopy to minimize exposure to sand, but it's virtually impossible to eliminate all sand.

Sand particles come in all sizes and shapes - it would be almost a miracle to design something that was "sand proof".

For now perhaps the best thing to do - be religious about checking pulleys and bridle wear.

PS.. ball bearing pulleys are probably more of a problem with sand, plus good quality pulleys with bearings are pretty expensive.
Last edited by robertovillate on Wed Apr 16, 2008 12:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mug
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Carkeek park
Style: cruise

Postby Mug » Tue Apr 15, 2008 7:05 pm

For some reason, most manufacturers but the right version on the bar and the left version at the kite.
I think that has to do with the fact that the kite has more of a chance for the pulleys to get sand in them, and if those with the ball-bearings get sand in them they will be nearly impossible to clean. Unlike the ones on the bar which are less critical, and you're more likely to know if those are frozen.

kitezilla
Very Frequent Poster

Postby kitezilla » Tue Apr 15, 2008 7:45 pm

Sloberdog,

I like the idea you presented with the velcro. I would like to see that covering concept carried to an even higher level. You got me thinking.

I wonder when some clever manufacturer will make a kite with a little "Pulley Pocket" which could serve the following purpose:

(1) storing the pulley and keeping it clean
(2) securing the pulley and bridle lines in preparation to folding up the kite
(3) restraining the bridle lines from flipping around the wingtip while folding and unfolding the kite

Sloberdog
Medium Poster

Postby Sloberdog » Wed Apr 16, 2008 3:09 am

I agree with you kitezilla. Rolling the kite up on the sand at the end of a session is a major cause for getting the pulleys stuck. Low profile and out of the way pockets on a kite would be great to stash and protect the the bridal pulleys, but what about the pulleys attached to the kite canopy? I thought about somehow permanently mounting the Velcro covers, but I'm afraid that one day they might slide down and jam up the pulley while I'm flying. :nono: I had seawead stuck in one..and that put me in a kitemare situation..don't want to repeat that again.

Is there a reason other than a few $$ that the pulleys that toddjb123 recommends are not being used as standard equipment? I assume they are made of SS.

lieutenantglorp
Medium Poster
Gear: Any

Postby lieutenantglorp » Wed Apr 16, 2008 3:43 am

Sloberdog wrote: Is there a reason other than a few $$ that the pulleys that toddjb123 recommends are not being used as standard equipment? I assume they are made of SS.
I think anything metal up there is prob not a good idea.

CaptainArgh
Very Frequent Poster
Style: freeride, surf, slicks, dwindr exploring
Gear: SS RPM 6, SST 8/10 and Rally 12

Postby CaptainArgh » Wed Apr 16, 2008 4:29 am

FWIW, I've had those on my kite for most of a season and they still look like new (if you were concerned about rust) and there are no obvious sharp edges (if you were concerned about that). I think they are mainly not there by default due to cost. It is a ball bearing swivel with more parts that costs more to produce. I have seen these pulleys on some production kites, but I forget which brand.

The cover idea, while interesting, seems like more work than you need to do. Most people are trying to speed up the set-up/break-down process. Why make this take longer by putting little condoms on your pulleys? I hear the reason, just seems overcomplicated.

That said, the new Slingshot T3 comes with covers for the pulleys. Well, I think they are for the pulleys...they come covering the knot that connects the pulleys to the kite. So they could be there to protect the pulley from smacking against the LE, I really don't know. But, in one of the directions it says to slide over the pulley. Whatever the case, here are pictures of them covering the pulley and off one of the pulley uncovered when I was moving a line around;

Sorry to come down on the pulley condom idea. I just prefer low maintenance solutions. For me, replacing the pulleys was the choice over having to free them each time I rode or work on a way to shield them from the sand. All good ideas, though. That's what's great about the forum. Many different ways of looking at the same problem! :thumb:

Return to “Kitesurfing”