Forum for kitesurfers
blowhard
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: I joined the generator death cult the other day

Postby blowhard » Sat Nov 15, 2008 9:45 pm

tungsten222 wrote:Ok so here's my take on the bar. It's a depowerable pulley bar à la Seano, with an original 45cm home grown hardwood bar. Instead of a hole it has a 18cm slot as you see. This allows to grab the bar with one hand in the middle when flying in normal "unhooked fixed" mode, and you can also mimick a pulley bar without the pulley setup (something like a free bar with the depower line still running through the bar). When you let go of the bar, just before arm length, the CL will kick in and you depower. Front line safety for launch / landing, sucide mode to CL for sailing.
That's an awesome set-up I 've wondered about something like that before.
Is the metal out of reach of your face?

tungsten222

Postby tungsten222 » Sat Nov 15, 2008 10:02 pm

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit. Sed in urna et enim porttitor ullamcorper ac non ipsum. Proin eleifend orci quis ligula convallis et viverra metus porta. Fusce commodo eros ut sapien euismod venenatis. Proin suscipit auctor laoreet. Phasellus scelerisque viverra nisi eu malesuada. Etiam malesuada tellus non neque fermentum at molestie mi condimentum. Vestibulum gravida enim sit amet nisi mattis pulvinar. Suspendisse hendrerit ipsum id neque sodales ut tincidunt felis dignissim. Suspendisse potenti.
Last edited by tungsten222 on Mon Feb 01, 2010 10:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jjjlaudenslager
Medium Poster
Local Beach: none any more
Favorite Beaches: South Padre Island
Style: kitesurfing
Gear: Naish Ride 8m
many various boards

Postby jjjlaudenslager » Sat Dec 06, 2008 3:14 am

I didn't think Hein could use his 5, 7 and 9m kites on his fixed bars, unhooked, in our short interval waves, and side on winds, and look good. Well, he could.

He was slashing waves on his 9m Fuel and 5'10" broad tailed quadfin surfboard when nobody else was on less than a 12m. Except after he went by I went out on my 9m Eclipse Nano with a regular chickenloop bar, unhooked as much as I could, and a 5'10" twinfin. Although we both weigh about 150# I tea bagged and generally struggled.

Another day when I didn't go out because of lack of wind, and the boys and girls on the lagoon were waving big, slow kites, I saw him do a quick, kite looping flatwater downwinder with a 7m Reactor or Generator, riding a sort of wakeskate.

Another day he was out in the surf on the wakeskate with a 5m Reactor/Generator.

Hey, if he can do it, with a little change in equipment and work we ...............

hein
Very Frequent Poster

Postby hein » Sat Dec 06, 2008 3:57 am

Thank you very much for the compliments. For the record I was on a 2005 9M Fuel in the surf and a 2006 7M Reactor in the flat water. I even surprised myself with the ability to ride so lightly powered. No way I could have stayed upwind during either session, however. I had much more fun on the days that followed when I was on a 5.5 Generator or a 2005 5M Fuel and my magic 6-0 in the surf. I did also do an early down winder on the skate with the 5.5 before the waves built up. Yes, Padre can get great surf but you have to time the sessions with the most favorable tide and wind. Quite a treat to be riding with a pod of surf jumping dolphins as well.

blowhard
Very Frequent Poster

Postby blowhard » Sat Dec 06, 2008 5:37 pm

You OWN a nine?
jezzus
:lol:
now I'm all screwed up
my 7.0 will be jealous
but it loves being the underdog :cool2:

STORMBIRD
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Kite Beach Maui
Favorite Beaches: kite beach Maui, Isle of Palms South Carolina, South Padre Island Texas, Punta San Carlos Baja Mexico., pak nam pran Thailand...and a secret spot!
Style: kiteloops, unhooked,wavenostraps
Gear: North Vegas,Eclipse Thruster kites, 2007 naish thorn board or strapless surfboard
Brand Affiliation: None, mutt quiver and duct tape

Postby STORMBIRD » Sun Dec 07, 2008 9:41 am

I can't believe that you losers are still riding those crappy, slow turning C kites......with all that bar pressure. :dumbo: I only fly mine when it's blowing Kona and I might have to ditch the thing.....I think that I would rather fly my Flexi blade 2 liner!

switch313
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: none i travel.
Favorite Beaches: el medano, sotovento, pounta beach greece, , portland uk, some dominican spots, anywhere flat
Style: wakestyle, power,big air sometimes
Gear: c kites
Brand Affiliation: not really

Postby switch313 » Sun Dec 07, 2008 10:23 am

what are you talking about? bar pressure might be heavier but at least you know where the kite is without looking and its direct steering. the point of slow turning being power through turns and loops...its exactly what i want i guenuinely dislike any kite that has bridles and a swept back leading edge profile..........thats just me though

Kevin Salter
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Wave
Gear: 09 Eclipse Kima's, Surfboard
Brand Affiliation: None ride what I like

Postby Kevin Salter » Fri Jan 02, 2009 9:31 pm

It turns out that seano was prophetic !!

The generator as we know it will cease to exist ! the cult is dead !
Rumor has it that the designer along with the leader of the cult have departed from Airush, and that generators as we know them will be no more. :(

Devotees are already scouring the world for any remaining stock .

A rehab clinic will be set up to help during the cold turkey stage of withdrawal , and to help with initial allergic reactions caused by having to move to another type of kite :( :( :cry:

My sincere condolences to those effected by the tragic death of the generator.

I don't know whether to :lol: or :cry:

:cool2:
Last edited by Kevin Salter on Fri Jan 02, 2009 10:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mickywoosh
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Hayling
Style: wave
Gear: Airush, custom

Postby mickywoosh » Sat Jan 03, 2009 11:30 am

Not the right section I know, but given the scarcity to be forgiven, if any of you guys are looking for '08 Generator's, I have a 9.5m2 and 7.5m2 for sale in the UK. Given the state of the good old British pound they would be a very good deal for someone.Hardly used and complete.

Give me a PM if interested

PeterP
Medium Poster
Gear: Airush
Brand Affiliation: Sales Manager Airush Kiteboarding

Postby PeterP » Sat Jan 03, 2009 7:34 pm

"Rumor has it that the designer along with the leader of the cult have departed from Airush, and that generators as we know them will be no more".

Not so sure about that one - Felix has left, that is correct, but the designers are still very much with Airush and with Gisela and Tom aiming for the top I reckon the Generator will be around a good while longer.

The Generator has proven itself as the preffered kite for unhooked wave-riders who prefer to use smallest possible kite - Tom Herbert has proven that this concept also translates very well to freestyle with some solid top 5 placings in last years PKRA. With Gisela back in the Airush Team the Generator will be a top contender for a world title in 09'.........

So if you like the simplest no-nonsense forward flying kite on the market - despair not!

Return to “Kitesurfing”