Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Tips and Tricks to Repair Kites - add your experience!

Here you can exchange your experience and datas about your home build boards
Gigi;)
Very Frequent Poster

Re: Tips and Tricks to Repair Kites - add your experience!

Postby Gigi;) » Sun Apr 23, 2017 6:05 am

http://drtuba.eu/kite-bladders-valves/r ... ders/naish

We did a lot of mods you are asking about, pls write us on info (at) drtuba (dot) eu and we will give you the quote for bladders w/o octopus valves,

:thumb: :bye:
maoz wrote:
Sat Apr 22, 2017 5:41 pm
Hi, I wish to replace bladder on Naish Helix 10m 2010 and park 9m 2011, I want to replace all the bladder system with not "one pump system" (I don't like the Naish octopus system)
does anyone know wich bladders can fit, and where can I find it with reasonable price?
thanks!

stephk
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Oka, Quebec
Lachine, Quebec
Valois bay, Quebec
Pointe-Claire, Quebec
Venise en Quebec, Quebec
Favorite Beaches: Cape Cod
Waquoit bay, Cape Cod
Cape Hatteras, NC
Style: freeride
Gear: Epic, Cabrinha, Kiteaid
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby stephk » Mon Apr 24, 2017 3:07 pm

maoz wrote:
Sat Apr 22, 2017 5:41 pm
Hi, I wish to replace bladder on Naish Helix 10m 2010 and park 9m 2011, I want to replace all the bladder system with not "one pump system" (I don't like the Naish octopus system)
does anyone know wich bladders can fit, and where can I find it with reasonable price?
thanks!
Why do you have to change the whole bladder set? Could you not just change the valves to a universal one-pump system with this type of system?
Seems like a waste of money to replace the bladder material when it is just the valves that needs to be changed...
Of course repair centers would love to charge you lots of $$$$ to make you a custom bladder set. I am sure this is something you could handle doing yourself with common available valves on the market:
https://www.kiteaid.com/collections/bla ... ve-repairs

Gigi;)
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Gigi;) » Mon Apr 24, 2017 6:36 pm

The original question was to replace the bladders and get new ones without Octopus valves, not fixing them.

But if you have the skills to modify originals by yourself then please read ahead - I will provide you how to with minimum costs, suggest you the products you will need and provide you DIY vs. NEW pros and cons, and not just point you to a whole bunch of products you don't need.

LE

S1. Remove it from your kite
S2. Cut off male octupus valves nicely
S3. Patch the holes with bladder tape
S4. Install it back into the kite correctly

Strut
S1. Expose the nose out from the stut zipper
S2. Close the female valve with a standard deflate valve cap
S3. Insert strut back into the kite correctly

Pump and Go KITE!!

Tools you will need:

- scissors
- alco swabs (2pcs included with our bladder patches)

Products you will need:

- 1x monster bladder patch - you should get 8pcs of diam. 7.5cm patches out of it (http://drtuba.eu/all-kite-products/repa ... sive-tapes)
- 1x TPU patch film to protect adhesive to stick to other side of the bladder, TPU will ensure long term adhesivity compared to PE or PP patches (http://drtuba.eu/all-kite-products/repa ... film-patch)

Bladder removal/insertion how to:

Pros DIY:
- DIY will come initially cheaper if you know how to do it
- new experience

Cons DIY:
- if you mess something the bladders may leak and you may buy new ones eventually
- inflate/deflate valves will leak heavily when you will put out the pump hose from them, making them soft before you close them (Naish is known for thin struts)
- you need to find 8pcs of deflate caps to close female valves (if you will cut them out you won't be able to seal the holes. but if you will really want to DIY then we can provide you those caps)
- 9mm valves very prone to delaminate on old bladders

Pros NEW:
- new bladders made from our exclusive high quality TPU
- all 9mm valves can be ball mouted - much easier and safe inflation
- long term performance
- affordable pricing for bladders w/o one pump valves installed (email contact us)
- no mess, just install them and go kite!

Cons NEW:
- except greater initial price tag I really can't remember anything else

Cons BOTH:
- not one pump anymore

If you want one pump on them on DIY:

S1. cut hole near the struts on LE
S2. mount some one pump valves on the LE (like this one - http://drtuba.eu/kite-bladders-valves/s ... s-i-insert)
S3. Get inserts for 9mm valves like these - http://drtuba.eu/all-kite-products/repa ... mp-inserts
S4. Get yourself some hose to connect them (http://drtuba.eu/all-kite-products/repa ... ement-sets)

If you want one pump on NEW:
S1. get custom made bladders and all parts for your needs (again we do all kinds of custom solutions)

The one thing I'd be very carefull if you will cut the LE to make one pump holes - be sure to reinforce and stitch around them otherwise the kite can explode there.

:bye: :thumb: :idea:

stephk
Medium Poster
Lachine, Quebec
Valois bay, Quebec
Pointe-Claire, Quebec
Venise en Quebec, Quebec
Waquoit bay, Cape Cod
Cape Hatteras, NC

Postby stephk » Mon Apr 24, 2017 6:56 pm

Gigi,
This does not make sense:
LE

Strut

What happens to the hole you have in the dacron of your LE? You can't just patch the bladder where the old LE strut valves were located and you are done for the LE. The bladder once inflated will explode where you have the opening in the dacron!

Also, I was not just pointing Maoz to random products on the website. All he needs are stick-on Valves and a Tube and Clamp kit.
I am confident that he could do this himself. Where he gets the parts depends on where he lives and how much customs/duty he is ready to pay.

Gigi;)
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Gigi;) » Tue Apr 25, 2017 5:37 am

Obviously you don't know how Naish internal octopus system looks like and what "else" is needed to convert them to external one pump system. It's not an easy task and that additional holes needed can be dangerous to the LE if not made correctly. You can not just switch the valves as you're suggesting.

If someone will actually DIY this and is worried about the remaining hole inside the octopus strut then he can patch it up with some dacron tape (http://drtuba.eu/all-kite-products/repa ... esive-tape), if he is not trusting that the remaining valve and double TPU there will make enough seal of it when the strut is pumped.

@Maoz - if you need parts we have retailers in Israel, feel free to contact them (http://drtuba.eu/Retailers/)

stephk wrote:
Mon Apr 24, 2017 6:56 pm
Gigi,
This does not make sense:
LE

Strut

What happens to the hole you have in the dacron of your LE? You can't just patch the bladder where the old LE strut valves were located and you are done for the LE. The bladder once inflated will explode where you have the opening in the dacron!

Also, I was not just pointing Maoz to random products on the website. All he needs are stick-on Valves and a Tube and Clamp kit.
I am confident that he could do this himself. Where he gets the parts depends on where he lives and how much customs/duty he is ready to pay.
Last edited by Gigi;) on Tue Apr 25, 2017 1:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

stephk
Medium Poster
Lachine, Quebec
Valois bay, Quebec
Pointe-Claire, Quebec
Venise en Quebec, Quebec
Waquoit bay, Cape Cod
Cape Hatteras, NC

Postby stephk » Tue Apr 25, 2017 1:17 pm

@Maoz
This is what you have right?
https://youtu.be/YWLT3yuDL6o

NorthernKitesAus
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Altona Beach, Melbourne
Pallarenda Beach, Townsville
Favorite Beaches: Altona Beach
Torquay
Bells
Winki Pop
Bushland Beach
Pallarenda & The Strand
Cocos Islands
Fiji
Bali
Style: Freestyle
Gear: Flysurfer Speed3 dlx 15m
PANSH Aurora 12m
Naish SLE Boxer 15m
RRD Type 9 12m
Peter Lynn WF 5.6m
Fluid ATV 10m
Slingshot 9m
Slingshot Fluid 13m
Naish Boxer 12m
GlobeKites 12m
Naish Cult 13.5m
Naish Helix 12m

MBS Core 95
6'2" thruster
9'2" "The Gill" (1963) malibu board
9'2" "Waterman" Merricks Longboard (2003)
Brand Affiliation: Peter Lynn

Postby NorthernKitesAus » Wed Jun 14, 2017 1:57 am

May I weigh in here?
I've been converting Naish octopus systems since 2010 and have not had one pop or fail me yet. It's part of my business offering to convert these kites, especially when clients come to me with octopus valves that delaminate and peel. They are not worth the price of a new one as you usually need to replace the male and female valves at the same time. In Australia they retail just under $50 AUD for the pair. Mutiply that with the older Naish kites that have 5 strutts, and you might as well throw the lot in the bin!
Nevertheless, Gigi is correct, but not entirely. ;)
The other user is right to be concerned that if you don't close off the LE holes, the bladders could pop, especially if you have a smaller Naish kite and pump up the leading edge bladder first!
Also I would not be pulling the dump valves out of the strutts directly, as they will most likely tear off and ruin your bladder entirely.
The best way to do this is to pull out ALL the bladders and work away from your kite.
Yes, seal off all the holes as Gigi mentioned, but also seal off the holes on the leading edge of the kite. I don't use ripstop tapes or any tapes here as they can peel over time and suddenly POP when pumping the leading edge bladder!
May I suggest ...
1. a simple piece of flat rubber (I use old bicycle tubes actually)
2. cut circles or sections about 2cm wider than the hole itself
3. dip them into boiling water and quickly place them flat on a wooden plank or clean flat surface and place a book or something heavy and flat over them
4. leave them over night
5. next day, they should all be nice flat pieces of rubber
6. Pump some silicone glue thinly around the inner diameter of the patches, about 1cm in from the edge
7. quickly pick them up carefully and place them inside the inner strutt via the zip and over the leading edge hole.
8. clamp it down with one side piece of wood and other side as well (just squash the leading edge onto it).
9. Leave over night.
10. TIP: If some glue squeezes out onto the other side of the leading edge, you'll know when you try and pry them apart. Just gently pull them apart, but keep your other hand on the new patch so it does not come off with it!
11. Inspect all the patches that they have a firm grip onto the leading edge material (I hope you've cleaned it first!!)
12. Insert all the bladders and pump (I also use extension rubber tubbing with clamps on the dump valves of each strutt - just so much easer to pump and release air - Dr Tubba clamps and tubes)

Go and kite!

Jelle_vw
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2008
Weight: 76
Local Beach: Zandmotor (Netherlands)
Favorite Beaches: Slufter (Netherlands)
Style: Freeride / Oldskool
Gear: Ozone & Shinn
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Jelle_vw » Sat Sep 16, 2017 9:44 am

Does anyone have a tip for putting back the plastic ring over the tube and valve on Ozone kites.
The instruction in the Ozone video @ 5 min. does not seem to work for me.
When I push the ring and pull the tube the tube starts sliding back and I can't the push the ring over the valve.
20170915_210002.jpg

windmaker
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: .
Style: Strapless surf and foil
Gear: F-One & Aeros kites/ HB surf/ Taaroa foil/ Manera

Postby windmaker » Sat Sep 16, 2017 10:14 am

Gigi;) wrote:
Mon Apr 24, 2017 6:36 pm
The original question was to replace the bladders and get new ones without Octopus valves, not fixing them.

But if you have the skills to modify originals by yourself then please read ahead - I will provide you how to with minimum costs, suggest you the products you will need and provide you DIY vs. NEW pros and cons, and not just point you to a whole bunch of products you don't need.

LE

Strut

Pump and Go KITE!!

Tools you will need:

- scissors
- alco swabs (2pcs included with our bladder patches)

Products you will need:

- 1x monster bladder patch - you should get 8pcs of diam. 7.5cm patches out of it (http://drtuba.eu/all-kite-products/repa ... sive-tapes)
- 1x TPU patch film to protect adhesive to stick to other side of the bladder, TPU will ensure long term adhesivity compared to PE or PP patches (http://drtuba.eu/all-kite-products/repa ... film-patch)

Bladder removal/insertion how to:

Pros DIY:
- DIY will come initially cheaper if you know how to do it
- new experience

Cons DIY:
- if you mess something the bladders may leak and you may buy new ones eventually
- inflate/deflate valves will leak heavily when you will put out the pump hose from them, making them soft before you close them (Naish is known for thin struts)
- you need to find 8pcs of deflate caps to close female valves (if you will cut them out you won't be able to seal the holes. but if you will really want to DIY then we can provide you those caps)
- 9mm valves very prone to delaminate on old bladders

Pros NEW:
- new bladders made from our exclusive high quality TPU
- all 9mm valves can be ball mouted - much easier and safe inflation
- long term performance
- affordable pricing for bladders w/o one pump valves installed (email contact us)
- no mess, just install them and go kite!

Cons NEW:
- except greater initial price tag I really can't remember anything else

Cons BOTH:
- not one pump anymore

If you want one pump on them on DIY:

S1. cut hole near the struts on LE
S2. mount some one pump valves on the LE (like this one - http://drtuba.eu/kite-bladders-valves/s ... s-i-insert)
S3. Get inserts for 9mm valves like these - http://drtuba.eu/all-kite-products/repa ... mp-inserts
S4. Get yourself some hose to connect them (http://drtuba.eu/all-kite-products/repa ... ement-sets)

If you want one pump on NEW:
S1. get custom made bladders and all parts for your needs (again we do all kinds of custom solutions)

The one thing I'd be very carefull if you will cut the LE to make one pump holes - be sure to reinforce and stitch around them otherwise the kite can explode there.

Tip no 1, never do this on a sandy beach (unlike the video).. Best way to get sand in the kite.

badgb21
Very Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: High Pines - Duxbury
Chapin/Mayflower Cape Cod
Langebaan
Cape Verde
Gear: None
Brand Affiliation: None. - The words of the prophets are written on the forum “walls”-

Postby badgb21 » Sun Sep 17, 2017 11:09 am

Try the collar the other way around (some have a small lip on them which should not go over the nozzle.)
A dash of Washing up liquid will really help!
If you pull too much tube through, then over compensate by pushing more through to start with.

Jelle_vw wrote:
Sat Sep 16, 2017 9:44 am
Does anyone have a tip for putting back the plastic ring over the tube and valve on Ozone kites.
The instruction in the Ozone video @ 5 min. does not seem to work for me.
When I push the ring and pull the tube the tube starts sliding back and I can't the push the ring over the valve.

20170915_210002.jpg

Return to “Gear Builders”