Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Tips and Tricks to Repair Kites - add your experience!

forum for kitesurfers

knot_moving
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Gear: 9m, 13m bandit 3, SS Turbine,
Underground FLX 138, Sector V2 60, Jimmy Lewis Flight Deck
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Tips and Tricks to Repair Kites - add your experience!

Postby knot_moving » Mon Mar 22, 2010 3:59 am

can someone point me to video or instructions on removing and repairing a LE bladder with one-pump valves? Seems to me it is fraught with opportunities to screw it up so just looking to learn from someone else!
I have a very slow leak - I pump it up and can ride for about an hour before it is noticeably softer. I am tempted to just not worry about it for now, but this nagging voice tells me I am likely to be at the far end of a run away from the beach when it finally really gives out

kiteguy23
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 0

Postby kiteguy23 » Tue Mar 23, 2010 4:22 pm

sail repair question....

Who prefers to sandwhich their tears in their sail between two pieces of ripstop then sew VS cutting out the panel and replacing it with another.

I have seen kiteboarding.com use sandwhich method and airtime uses the panel replace method. I have been using the sandwhich method, but want to know of the other. It seems to save cloth also. They them use someone time of seam stick tape for the panel repair method? Looks like they cut the damangare rea out after its replace with the new level of ripstop...

Also, i use 3/4oz for each layer of my sandwhich repair, anyone use any other weight?

THANKS!

Rhode Island kite freak
Medium Poster

Postby Rhode Island kite freak » Sat Mar 27, 2010 12:36 am

I had a slow leak in my LE bladder which was driving me crazy, so I finally pulled the bladder out and couldn't find the leak by spraying the whole thing with soapy water so I poured about a half liter of warm soapy water INSIDE the partially inflated bladder, shook it around and carefully went over the length of it and found 5 pinholes by looking for bubbles on the outside. it seems to work for those really small holes.
now to get the water out of the bladder!

I thought I would share this with any others with a slow leak in their LE bladder.

rollersailor
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2008
Local Beach: Mokes, Yards and Malekahana
Style: waves
Gear: 6'2" strapped surfboard and 9m-12m whatever I can get a good deal on and works well.

Postby rollersailor » Thu Apr 01, 2010 11:13 am

http://www.cabareteairforce.com/repair_blow_out.html Great method and explained well with good photos.

kiteb1n4ry
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2002
Local Beach: South Padre island!!!
Favorite Beaches: obviously SPI !! actually haven't had time to get much of anywhere else
Style: Freestyle
Gear: Eclipse Kima 9 Thruster 12
GK Sonic 11
Gastra 25 !!! a beast

Postby kiteb1n4ry » Tue Apr 06, 2010 8:55 pm

Rhode Island kite freak wrote:I had a slow leak in my LE bladder which was driving me crazy, so I finally pulled the bladder out and couldn't find the leak by spraying the whole thing with soapy water so I poured about a half liter of warm soapy water INSIDE the partially inflated bladder, shook it around and carefully went over the length of it and found 5 pinholes by looking for bubbles on the outside. it seems to work for those really small holes.
now to get the water out of the bladder!

I thought I would share this with any others with a slow leak in their LE bladder.

i would say normally the water inside the bladder isn't necessary as i have always found the holes in a bladder via the soap and water on the outside of the bladder! but soap and water is a great tip for search for those annoying holes in any bladder.

Raphael
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Local Beach: Virginia Beach, VA
Favorite Beaches: Cape Hatteras, North Carolina
Style: Surf style
Gear: Jimmy Lewis custom KT kitesurfboard, Epic kites, HQ kites, Eclipse kites
Brand Affiliation: Virginia Power Kites, Epic, HQ, Eclipse

Postby Raphael » Thu Apr 22, 2010 11:49 pm

I've sewn entire kites back together so they can fly like new. The trick is to line everything up properly. If you learn how to sew, buy the right type of thread for kiting. Also, you might need to buy some ripstop material. It isn't that hard if you learn to sew.

Raphael
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Local Beach: Virginia Beach, VA
Favorite Beaches: Cape Hatteras, North Carolina
Style: Surf style
Gear: Jimmy Lewis custom KT kitesurfboard, Epic kites, HQ kites, Eclipse kites
Brand Affiliation: Virginia Power Kites, Epic, HQ, Eclipse

Postby Raphael » Thu Apr 22, 2010 11:53 pm

When you take out your popped bladder, pump it and put it in a tub of water. Wherever there are bubbles, you have a leak. You have to tie strings to it--I use lines from a kite--so when you pull it through the central zipper, it will be able to go back. When you fix it, be sure to leave it pumped up for a day to see if it leaks again. Don't put it in upside down. I know from experience. Figure out where the valve will end up on the leading edge.
You can fix a popped bladder.

72kiteboarder
Very Frequent Poster

Postby 72kiteboarder » Sat Jul 03, 2010 4:06 pm

extremecontrol
Medium Poster

Postby extremecontrol » Sat Jul 03, 2010 5:12 pm

No pomp No Kite…………….Here a good tips to fix your pomp …… bring a stopper ball with you!!!!
I was traveling in the Yucatan with some friend of mine when we arrive to a beautiful spot to kite. We was so happy……. wind was blowing 18 20 knots water as perfect flat and worm, I get my 9 mt get the pomp and NO WAY the pomp is not working!!!!!!

I start to looking around but no people, no kiters, no any other pomp no scuba tanks ……….I try to do not lose the calm and find a solution. We open the pomp looking for some thing weird, we try to tighten it as more we can and the pomp starts to generate some pressure!! We are able to inflate the struts but no the LE so at this point we figure out was the plastic little tube in the middle of the metal one. A fisher man is coming to us to see what is going on and I ask him is there is any way to find a scuba tanks around………but the answer doesn’t look any good, so at that point I so really close to give up, but I got an idea, the middle tube couldn’t generate pressure because was disconnected to the base …I will need something to put in the middle………….. what about a stopper ball between the tube and the base to avoid to lose pressure !?!?! Could work…..I think !!!!! and as soon I connect the pomp to the LE it start to get inflated !!!!!!! aaaaa we was so happy and in less than 5 min I was in the water enjoying a beautiful ride!!!!!!

Hope some one could find really helpful this little adventure I had with my pomp and guys never go for I kite trip with just one pomp…………….
www.extremecontrol.net
Please excuse any spelling errors
Attachments
Extreme-Control-Yucatan-Trip-June-2010-1.jpg
Extreme-Control-Yucatan-Trip-June-2010-1.jpg (146.06 KiB) Viewed 1662 times
Extreme-Control-Yucatan-Trip-June-2010.jpg
Extreme-Control-Yucatan-Trip-June-2010.jpg (166.29 KiB) Viewed 1662 times

FL Kiteboarder
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2007
Local Beach: South Jetty, Ft. Pierce, FL USA
Favorite Beaches: South Jetty, Ft. Pierce, FL USA
Anne's Beach, Islamorada, FL USA
Style: Freeriding
Gear: |
Cabrinha: '09 16m XBOW / GK: '08 12m & 9m Trix / Eclipse: '08 14m Thruster
|
2009 Nobile XTR 143x48, T5 137x42 / 2007 Litewave 179

Postby FL Kiteboarder » Sun Jul 04, 2010 2:29 am

-

Speaking of kite pump repair...

Anyone know where you can get replacement "o-rings" that seal-off the kite pump's shaft

(and are located in the screw-off cap of your typical kite pump)?

They can burn-up easily when pumping-up a 16m kite, despite previous

lubrication efforts,

as you will start seeing black smudges appear on your aluminum shaft.

Also, using the wrong lubricant will also degrade the o-ring quickly.

Return to “Kitesurfing”