All times are UTC + 1 hour

[ 42 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Crossbow 13 IDS light wind impressions
PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 3:30 am 
Very Frequent Poster

I had the chance to ride the new CB13 today in winds that were around 10 to 12 mph. I'm 195 lbs and was riding by Contra 17/ SS Glide combo just prior and would have to say there was not that much difference in power with the CB. Other riders were on Contra's and several Flysurfer SA 19's and not riding any more powered. The thing pulled like a truck, turned fairly quickly and the small jumps I had were very floaty. Bar pressure was very good, a little lighter than a SB but very good feedback as to kite position. The biggest knock on the kite would be relaunching. It is challenging and in the light winds you need to push the bar all the way out to have a chance of getting it back up and compared to the Contra or SB it definitely is not as good. When I turned the kite back over to the rep the wind picked up to about 14 mph and at 210 lbs he was easily boosting 15 ft. We tried the IDS system and it's amazing how well it works. Pull the QR, the kite flags and then rolls onto its LE facing the wind with almost no pull. 2 minutes later it was back in the sky.

{ SHARE_ON_FACEBOOK } { SHARE_ON_TWITTER } { SHARE_ON_ORKUT } { SHARE_ON_DIGG } { SHARE_ON_MYSPACE } { SHARE_ON_DELICIOUS }
 Post subject: Re: Crossbow 13 IDS light wind impressions
PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 4:32 am 
Frequent Poster

I was riding with AP today using the CB13. The re launch was quite a challenge in the light wind. I was helping a buddy launch a 12m Omega which is not the best launcher in the Cab line up and it went up easier than the CB13. Like AP said,this kite pulls like a truck and the bar pressure provided good feedback to the rider. We had it on the light setting,it can go even lighter. The upwind is very good, I'd say very close to the SB3. We hope to give it a back to back test this week using a SB3 14m and a Contra3 14m. I was impressed with the IDS,worked great,very easy to flag the kite(this was on the water).

:thumb:

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 6:01 am 
Frequent Poster

alpower wrote:
I had the chance to ride the new CB13 today in winds that were around 10 to 12 mph. I'm 195 lbs and was riding by Contra 17/ SS Glide combo just prior and would have to say there was not that much difference in power with the CB.

That's seems hard to believe. I've owned the 17m contra and the only other LEI that has that kind of power is the 17m TD2. Even Cabs web site shows a pretty big difference in bottom end. http://www.cabrinhakites.com/kites-charts-and-guides/wind-range-chart

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 7:10 am 
Medium Poster

I find many things hard to believe.

Maybe you should wait until you try the kite before comparing it to a completely different kite or commenting on it altogether.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 10:27 am 
Very Frequent Poster

5mmkiter wrote:
I find many things hard to believe.

Maybe you should wait until you try the kite before comparing it to a completely different kite or commenting on it altogether.

I highly doubt a 13m2 bow has the same amount of power as a 17m2 bow. The shape of the 08 and 09 kites hasnt changed that much. And if it is the case, it is more likely that it is the 17m2 that has shitty performace, not that the 13m2 has improved a lot in performance. And if the 13m2 is equivalent to a 17m2, why release a 16m2?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 12:17 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

Read the post. I'm not saying it had the same low end. When I was riding the Contra there was basically me and the SA19 riders. The wind came up 1 or 2 mph when we went out on the CB and then picked up a little further later on. I should add the 2 kites weren't on the water at the same time. There were others riding at the time, including a couple of Contra 14's. The Contra 17 is definitely a better light wind kite but for people who are lucky enough to be a 30 lbs lighter or live where the winds are good the CB 13 could easily be your biggest kite and a good replacement for the Contra 14. I have no intention of buying a new CB, I'm quite happy with by SB3's and Contra but for people in the market it's worth checking out.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 12:48 pm 
Rare Poster

bigwave wrote:
I was riding with AP today using the CB13. The re launch was quite a challenge in the light wind. I was helping a buddy launch a 12m Omega which is not the best launcher in the Cab line up and it went up easier than the CB13. Like AP said,this kite pulls like a truck and the bar pressure provided good feedback to the rider. We had it on the light setting,it can go even lighter. The upwind is very good, I'd say very close to the SB3. We hope to give it a back to back test this week using a SB3 14m and a Contra3 14m. I was impressed with the IDS,worked great,very easy to flag the kite(this was on the water).

:thumb:

Cant wait to hear the comparison between the contra, sb and the new CB/IDS

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 1:15 pm 
Rare Poster

Alpower, thanks for the quick review. Verry interested in this one especially the upwind performance, because its either this one or the Rhino 14. Hope to hear more

thanks martin

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 1:19 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

I have the Contra 14m and it does relaunch very well in light winds, which is an important element in deciding what the bottom end of a kite is. This report makes me less likely to 'upgrade' even though I like some features of the Xbow4.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 4:25 pm 
Medium Poster

At slightly over 210 Im considering replacing the 17 Contra with a 16 XB4. I know this post was for the 13m, just wondering if the 16m is out to the reps yet and what their impressions were in comparison to the 17m Contra. Since the Contra is being pulled Im assuming it must be close, even though when I look at the wind comparison chart on Cabrinha website - my perception is that the Contra 17m still has a couple mph on the low end.

[ 42 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next