All times are UTC + 1 hour

[ 4 posts ] 
 Post subject: 3 x IDS safety questions? Concerns for all level riders.
PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 2:12 am 
Very Frequent Poster

Is the kite still safe and landable if
1.If the bridle is tangled on launch.
2.Bridle breaks in flight.
3.Bridle tangles close to the beach

Does it behave like a normal broken bow kite? Reeking havoc and life threatening danger to the dumbow rider and all other beach goers.

{ SHARE_ON_FACEBOOK } { SHARE_ON_TWITTER } { SHARE_ON_ORKUT } { SHARE_ON_DIGG } { SHARE_ON_MYSPACE } { SHARE_ON_DELICIOUS }
 Post subject: Re: 3 x IDS safety questions? Concerns for all level riders.
PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 2:34 am 
Very Frequent Poster

Hey,

I did watch a guy launch the IDS Crossbow with one side of the lines crossed and it did not do anything funny. He just steered it down and switched the lines. He did not need to flag the kite.

Bridle breaks in flight?
Flag out and I would think it will flag out just like the Cabrinas do on the left front line.

Clew In

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 4:04 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

Clew In wrote:
Hey,

I did watch a guy launch the IDS Crossbow with one side of the lines crossed and it did not do anything funny. He just steered it down and switched the lines. He did not need to flag the kite.

Bridle breaks in flight?
Flag out and I would think it will flag out just like the Cabrinas do on the left front line.

Clew In

I think that this would need to be tested. Consider that the older kites have a system whereby the bar can travel all the way to the kite on the reride safety line. I would ask the question: "How far will the bar slide on the new IDS "life-line", and will the distance be sufficient to allow all the other lines to go slack, so that the kite will stay "flagged-out" on the single unbroken front line?"

This is a question that needs to be answered, not just for the new Cabrinha control system but for all the kites which use this "EVO-Bandit-IDS" style 2 line safety system. I hope that this new style "safety system", (or maybe it will just turn out to be a "convenience system"), will be around long enough to have these safety related questions answered, by independent testing. I hope that a 4 line system with the safety of a 5 line system really does evolve out of this 2 line safety system concept. That would be the "best of both worlds".

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 4:58 pm 
Medium Poster

Experimental player wrote:
Is the kite still safe and landable if
1.If the bridle is tangled on launch.
2.Bridle breaks in flight.
3.Bridle tangles close to the beach

Does it behave like a normal broken bow kite? Reeking havoc and life threatening danger to the dumbow rider and all other beach goers.

Perhaps you can answer these yourself...

Hrrm, if the bridle breaks is the kite still safe?
Well, would you launch the kite with a broken bridle and consider that safe?

Hrrm again, if the bridle is tangled on launch?
Well, would you walk up to your kite, tie a few knots to ensure the bridle is tangled and launch it? Would you consider that safe?

Regards,

.Joel

[ 4 posts ]