Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Pop instruction?

Forum for kitesurfers
Dr_Rosen
Very Frequent Poster
Has thanked: 0

Pop instruction?

Postby Dr_Rosen » Sun Jun 22, 2008 9:16 pm

Does anyone have a videolink to a good pop instruction?

I can jump really high using the kite for lidt etc. Poppin' - well I'm not doing it right. Carving/hold edge with my well powered +200 lbs, I just seem to kill the power instead of popping.

Going downwind a little then carving upwind, but at the end I have to make a little jump myself before I just kill the power by keeping edge, kind of like controlling an overpowered kite.
What should I do different?

waveknave
Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Been thanked: 0

Re: Pop instruction?

Postby waveknave » Sun Jun 22, 2008 9:31 pm

maybe you should try an eclipse kite - brought to you by the bottlers of coca-cola...
i hear theyve got pop.

Windguy
Frequent Poster

Postby Windguy » Sun Jun 22, 2008 9:43 pm

Sounds like you are carving too much upwind. Bear off downwind a bit to get speed and GRADUALLY carve back to just a bit upwind. You should feel overpowered when you release. When you release, Jump off your back leg like if you are going for a layup in basketball.

Konza
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kiel
Gear: LF HiFi, Switch Combat, Slingshot SST
Seaflight Diamond 5'9"
Brand Affiliation: None!

Postby Konza » Sun Jun 22, 2008 9:48 pm

Do it with fullspeed, edge harder and faster!

dooooood
Medium Poster

Postby dooooood » Sun Jun 22, 2008 10:43 pm

if you're killing all your power when you try to pop then you may need to be more powered up. being well powered is essential. you gotta "load the lines" by edging hard against the kite, this is what creates that energy and when you release off the water (by pushing hard on your back foot) that sends you into the air. there are a couple different ways to "pop" or release depending on what type of trick you are going for. the easiest one to learn in my opinion is for moves that you initiate like a raley or backroll, where you release by whipping your board behind you. forward rolls i find a bit more tricky, timing is very essential for these ones. just get out there when you're really powered up and start hucking, it will come together eventually. good luck :bye:

scklandl
Very Frequent Poster
Style: all

Postby scklandl » Mon Jun 23, 2008 5:06 am

Windguy wrote:Sounds like you are carving too much upwind. Bear off downwind a bit to get speed and GRADUALLY carve back to just a bit upwind. .
dont do this

more pop is generated by a very fast carve upwind, a slow carve will put the kite closer to the edge of the window where it will have less power. this is probably what you are doing by holding your edge too long. POP is NOT about holding your edge!

you want to carry as much speed as you can through a quick carve, your legs should be bent, especially your back leg as you should be "pumping" through the carve to help generate power. you want to change directions as wuickly as possible and allow you inertia to create the resistance between you and the kite, NOT a hard edge. when you go to release your board should be flat and your kite will have pulled you back up on top of your board in that last split second.

speed is the most important element, faster you go and the cleaner you make the carve the more pop you will have. when you combine a good pop with throwing the kite you will easily add 5-10' to your boosted jumps

scklandl
Very Frequent Poster
Style: all

Postby scklandl » Mon Jun 23, 2008 5:34 am

http://it.youtube.com/watch?v=PhFVKGbvD ... re=related

2:47 in, watch how fast Lou makes his carves, hes so ffreakin quick it took me a damn long time to find a shot where you could see it Camera angle was touch too

watch how fast hes riding
watch how fast his carve is
watch the dramatic change in riding direction
watch how much speed he has through the carve
and watch how much air he gets

Galeltic
Very Frequent Poster
Location: i m lost cause kiting adrenaline steal my soul with heart

Postby Galeltic » Mon Jun 23, 2008 6:41 am

best way to drink champange and it will give u best pop ! :jump: :naughty: :cool2:

tungsten222

Postby tungsten222 » Mon Jun 23, 2008 8:40 am

bis repetita non placent.
Last edited by tungsten222 on Wed Feb 03, 2010 4:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kuasikiter
Medium Poster

Postby kuasikiter » Mon Jun 23, 2008 10:34 am

all the above describes the pop perfectly:
anyway if you're still looking for a great instructional video put your
hands on this:
Kiteboarding Progression: Advanced

Return to “Kitesurfing”