All times are UTC + 1 hour

[ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Feedback on Takoon Nova 3
PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 11:02 am 
Rare Poster

Hey Guys,

I have managed to have a few sessions on the new Nova 3 and thought I would put some feedback up. I have been flying the Takoon Nova 1/2 Furia and now the Nova 3.

Takoon have once again not disappointed and have produced a well thought out kite that delivers. I have now ridden the 13 in light winds (9 to 14knots) and the 9 in light to moderate gusty winds (12 -22 knots).

The first noticeable difference is the bar. They have now done away with the double line and the NTS system and now run a single line that is sheathed. The safety line is also now also sheathed so as to improve the wear on the lines. It also makes the bar incredibly smooth and easy to use. The main difference you actually feel on the bar is you get to feel more power – which is really nice in light winds. It has kept some of the existing features, like the ability to change the bar length and the contoured grip – which has always been a very comfortable feel underhand. The de-power strap is now above the de-power line – it is on a clam cleat system and easy to reach and use. This is the same cleat that Takoon used to use in last years system which never slipped and was very effective (so it is tried and tested)

Onto the kite – the kite has a slightly lower aspect ratio than last years Furia. The main difference is that Takoon has now moved away from the 5 strut system to 6 struts. They have taken the middle strut away and replaced it with 2 struts on either side which flattens the kite out in the middle of the kite and also makes the kite that little bit more stable in the sky and improves lift. This strut system also helps the kite re-launch better as it keeps its shape in the water and added to the anti-twist leading edge will help the kite deal with surf and get back into the sky quicker. We tested it a couple of times and had no problems – Takoon kites have never had a problem water re-launching and these features are just going to improve an already good system.

The main feedback in terms of the flying of the kite and in particular the feel of the kite is that it is more stable and has more grunt. This relates more to the 13 in lighter winds – you can feel the kite has more power and it pulls more in light winds. The thing I really like is that you have the ability to fine tune this pull by extending 2 lines (a really simple procedure that can be done in 30 seconds) but if you want a kite with grunt and pull then you can have it or if you would rather keep it lighter then use it as standard..

In terms of lift both kites had great lift and hang time. I was very impressed with the amount of lift I was getting with the 13 in the lightish winds. The kite turns a little slower than the Furia, but you are able to adjust this – speed has been slightly sacrificed for power. The 9 turns quickly enough and was great for wave riding – either for following your kite or edging against your kite. The one thing I love is that you still have the de-power in the bar so you are able to edge against your kite without it pulling you off the wave like some kites do. The Furia has been one of the best kites in the waves and I am stoked to see that the Nova 3 is going to follow in it’s footsteps with a couple of improvements. The smoothness of the bar definitely helps in the waves as you can fine tune your power with ease on the wave. The kite is super stable in the wind and sits nicely to allow you to position yourself in the pocket.

Un-hooked the kite felt stable in the sky and had no reverse stalling – although I must admit that I did very little unhooked riding. Even when powered up it did not stall. Safety is never really an issue as there are the standard 3 forms of release that Takoon have not deviated from.

All in all the kite is a well rounded kite suitable to most styles. It gives grunt and lift and has a silky smooth feeling on the bar.. Bottom end of the 13 is a comfortable 9 knots (this was with a surfboard) – top-end – no idea still haven’t been able to test it – although this shouldn’t be a problem with Takoon. I would say that unhooked riding will be no problem but will comment again once tested. What the Nova 3 gives is a more refined and powerful kite that has a great build quality, controllable power and fantastic lift.

Attachments:
bar.jpg
bar.jpg [ 27.09 KIB | Viewed 2763 times ]
Front 9.jpg
Front 9.jpg [ 23.54 KIB | Viewed 2487 times ]
13 v 9.jpg
13 v 9.jpg [ 25.52 KIB | Viewed 2486 times ]
{ SHARE_ON_FACEBOOK } { SHARE_ON_TWITTER } { SHARE_ON_ORKUT } { SHARE_ON_DIGG } { SHARE_ON_MYSPACE } { SHARE_ON_DELICIOUS }
 Post subject: Re: Feedback on Takoon Nova 3
PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 6:53 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

I agree fully with your observations here :thumb:

Would just add a few comments not mentioned :

The Furia is by far the fastest turning kite of the 3 - Furia, Nova3, and ENova2.

But one VERY important difference between the Furia and the Nova3/ENova2 is the depower stroke :D
It is much shorter on the last ones, and still with (selectable) low or perfect bar pressure.

So you can depower very fast, and dont need the trimstrap for anything but unhooked trim or walking on the beach maybe - no more "long arms" needed !

Think I've mentioned it in another post - but could not find it :-?

I love that - not having to adjust the trim when riding hooked almost no matter what wind, it always "fits" like it is, and you get the "feel" of the kite on your backbone, and can really get the highest performance out of your kite :P (not possible if you constantly change the trim, no matter what kite...)

The only downside is, that for the Nova3 it is more difficult for beginners (IMO), as they can easily sheet too much out and lose power, or pull too much so it does not perform max.
This will lead many to immediately think it has less grunt - but it has MUCH more grunt than the other kites, so just a matter of learning, and when you have - it is a powerhouse :thumb:

Whereas the ENova2 is much easier to find the "sweetspot" regarding bar position, and extremely suited for beginners also.
Although, I use the ENova2 mostly myself (and an 11m2 Nova3 for real lightwind conditions) - because I find it has so excellent waveriding/upwind/hangtime features - all in one !

At least my own observations so far...

:- ) Peter Frank

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 9:06 am 
Rare Poster

How much depower do you have when the bar is fully sheeted out? Full depower?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 9:26 am 
Rare Poster

Guys i have an enova2 9m and a Nova3 12m. Now, i have been riding takoon for years and the only fault i can find with the bar setup on these new kites is that the depower line (i.e. the black plastic one that runs all the way up to the depower cleat is too long) - with a waist harness and strong winds its almost impossible to reach the cleat (and i have long arms)
Is there any way to shorten this line without messing up the system or has anyone thought of a homemade NTS to install halfway through because this really is a problem and i guess the only fault on two very impressive and efficient kites.

Many thanks
Mike

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 3:35 pm 
Rare Poster

I would say that you have 90% depower but if you have de-powered the kite on the clam cleat then it is 100%. In terms of reaching the de-power strap - I must say that I hav never had a problem with reaching it - it was easy to release and use. I find that if you lean with your body and arms then it is easy to reach but if you keep your body back then you do battle - basically technique. I use a waist harness which effectively puts it further away and I can still reach.

I know that the F-One Bandit comes with a similar set up as the Takoon but they offer a shorter de-power line to allow you to shorten the de-power line, but as you shorten it you lengthen the line above the de-power strap to compenate for the loss of length. So I see no reason why you couldn't do the same thing here - you would need to be clever about it though. Personally I would keep the system as is as most riders on the Bandit ulitmately preferred the kite with the longer de-power line rather than shortening it as you have more de-power in the bar.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 5:36 pm 
Medium Poster

V true for the feedback on first 2 post...

in addition, it's relaunch ability is vvvvv gd, even in it's lower wind range!!! Say for 12m eNova2 & 13m Nova3 that I tested, it can be relauched easily even in 9-11 knots!

wonderful kites & big improvement fr last yr...

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 5:51 pm 
Rare Poster

Peter_Frank wrote:
But one VERY important difference between the Furia and the Nova3/ENova2 is the depower stroke :D
It is much shorter on the last ones, and still with (selectable) low or perfect bar pressure.
Peter Frank

Hi! Did you try Enova2 with Furia bar ? I have 11 and 7 Furia with one bar does it fit to Enova2? I'm looking for 5 meter kite for waveraiding.
Pawel

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 6:05 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

Jaba_sz wrote:
Peter_Frank wrote:
Peter Frank

Hi! Did you try Enova2 with Furia bar ? I have 11 and 7 Furia with one bar does it fit to Enova2? I'm looking for 5 meter kite for waveraiding.
Pawel

Yes, it does.

You can use the Furia bar for the Enova2 without problems :thumb:

The 5m2 is a sweeeeet kite 8)

Kindly, Peter Frank

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 12:09 am 
Frequent Poster

I'm trying to decide if I should buy a Nova 3 or a Furia 2, and I'd love some advice. I generally like big floaty jumps, free riding and wave riding... and am not too much into tricks.

I'm leaning toward the Nova 3, but......

Thanks

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 8:23 am 
Rare Poster

Depending on the size of the kite you are wanting to go for will also make a difference. I myself have now moved across to the Furia 2 but I am mainly into the waves. The kite is incredibly smooth and solid in the sky. If it is waves that you are into then I would go Furia 2. I find that it also has just that little bit more de-power on the bar - that last little bit at the end of the bar seems to flick the switch - allowing you to shut the power off and ridet the waves better.

[ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next