Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Feedback on Takoon Nova 3

Forum for kitesurfers
Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Feedback on Takoon Nova 3

Postby Peter_Frank » Fri Feb 27, 2009 12:38 pm

Raddamnit wrote:Depending on the size of the kite you are wanting to go for will also make a difference. I myself have now moved across to the Furia 2 but I am mainly into the waves. The kite is incredibly smooth and solid in the sky. If it is waves that you are into then I would go Furia 2. I find that it also has just that little bit more de-power on the bar - that last little bit at the end of the bar seems to flick the switch - allowing you to shut the power off and ridet the waves better.
Very true :thumb:

If you want raw pull (grunt) and best low end (and hangtime), it is no doubt the Nova3.

Also, if you are heavy, it can really give you what you "miss" compared to lighter riders.

Nova3 can be used to waveriding also - but if you are mostly into waves, I would definitely prefer the Furia2 (which is what I ride myself now - for both freestyle and waves) as it is in its right element here :D
Hangtime is also increased and great on the Furia2 (compared to Furia-1)

Nova3 and Furia2 are two quite different kites.

Kindly, Peter Frank

breathe
Frequent Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby breathe » Fri Feb 27, 2009 5:03 pm

I weigh 95kg so I'm planning to get a 13m and a 9m.

I'm a bit confused, so who is the Nova3 built for, and who is the Furia2 built for?

I am basically a freerider, I like to jump as high as possible and float as long as possible, and to play in the waves (but I'm still learning how to ride waves and mostly play in waves between 1-2 meters). I like doing down loops, but can't ever imagine doing low altitude kite loops or handle passes... I also like light bar pressure and huge depower, and a fast turning is nice as long as it doesn't get too fast to make it feel unstable...

I ride the Nova2 now, and I love it because it has massive depower, handles gusts really well, has light bar pressure, and is a great kite for jumping. I'm looking forward to getting a faster kite, and one with more power so that I can fly smaller kites, and both new bars look really nice too. I'd like to get two of the same kites so that I can swap the bars, but I could see geting a Nova3 and a Furia2.

Even though "Nova3 and Furia2 are two quite different kites.", I'm not sure how they are different? Also, by grunt on the Nova3, do you mean that it sits further back in the window? I am use to the Nova2's lack of grunt as it flies close to the edge of the window, so I'm wondering if the Nova3 is a big change?

I was leaning toward the Nova3, but now the Furia2 is maybe sounding pretty sweet.

Thanks in advance for helping me to make this decision, wish I could try both side by side, but they aren't sold in the US.

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Fri Feb 27, 2009 10:18 pm

breathe wrote:I weigh 95kg so I'm planning to get a 13m and a 9m.

I'm a bit confused, so who is the Nova3 built for, and who is the Furia2 built for?

I am basically a freerider, I like to jump as high as possible and float as long as possible, and to play in the waves (but I'm still learning how to ride waves and mostly play in waves between 1-2 meters). I like doing down loops, but can't ever imagine doing low altitude kite loops or handle passes... I also like light bar pressure and huge depower, and a fast turning is nice as long as it doesn't get too fast to make it feel unstable...

I ride the Nova2 now, and I love it because it has massive depower, handles gusts really well, has light bar pressure, and is a great kite for jumping. I'm looking forward to getting a faster kite, and one with more power so that I can fly smaller kites, and both new bars look really nice too. I'd like to get two of the same kites so that I can swap the bars, but I could see geting a Nova3 and a Furia2.

Even though "Nova3 and Furia2 are two quite different kites.", I'm not sure how they are different? Also, by grunt on the Nova3, do you mean that it sits further back in the window? I am use to the Nova2's lack of grunt as it flies close to the edge of the window, so I'm wondering if the Nova3 is a big change?

I was leaning toward the Nova3, but now the Furia2 is maybe sounding pretty sweet.

Thanks in advance for helping me to make this decision, wish I could try both side by side, but they aren't sold in the US.

Well, I am no expert in the Nova3, as I only have the 11m2 as my super light wind kite, and have tried the 9 and 13m2 now and then also (demo kites), but not using these "everyday" like my other kites.
And also because I am only 73kg, so a lot of my knowledge is from friends heavier than me.

So for what its worth, I can only say, that it sounds like the Nova3 would fit you very good.

The only thing could be that the Furia2 seem to work/drift and search forward a bit better in waves - and if you are "new" to waves, it would be nice to have an "easy" kite here, right ?

Apart from that, the Nova3 seems to be the best for your preferences and what you want, as I see it.

Bar pressure is very low in the "low bar pressure" pigtail position, but can be adjusted to quite heavy by using other pigtails.
I personally prefer some bar pressure, but others want it to be feather light.
Generally though, the newer kites has a bit more bar pressure than earlier models - just so you know.

One thing is sure though - be prepared to a great experience, because (compared to your Nova2's) you have full depower on a much shorter stroke so you dont have to trim your kite - and can make max jumps in all conditions, and a much faster turning kite, and still low bar pressure - no matter which of these two kites you choose :thumb:

Kindly, Peter Frank

breathe
Frequent Poster

Postby breathe » Fri Feb 27, 2009 11:41 pm

Thanks Peter,

I know that you know the Nova2 very well, can you tell me if the Nova3 will feel familiar to me, or will it be very different?

And can you tell me who you thing the Furia 2 is designed for?

Thanks

Peter

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Sat Feb 28, 2009 7:16 pm

breathe wrote:Thanks Peter,

I know that you know the Nova2 very well, can you tell me if the Nova3 will feel familiar to me, or will it be very different?

And can you tell me who you thing the Furia 2 is designed for?

Thanks

Peter
To be honest: It will be very different.
Most common feature is the name 8)

I cant tell you what they were designed for, no.
But I can tell you what I find they work best at, thus what I think is the target group.

Nova3 is for the rider seeking heaps of power (grunt) and hangtime, or the heavier rider - the freerider who only occasionally rides waves and only occasionally do more advanced freestyle, but where power is important.
It is very "delta" shaped, and have a good big center lift area.

Furia2 is in fact good for at least two major things - a bit odd but a huge bonus.

Works great for the freestyle rider, pulling all kind of kiteloops and technical tricks. Unhooked it works better than the Furia(1).
It works awesome for waves - turns on a dime like the first Furia, but seek to the edge and dont "hang", so you can go aggressively down the line.
And you CAN deliberately pull the kite deeper in the window if you want, because you have an extra "grunt speed" like I said earlier - if pulling the bar beyond the "natural upwind" point.
More grunt and hangtime than the Furia(1), but not as much as the Nova3 which is by far the most powerful.

Nova3 and Furia2 are both wider (lower AR) than Nova2.
So a stable and rigid canvas and very good and narrow turning radius.
That, and because of the more powerful profile of the Nova3 - is why I dont think it will feel like the Nova2's.

Based on your weight and what you tell me you do, I would recommend the Nova3 :thumb:

But if you seek a kite that feels more like the Nova2, meaning medium power, and possible to depower a lot and still control, you should go for the Furia2 :thumb:

In other words: Would you prefer more power than your Nova2 ?
Or have you got sufficient, and want the benefits of a faster and more "allround" kite, on cost of low end power ?
Thats up to you and your conditions 8)

Both kites are a bit more demanding from the rider, as they have the "Formula1" depower:
Full depower on a short stroke, and still low bar pressure (or more or heavy, if you want that - settings for all)
This take a while to adapt as you might at first sheet too much in and out - but once you get it dialed, your kite kicks ass and you will love this feature :D

Kites today can do that - which is something we only dreamed about a few years ago :wink:
As back then, it seemed like all SLE kites had either too long depower stroke (long arms needed :x ) if they should have low bar pressure - or they had way to heavy bar pressure if short depower stroke (2:1 pulleys back then).
So it was a choice between two evils at that time.
But not any more - now kites can have BOTH short depower stroke and low bar pressure at the same time - yeeeeeeah :P

Hope this answers some of your questions.

Above is of course only my (and some friends) view on these kites - maybe other riders have other or similar inputs ?

Kindly, Peter Frank

breathe
Frequent Poster

Postby breathe » Wed Mar 04, 2009 4:31 pm

thanks for the extra detail.

I tried a 9m Bandit Dos, and really didn't like it. I thought it was too powerful, and didn't have the smooth even power of the Nova2. I really wanted to like the Dos, but it didn't have enough depower, and the power made gusts really uncomfortable. I like the idea of a more powerful N2, but not if it is more "delta like".

One more question do you think the N2 is much more powerful in the low-end than the F2?

I really wish I could just try them side by side, but that's not possible here in the US. I feel that I will be happy with either kite, but that I might grow into the F2 as I get to be a better kiter and progress more, whereas the N2 is a great fit for where I am today. Tough choice!!!

Thanks

razorjack
Rare Poster
Gear: takoon, slingshot

Postby razorjack » Thu Jun 18, 2009 2:37 pm

Hi !!

Few days ago I was testing Nova3 11m2, it was smooth, nice kite, i like it, friends made some gentle kiteloops on it (during landing). My only concern is there available any bar/depower blocker ? (similar to that in cabrinhas). The bar can go away really far (it could be a problem for my girlfriend to grab it back).

I'm plannig to use Nova3 11m2 as my light wind kite. I was using Cab. Convert 12m2 previously, good kite except that it was very slow and there were too much forces on a bar.

Is Nova3 11m2 good choice as light wind kite? (my weight is ~75-78kg)
Is it possible to go upwind in 12-13knts wind conditions (with larger board, say, 135cm)

Is Nova3 good choice for learning UH tricks (s-bend etc.) ? (now, i'm able to do UH railey)
I like big jumps too, but i thing that nova3 has no problem with that.

What do you thing about Furia2 11m2 ? is it worse/better for light wind conditions?
Would Furia2 suit better for my needs?

Return to “Kitesurfing”