All times are UTC + 1 hour

[ 13 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Anyone tried the nobile skimboard?
PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 4:34 pm 
Medium Poster

Any reviews would be appreciated!

jcK

{ SHARE_ON_FACEBOOK } { SHARE_ON_TWITTER } { SHARE_ON_ORKUT } { SHARE_ON_DIGG } { SHARE_ON_MYSPACE } { SHARE_ON_DELICIOUS }
 Post subject: Re: Anyone tried the nobile skimboard?
PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 4:52 pm 
Medium Poster

I would be interested too.... I am thinking about a Zap glass board but I think they are more directional than the Nobile, plus no fins. I know that the fins aren't nescessary (plywood skim for my light wind board) but I like the option.

Shawn

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 4:55 am 
Very Frequent Poster

Havn't used it for skimmboarding yet, but have a lot of fun behind the boat or kite with it.
I was a bit disapointed with the top to bottom deck seams when I first received it, but these in n o way affect the performance and we have a lot of good laughs with it.
goes up wind like a rocket and downwind OK as well as long as you have the fins in place. Otherwise it is like a piece of soap like any other skim board.
Top deck and pad are cool and give a good grip.
Nico

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 8:00 am 
Medium Poster

What do you want to know about it??

Great, fun lightwind board. Awesome upwind. Lots of fun in smaller waves. I've done 10 mile downwinders on it. I've ridden it powered up in 25mph in wind swell and bad chop.

Unless I'm learning new wake/freestyle tricks, I'm pretty much always riding it. I probably look pretty funny on it though cause I'm always smiling like an idiot when I'm riding it.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 9:34 am 
Frequent Poster

5mmkiter wrote:
What do you want to know about it??

Great, fun lightwind board. Awesome upwind. Lots of fun in smaller waves. I've done 10 mile downwinders on it. I've ridden it powered up in 25mph in wind swell and bad chop.

Unless I'm learning new wake/freestyle tricks, I'm pretty much always riding it. I probably look pretty funny on it though cause I'm always smiling like an idiot when I'm riding it.

I have to admit about the smiling part when riding it, petty no one else knows the feeling of riding a skimboard where I'm from. I think its the closest thing to a surfboard but with the advantage of riding TT.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 5:49 pm 
Rare Poster

I've one since a few months, and a big fan of it...

strange during the first sessions, but great light wind fun...

for 'heavy footed' people it will be harder to master. you've to shuffle with your feed on the board to 'feel' where they have to be for the specific conditions... less wind is more at the front an the middle of the board, more wind is more aside and at the back.

hard to keep you feet on in chop,

It can save your day those light summer breeze days... better light wind perfomance than a surfboard...
it also allows you to surf very small sloppy waves. You almost don't need any speed to keep this board afloat.
This can also be a big help for those learning to gibe: no foodstraps, and more forgiving.

After me my brother bought one, and a friend too... also very enthousiast about this toy.

I've also met people who didn't like it... but I'm a big fan...

Try before you buy, but give yourself the time to get used to it...

forgot to mention: you wind 2-3 knots low wind performance compared to a regular TT.

happy kiting !

Nayy

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 9:57 pm 
Frequent Poster

Great board. I think this a board where you need to put the time on and the rewards will follow. A really sweet ride... a just go and buy board.

Two videos below show the progression of M.Shinns skim board riding.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wOHJGvz81kE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zXc3PK5LzqE

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 2:22 am 
Rare Poster

The Nobile is a great riding board. But you should definitely try a few styles of skimmers before picking one up.

Its pretty important to consider the conditions you want to ride in to make the right choice. What wind will you ride in, how much do you weigh, do you ride in butter or heavy chop, do you want to ride in waves, etc.

I am particularly partial to a more traditional outline like the Phase 5 from ZAP without any fins:

Here is some video of that board:

http://www.losethestraps.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=63
http://www.losethestraps.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=64

I can have a great time in 10-15 mph with a 12, and if it picks up to 15mph I can ride a 9. Oh, and definitely smiling like a dork as well! 8)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 9:18 am 
Very Frequent Poster

Had my first wave session with it yesterday and will definitely stick to it until I can shred those waves on it.
Started off shitting myself.
Ended up weaving right through some very fast sections and getting that elusive stimulation that i have been missing lately.
Nico
PS used the fins on it though (still bloody slippery)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 9:46 am 
Frequent Poster

any radical difference between the 07 and the 08? everyone riding it with the stock fins?

[ 13 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next