Forum for kitesurfers
ian c
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Wainman Hawaii- Questions?

Postby ian c » Sun Sep 14, 2008 6:35 am

I spoke to a few people that are more experienced with other high depower kites and they all said it is easy to oversheet these kind of kites so they overfly if you are not used to them.

Instinct told me to fully power them up (depower fully out - all attachments points for max sheeted in..) first time out which is how I like my Cs , but eased up on that today on the 9m Smoke and had a great session - everything on fastest settings and without the bridle (rode fixed 4 line c kite mode today) - huge depower over very small distance, really light bar pressure, rock solid canopy (fattest ever leading edge) with no flutter at all, and most importantly the missing link of every other high depower kite I have ever ridden - being able to generate very hard pull when turning the kite at the edge of the window/ low.

Unhooking you don't have to mess around with depowering to keep it perfectly tuned - just simply unhook... 9m Smoke is about = 10.5m fuel (well if one existed..) I reckon. Would want to spend 90% of my time on this size. Hmm and I was going to wait for 5 sessions at least before I wrote anything - ah well made it to 2.

nalosurf
Rare Poster

Postby nalosurf » Sun Sep 14, 2008 8:45 pm

ian c, how would you compare the rabbit 4 line fixed to the Generator 4 line fixed? I like to ride my Generator on a pulley bar while surfing. I 'm waiting for the Lou series c kites to come out but I understand that they won't be out till next year. Just wondering if it would be worth trying the Rabbit in the meantime.

ian c
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ian c » Sun Sep 14, 2008 9:34 pm

No unhooked wave riding yet. Keen to try all the possible options this kite has including pulley bar.

jochi
Medium Poster

Postby jochi » Mon Sep 15, 2008 2:09 am

out today in 20 - 25 on smoke and then 25- 30 ish on the gypsy. Great day. Trimming these kites is key, they will fly back if oversheeted, but sometimes i do keep it so that when i pull all the way in the kite is slightly oversheeted. THen you can boost massive, although you still flick the kite like a C.

Have to keep experimenting.

I'd be interested to hear more about taking bridles off on the smoke. Sounds good! Lake Michigan was super messy today but nice waves the kites are great so far. But yes....I need to spend more time on them and trim them (also depends on where you connect back lines. On the smoke i was putting them farthest to the LE and on the Gypsy closest. Needed a bit more power on the Gypsy to keep it rock solid, probably was right in the middle of the range for that kite at 30.

Jochi

ian c
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ian c » Mon Sep 15, 2008 8:13 am

"I'd be interested to hear more about taking bridles off on the smoke."

Takes seconds with good teeth. Hook the biggest jump you can and before you get to the top pull into a kloop.

kitenaked
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sherman Island - NorCal
Area 51
Style: not naked
Brand Affiliation: Kite Naked, JN Kites, Cabrinha, Shinn & Wainman

Postby kitenaked » Mon Sep 15, 2008 10:15 pm

For those of you curious...

There were alot of people stopping by to see the "Buzz" going around on the Rabbit Gang kites and the boards at the surfEXPO

The details on the final Wainman Hawaii boards are done including the blunts (twintips) and surf...

Construction and graphics on the Blunts are unreal. Nothing out there quite like this in terms of the construction. Super LIGHT!

The Waiman Hawaii Surf boards are shaped by Jimmy Lewis. Nothing more needs to be said.

Pic of the tasty 135 is attached (43 wide). More pictures to follow of the 135... as well as the rest of the blunts and surf boards.

Stay tuned!!
Attachments
board_green.jpg

kitenaked
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sherman Island - NorCal
Area 51
Style: not naked
Brand Affiliation: Kite Naked, JN Kites, Cabrinha, Shinn & Wainman

Postby kitenaked » Tue Sep 16, 2008 4:29 am

One of my bud's was riding the demo Boss I gave him to play with. Steering lines were already set at the fastest. He moved the bridle to its fast set point as well and said it pulled like his 14 Rhino. Also said that he had his hand off the bar and the kite was sitting at 12 O'clock without any issues with light wind.

More board pic's attached.
Attachments
board_green5.jpg
_MG_6278.jpg
board_green2.jpg

spoetnik
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Scheveningen, Ter Heijde
Brand Affiliation: Wainman Hawaii