Local Beach: Leadbetter and C-Street
Style: Freestyle & Waves
Gear: Wainman all the way!
Brand Affiliation: Airborne Kiteboarding
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Wainman Hawaii- Questions?

Postby wondamic » Sat Nov 29, 2008 10:07 am

doesn't feel the bar a bit too big on the smaller sizes?
You know I've thought the same thing at first, in fact when I received my kites I had to call up and ask if the gypsy was supposed to come with a smaller bar. At first ride I thought, "OK, big ass freaking bar for small as kite, this might get interesting...." but honestly I don't even think about it. It feels totaly kosh hooked or unhooked. But than again, it may be just me. If you give it a go, please let me know how it worked out.

I hope you get Lit!

ClexAook
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Camber
Gear: Wainman Rabbit Smoke and Gypsy.
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby ClexAook » Fri Jan 02, 2009 8:19 pm

After reading this whole thread, i just wanted to add my experience with my rabbits, in hope that it might help people's problems.

I have the smoke and gypsy, as a small fella i have no need for the boss.

I came from riding torches, and am a fan of the 'C' feel, but took the smoke out on demo in search for a kite that could give me that feel whilst retaining a large wind range.

I rode the kites on the stock setting for a while, and had no major problems with the performance, but the kite did hindenburg on me a few times.

I have now run the kites single line for a while, and love the solid feel it gives, but i had to run it on the further forward attachment, as the kite did not want to go upwind at all on the faster setting. I have also set the stopper ball shorter to suit my preference coming from c kites.

The kite still hindenburgs on me at 12 oclock. When watching the kite, it appears that this is caused by the kite tilting forward too much, as it seems when the kite is depowered, the top of the kite is revealed, so the wind effectively pushes it downward, but i never leave the kite at the zenith depowered, so this is not really a problem, just irritating. It also happened to me when i crashed a jump, and my gypsy fell backwards, hauling me on my suicide leash over some distance.

In attempt to stop this, and to recover some more upwind ability, i will be running the kites on the v bridle, on the slowest setting, in the hope that when the kite pivots around a further forward point, it will not reveal it's top to the wind. Will post how i get on with this.

Also, in reply to running the kites on a shorter bar, i now run both my kites on a 17 inch bar, and found this to be a good width.

Hope this helps someone.

Alex.

kiteboardkorea
Medium Poster

Postby kiteboardkorea » Fri Jan 02, 2009 11:19 pm

been riding the Smoke and Gypsie for over 2 months now and did have 1occasion with a falling kite in low winds on the beach when fully sheeted out at 12 oclock with hands off the bar when first flown however I do not kite surf like this............... have never had this issue when on the water and always have one hand on the bar!. These kites are high performance and I would rather have a powerfull fast turning kite than a supper stable slow kite.

best settings for me are with slow front lines and fast rear settings. These are some of the fastest kites on the market and awesome for wave riding.

Drew

jochi
Medium Poster

Postby jochi » Sat Jan 03, 2009 4:39 am

Have been riding all 3 rabbits here on Bonaire for the past 2 weeks, been on the kites since September i think. So for this trip the wainman is turning heads for sure:

I've been on Smoke in 18 - 20 and boss in 12-16, rogue wave twin tip and skim board.

I ride my smoke stock (out of the bag) (I was going to mess with it but i am just having too good a time) and my boss on the fast settings, i set the back pigtails on the furthest knot from the tip but on my gypsy i attach closer to the tip on the back line as I find that the gypsy likes to fly a bit oversheated since there is so much depower.

The hindenburg issue has been raised a few times, but its never happened to me. If i sheet out completely the kite will fall to the water ready for relaunch, that is the safety feature of these kites, pretty much like what a 5th line is supposed to do. But even at 12 if you keep your hands on the bar and fly your kite like you are supposed to there is never problem.

After riding and having people react to the kite and watching others on bests cults and norths, i can say that these kites are like nothing else on the market, and that the people at wainman have put in a LOT of time on the design and stitching.

They are bomber, dropped the kite on the reef and no issues. They have way more dacron and no zippers on the struts. The gypsy is a tank of kites (extra reinforced like nothing else i have seen) which makes sense because its for nuking winds.

After riding naish from Aero II up to Raven III and Torch 08, I have gotten rid of all things naish and am sticking with Wainmans. I had all my naish bars delaminate once they went to white grips (the grip came off) after 1/3 season, and every time it tried a move relaunch was a pain and the new smart loop made it even worse. 5th line would get jammed etc etc and the zippers would blow on the strut deflating the whole kite. But do not get me wrong, i loved my ravens and torches and had a good time on them...but....then the cults etc etc, and i just did not get the stoke from them anymore, other people will feel different i am sure.

These kites relaunch unbelievably and fly super fast, they let me push myself way more. Boosts like a C with a ton of float (see Shawn's video) and pops unhooked better than torch (FOR ME). I am having so much fun is all i can say looping this kite whenever i want.

So it is obvious I am a huge fan of the company, and that i get totally stoked from the ride and the handling of these high performance super safe + simple kites.

So all i can say is TRY IT and see what you think...

I wish these guys at wainman a super 2009 and thank them, they have a great concept/sense of humor and its obvious that its time to think about riding different!

kowalsky
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Baltic sea
Favorite Beaches: Ras Sudr
Style: freestyle,
Gear: JN & flysurfer

Postby kowalsky » Mon Jun 22, 2009 4:01 pm

...so what are the best settings for unhooked riding?
the single point? or the "slow" set up?
cheers

wondamic
Frequent Poster

Postby wondamic » Mon Jun 22, 2009 6:37 pm

If you are a pure unhooked rider and that's all you do....set them ALL to slow. I personally have my front lines to slow and my back lines at simi-fast. This setting for me is all around good!

kowalsky
Rare Poster

Postby kowalsky » Mon Jun 22, 2009 9:15 pm

thanks !
..and what about single point ? :roll:

wondamic
Frequent Poster

Postby wondamic » Tue Jun 23, 2009 2:41 am

Single point is going to give you much more bar pressure and will fly more like a tradional C-kite. So that means your turns will be deeper, less depower and INSANE kiteloops. Have fun!!

noxperpetua
Medium Poster

Postby noxperpetua » Tue Jun 23, 2009 11:05 am

Hi, I'd like to know something more about the new 15 meter..what about low end (I weight around 95kg, 220lb), number of struts, will it have same inflation sistem?could u do some comparison with cabrinha contra 17 or xbow 16 ids...how many knows I could lose in low end - I'm pretty sure there surely be much fun with Wainman!!!just my area is low wind in summer...so need something that can work at 11-12 knots, got also a spleen moster door for go upwind at 9knots, but too heavy for good jumps...

kowalsky
Rare Poster

Postby kowalsky » Tue Jun 23, 2009 1:19 pm

wondamic wrote:Single point is going to give you much more bar pressure and will fly more like a tradional C-kite. So that means your turns will be deeper, less depower and INSANE kiteloops. Have fun!!
Thanks a lot :thumb:

Return to “Kitesurfing”