dannyalvarez
Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Wainman Hawaii- Questions?

Postby dannyalvarez » Fri Aug 22, 2008 2:07 am

.......................................... :?:
Last edited by dannyalvarez on Mon Aug 25, 2008 2:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

optimunwind
Rare Poster

Postby optimunwind » Sat Aug 23, 2008 12:37 pm

Hey everyone, those kites sounds amazing... i have read all your reviews and i also felt the epic session that you had with those kites, i hope to find out soon :wink: . something that i didn't understand there is a extra kit with bridles in the kite? :)

wondamic
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Leadbetter and C-Street
Style: Freestyle & Waves
Gear: Wainman all the way!
Brand Affiliation: Airborne Kiteboarding

Postby wondamic » Sat Aug 23, 2008 5:00 pm

Hey everyone, those kites sounds amazing... i have read all your reviews and i also felt the epic session that you had with those kites, i hope to find out soon . something that i didn't understand there is a extra kit with bridles in the kite?
These kites really are amazing! I love 'em! To answer your question regarding the extra bridle, I think you are refering to the all the extra goodies such as, single point attachment (no bridles at all, it flys more like a "C" kite) pigtails, depower line, chicken loop with no donkey thingie...the list goes on.

I don't know if you are in Southern Cali, but I have the 6.5 and the 12. If ANYONE would like to demo them please contact me. I'll be getting ther 9 soon enough. I have no affiliation, just a brotha that's stoked on the product, what they stand for and the people behind the scene.

I will be writing a review myself. I don't have much experience of writing them, but I am a visual learner, so I will have pictures and video. Once again, I strongly believe in demo before you buy, so hit me up if you want to go for a ride you will never forget.

WondaMic

jochi
Medium Poster

Postby jochi » Sat Aug 23, 2008 5:54 pm

Just got my :cool2: 9 in the mail and it looks great. It's supposed to blow 15 - 20 here tomorrow and i am dying to go out (also got a new Rogue Wave custom Skim Board which looks terrific).

Not sure if there should be a new topic for people that have bought the kites to discuss set up and tips but I wanted to ask a couple questions, as I have been riding C kites exclusively (ravens and Torches for about 4 years).

Most of my questions are based on the fact that I ride alone quite a bit. The 5th line shift system (5th element on north) has been great for me both for self landing and launching.

1) How are people attaching the mini 5th line to their rabbit bars, attached to the 2 safety loops or to the steel swivel? Is it even necessary because there is no stopper on the throw (probably because the throw is relatively short compared to SLE that its not needed.

2) Would anyone consider retrofitting a full 5th line to their kites especially when converting their rabbits to full non bridled mode? There is a spot on the LE of the kite for a 5th line.

3) How do you self launch these kites (like an SLE on its side when the chicken loop is fixed to a post or stationary object) or with sand on the wing tip like a C kite).

4) How do you self land the kites, just try and flag it out on the safety i suppose (most important in stronger winds), and gently crash on the side of the window (in light winds). Or by attaching the chicken loop to a post and walking up 1 center line.

I'll write a review as well once i have it in the air and a solid session but its also going to be non-technical as well.

Jochi

johnm
Frequent Poster

Postby johnm » Mon Aug 25, 2008 2:19 pm

anyone else tried the 9 unhooked on 17m lines?

sooooo much fun! :thumb:

kite4food
Rare Poster

Postby kite4food » Mon Aug 25, 2008 3:29 pm

Hey Jochi,

There is a Wainman Hawaii Riders Group on Facebook. You'll find good reviews and tuning tips there. Just search... Wainman Hawaii Riders.

to answer your questions:

1) I have not found the need for the Mini 5th line. The kites depower SO much just with the throw of the bar, that even in Suicide Mode, the the kite drops powerless. If you do want to use it, run it up through the center of the bar and attach to the re-ride loops.

2) I would never use a full 5th line unless the kite couldn't fly right without it. More drag, more to tangle, and no way to undo an inverted line on the fly. This kite is not meant for 5th line. The little loop at the center of the leading edge is for attaching your kite pump during inflation.

3) Do not self launch this kite like a C-kite. It launches like a bow and rolls very easily. If you are on sand in open safe area with lots of downwind room, place the kite on the sand with the nose pointed mostly into the wind (normal kite on beach position). A little sand on the canopy center will keep it in place until you tense the lines up. Walk perpendicular and just a little up wind of the kite, pull on the furthest wing tip, and it will catch the wind rotate and launch. If it starts to tumble or stall, just push the bar out and continue to steer. The safer way is to unwind your lines in the water, push the kite away from you, and do a classic water launch. (just pull on one of the side lines)

4) Self Landing is easy with the rabbits. Just attach your leash directly to one of the red center line re-ride loops. Bring the kite down on the side of the window (the opposite side from which you attached the leash), and unhook. Smartest to do it on water or in a wind shadow to avoid any tumble down wind which could damage the kite.

www.skybanditz.com has all the Rabbit Gang in stock with Free DHL shipping.

Slisje
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Scheveningen
Style: Freeride
Brand Affiliation: www.hanglos.nl

Postby Slisje » Fri Aug 29, 2008 6:52 pm

Here a Rabbit from the Netherlands...
Attachments
chrisloopoostliggend.jpg
a small loop on the gypsy in the Netherlands

Slisje
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Scheveningen
Style: Freeride
Brand Affiliation: www.hanglos.nl

Postby Slisje » Fri Aug 29, 2008 7:06 pm

and some airtime during recent storm (30 to 40 knots)
around 17 till 20 meters high :baby:

for the netherlands please contact me... :bye:
chris @ wainmanhawaii.com
Attachments
Slissssss.JPG
where is the ground?!

spoetnik
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Scheveningen, Ter Heijde
Brand Affiliation: Wainman Hawaii

Postby spoetnik » Fri Aug 29, 2008 8:55 pm

Nice picas Slisje!
Thanks for letting me test the 6.5 and the 9 at the Slufter beach, the felt so easy!. Almost thought of spinning a loop myself!!

Return to “Kitesurfing”