All times are UTC + 1 hour

[ 11 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Cabrinha Nitro 12
PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 5:30 pm 
Rare Poster

Hi

Im just wondering if anyone can help me. What would a 2004 Cabrinha Nitro 12 be like as a first kite? (I weigh roughly 70kg)

Thanks a lot

{ SHARE_ON_FACEBOOK } { SHARE_ON_TWITTER } { SHARE_ON_ORKUT } { SHARE_ON_DIGG } { SHARE_ON_MYSPACE } { SHARE_ON_DELICIOUS }
 Post subject: Re: Cabrinha Nitro 12
PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 5:49 pm 
Rare Poster

My first kite was a 2004 Nitro 17. I have to say I wish I had bought a different kite now. The kite didnt relaunch as well as advertised. The Recon system was less than effective. It seemed slow compared to some of the C-kites made today. I did learn on it, and I did have fun with it, but if I were to recommend a kite, I would say find a newer used BOW or SLE. It will increase your learning curve for sure.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 5:51 pm 
Frequent Poster

recon? bad.
no, REALLY BAD.

amongst other problems.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 6:53 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

I rode a Nitro 12 (2003). Pretty nice kite, but compared to something newer it's definitely outdated in terms of safety and ease of use.

Also, it's a 5 year old kite, so unless it's never been used it may be ready to fall apart.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 1:23 am 
Very Frequent Poster

wouldnt call it a "good first kite"

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 2:45 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

I learned on an 04 Nitro 12. The Recon system is OK once you figure it out but it requires some finesse. There is very little depower compared to the newer kites. I used to call it "the 2 seconds of terror" when you didn't know where the kite was since it would slam you around for 2 seconds before the kite hit the water. It was a good kite for the time but your learning curve will be much quicker if you get a high depower C or a bow kite. A few months later I switched to the Crossbow (when they first came out) and my learning curve was much steeper then.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 6:44 pm 
Frequent Poster

Nah, a 5 year old kite is not going to make the cut:
The safety, wind range and water relaunch just aren't good relative to what newer kites would give you.

If you don't want to spend too much, you can go for an omega or a 2007/08 second hand Convert /Switchblade.

not sure about the wind conditions and your body weight but a 9sqm kite could be a better buy ?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 5:53 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

Worth 25$ max. Recon bad, Impossible to relaunch traditionaly. Kite likes to jellyfish. bag sucks, kite does jump nice though.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 7:45 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

Interesting to hear all the negative comments on Recon. My first kites were Cab w/ Recon 2. All three kites worked great for relaunch. Very reliable. Also, the kites could be launched in the traditional manner...flip it on the back and work to side of window. For Recon, just pull on a back line and the kite flips on a side and relaunches. I still use my 16m..expect to replace it this year. The real problem with Recon is that the rear lines tagle if you let if flap when holding it ready for an assisted launch. This can be bad if you launch when tangled.

I'm off topic a bit related to the 12m Nitro...but Recon works great for me. It is as easy as any other kite I've relaunched...bows and SLEs included.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 10:23 pm 
Medium Poster

dude people are freekin pansy now.... everyone learnd on C kites before... I lernd on a Nitro it was a great kite... learning on a C kite makes your board skills rocket!!! you have to learn proper edging to controle your speed and to deal with gusts.... alot of the time its depower this depower that .... tell you one thing i learnd on a C kite and am now on a SLE(thinking about going back to C's) when the wind is up and down im not the one wining about the conditions and nervous cause i dont rely on pushing the bar away!!!
and ya relauch might take longer but its somthing you have to learn just like going up wind!!!

[ 11 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next