All times are UTC + 1 hour

[ 4 posts ] 
 Post subject: 2007 GK Sonic 8m Favourite AKPO setup
PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 12:06 pm 
Rare Poster

One for he GK Sonic 8m 07 owners, I just got one second hand , I already have a 07 11m Sonic - know and love it well including all the AKPO settings for different wind strengths.

Just wondering what are the favourite settings people go for on the 8m ? I'd probably be flying it 25 mph upwards, I'd be on the 11m on anything under that. It would be cool to find out the consensus on this kite's best setup and save me a bit of time , flying and trying to find it myself.

Thanks

{ SHARE_ON_FACEBOOK } { SHARE_ON_TWITTER } { SHARE_ON_ORKUT } { SHARE_ON_DIGG } { SHARE_ON_MYSPACE } { SHARE_ON_DELICIOUS }
 Post subject: Re: 2007 GK Sonic 8m Favourite AKPO setup
PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 1:03 pm 
Frequent Poster

Use whatever you want on the front bridle setup, but definately use B2 or B1 on the rear. The kite will flare if sheeted in hard on B3 or B4. Because it's smaller than the 11m, the bar pressure is about the same on B2 compared to B3 on the larger kite, so it ends up pretty light anyway.

I just use F2/F4 on the middle knot with B2 on the rear.

This kite has a gigantic windrange, it can get me going in 15 knots and i reckon i could hold onto it even in 40 knots. An excellent kite which will send you to the moon if you send it hard in some serious wind. One of the highest jumping kites i've ever had.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 2:56 pm 
Rare Poster

Thanks for the info Neill, the kite has the front bridles setup on the first knot , whereas I've only ever used my 11m on the middle knot and I'm v happy with this setup.

Thought it might be the standard position as the kite is smaller but think I'll go to the middle knot with f2/f4 and B2 at the back see how it feels . . . . . if its a quicker version of the 11m I can believe it boosts very well indeed. :D

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 12:38 am 
Frequent Poster

Mate, if the wind is consistently over 20 knots this kite will send you very high indeed, it's better to jump than the 11 because as you turn it back it picks up speed quicker across the window. Because the sonics need speed to generate power, this is a good thing. You can also hold it later before releasing your edge which results in more height too. The biggest jumps i've ever done are on this kite in 30 knots. It's much easier to jump with a smaller, faster kite too, particularly if you are using a wave as a ramp, it's a lot easier to time it all - and timing is everything.

Having said all that, once you start doing 40 footers on this kite, you will quickly have to learn how to downloop it to soften your landing, because it will drop you quick smart if you let it sit above you on the way down. Loop it like lennie!

[ 4 posts ]