Very Frequent Poster
Style: Wave
Gear: 09 Eclipse Kima's, Surfboard
Brand Affiliation: None ride what I like
Has thanked: 0

Re: Wow light wind wave riding on a 9m Nano

Postby Kevin Salter » Thu Jul 24, 2008 7:39 am

wave2kite wrote:Hi Kevin,

What Fuel sizes would you compare the 6 and the 9 Nano with? Top and bottom end for both on a surfboard?

Thanks,
T.

Note I'm comparing to 06 13m fuel / 05 9m fuel / 06 8m octane/ 05 5m diesel , so later fuels might be different.

The 9m Nano would cover the fuel 11m bottom end and might be close to the 13m, the difference being that the 9m Nano turns really well in 10>>12 knts in which the 13m fuel would not go down the line well.
Top end for the 9m Nano would be at least the fuel 9m top end, being a lot more comfortable in the top end vs the 9m fuel, due to the Nano having a lot more static depower on the bar throw.

Eclipse say 13>>>28 knts for the 9m and 15>>40 knts for the 6m for an 80 kg rider and that feels about right.

The 6m Nano has the bottom end of the 7m fuel/ 8m octane and more top end than my 5m diesel which is smaller in actual size than the 5m fuel.

The Nano's don't have the same boost, but have more hang time than the fuels which is easier for wave riding.

I used to crank on a fair bit of 5th line trim on the fuels to kill some of the power in the turns to get them the way I wanted for wave riding when they were powered up, but with the Nano's the bar throw or depower strap do alot more than the fuels, and result in a very easy ride in waves.

suRff
Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: my lifestyle
Been thanked: 0

Postby suRff » Thu Jul 24, 2008 9:09 am

no offence kevin, as i read your posts and mostly agree with what you have to say, but what you describe could be said for most modern sub 9m SLEs once you get used to them. recent ones that i've tried were the rev, xbow3 (ok it's a bow), sonic, and the waroo. going a with size or two smaller on the kite and a surfboard and there is not to huge a difference between these kites these days (once you have them dialed to your liking). the key is going with a kite that is just big enough to get you around on the surf board. im sure there are big differences when going with a TT and a 12m+ kite. i'll try and test one and see if i can really feel a difference.

Kevin Salter
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Kevin Salter » Thu Jul 24, 2008 9:59 am

suRff wrote:no offence kevin, as i read your posts and mostly agree with what you have to say, but what you describe could be said for most modern sub 9m SLEs once you get used to them. recent ones that i've tried were the rev, xbow3 (ok it's a bow), sonic, and the waroo. going a with size or two smaller on the kite and a surfboard and there is not to huge a difference between these kites these days (once you have them dialed to your liking). the key is going with a kite that is just big enough to get you around on the surf board. im sure there are big differences when going with a TT and a 12m+ kite. i'll try and test one and see if i can really feel a difference.
Yes I agree , I've ridden the 9m Rev, Helix ,SB3, Waroo etc probably have similar bottom end to the 9m Nano on a surfboard riding upwind, but they wont ride down wind on waves in the lighter conditions like a 9m Nano.

A lot of SLE's are too optimized for upwind riding, which doesn't make for a good kite for down wind riding in side shore waves, especially in the smaller sizes like 5m or 7m .

Small C kites will ride down the line and be responsive in turns in conditions that you can't get upwind on them in.

The Nano 6m and 9m are the only SLE's I've tried that match or better C kites in this regard.

A lot of people only ride upwind on waves so it doesn't really matter what they ride, but if you want to ride down the line waves on a surfboard with minimal kite power most Bows or SLE's won't do it as well as a small C kite.

If you ride a TT down the line with a lot of kite power and ride fast and open, once again it doesn't really matter what you ride, but if you want to ride top to bottom and surf the wave and time it well on a surfboard you need a kite that maintains rear line tension and that responds well to bar input any where in the window.

gkram
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Lyall Bay, New Zealand
Favorite Beaches: Lyall Bay, New Zealand
Titahi Bay, New Zealand
The Wairarapa, New Zealand
The Taranaki, New Zealand
Narrowneck/Main Beach, Gold Coast, Australia
Style: Surf style
Gear: Eclipse Kima 6m & 9m & Eclipse Nano 11m
Firewire surfboards http://www.firewiresurfboards.com
Brand Affiliation: Riding for "The Kiteboarding Shop" in New Zealand
Location: Wellington, New Zealand & Gold Coast - Australia for the summer :-)
Been thanked: 0

Postby gkram » Thu Jul 24, 2008 10:37 am

Yes I agree , I've ridden the 9m Rev, Helix ,SB3, Waroo etc probably have similar bottom end to the 9m Nano on a surfboard riding upwind, but they wont ride down wind on waves in the lighter conditions like a 9m Nano.

A lot of SLE's are too optimized for upwind riding, which doesn't make for a good kite for down wind riding in side shore waves, especially in the smaller sizes like 5m or 7m .

Small C kites will ride down the line and be responsive in turns in conditions that you can't get upwind on them in.

The Nano 6m and 9m are the only SLE's I've tried that match or better C kites in this regard.

A lot of people only ride upwind on waves so it doesn't really matter what they ride, but if you want to ride down the line waves on a surfboard with minimal kite power most Bows or SLE's won't do it as well as a small C kite.

If you ride a TT down the line with a lot of kite power and ride fast and open, once again it doesn't really matter what you ride, but if you want to ride top to bottom and surf the wave and time it well on a surfboard you need a kite that maintains rear line tension and that responds well to bar input any where in the window.
Hey Kevin, have you ridden them unhooked on a wave? I'd be interested to know how they perform with unhooked wave riding.

Kevin Salter
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Kevin Salter » Thu Jul 24, 2008 10:06 pm

Don't get much of a chance to unhook here cos of the often gusty cross off 20 knt wind variation, especially this time of year but the Nano's are described by Eclipse as being a wake style wave riding kite that unhooks well.

The Nano is a lower aspect kite with a fuller canopy profile than a lot of other Sle's so it feels perfect for wave riding and it still jumps really well especially of waves.

A lot of other Sle's for me are too on off with the power delivery and turning response to make them good down the line wave riding kites.

Return to “Kitesurfing”